Mental illness + theological studies = ....

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Mental illness + theological studies = ....
http://www.screamforme.com/forum/viewtop...rchangelos

I thought this might be an interesting case study. But first let me give you the context. I used to post on this forum (music-related, nothing to do specifically with either theism or atheism). This also happened to be the 'shelter' of a certain... let's just call him 'person'. I say 'shelter' because he had posted there for a great number of years before (finally) being banned this year, and some of the 'oldies' would come to his defense whenever he threatened to leave. His modus operandi included:
- creating a username, then abandoning it after a while and creating another one; I think I may have counted about 10-15 of them
- when abandoning a user name, for whatever reason, he would adopt the position of a victim, complaining that the other users didn't understand him, derided his beliefs or didn't ask 'the right' questions; he always swear he would never come back, that is, not until the very next day/week/month;
- posting huge loads of copy-pasted, obscure, religious/philosophic material, plus humongous amounts of pictures, usually unrelated to the main topic of the thread, unless created by himself
- creating threads which he later filled entirely or almost entirely with his own posts (as in the example above); often replying to his own posts
- Jesusbabble
- fiercely attacking whomever happened to disagree with him, usually calling them 'ignorant', then providing some biblical quote to support his assertions
- whenever he would post under a different username, he would deny his previous identity, stating he had nothing to do with 'that person' (an obvious lie)

I often wondered what his problem was. He mentioned on a few occasions that he had psychological issues, but I'm not sure exactly what he suffered from. He often had delusions of grandeur, calling himself a 'genius', a 'prophet', a 'mind reader' etc. He definitely wasn't stupid. He was particularly adept in using sophistry to confuse the 'audience', not that anyone ever bothered to read his posts.

My question to you is, how would you categorize, and most of all, how would you deal with a person like this? Is it even worth trying to debate them if they are evidently psychotic? Or is it better to just ignore them?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2010, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2010 11:59 AM by Unbeliever.)
RE: Mental illness + theological studies = ....
I would ignore him, with perhaps a post every once in a while to warn new members that he's just trolling and is very likely insane.
Okay, just read that... that dude is balls-to-the-wall batshit. CaptainHook appears to be among the whole "It looks like nonsense to me, and I have no idea what he's talking about, but he has pictures and quotes scripture and talks about deep spiritual stuff so he must be smart!" crowd.
Stay away from this guy would be my advice. He's too far gone to help.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
24-03-2010, 12:16 PM

That's a tough call considering all of the unknowns. I guess I would just treat him like everyone else. Obviously he's mastered the art of self destruction so I don't think it would reflect poorly on you at all. It could actually illuminate some of the contradictory philosophy that he must surely possess and give you an opportunity to shine some light on the weaknesses in his arguments. On the other hand, why get in a pigpen with a contender that doesn't play fair and likes to get all messy. I guess I'm of the mind that you'll probably lose some of your own sanity trying to deal with that kind of insanity. I mean it's already affected you in a way that seems less than positive so why bother? Of course it's all just words on a machine and really doesn't matter anyway. So really that's sort of a personal call. What's it worth to you?
Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2010, 12:16 PM
(24-03-2010 11:53 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I would ignore him, with perhaps a post every once in a while to warn new members that he's just trolling and is very likely insane.
Okay, just read that... that dude is balls-to-the-wall batshit. CaptainHook appears to be among the whole "It looks like nonsense to me, and I have no idea what he's talking about, but he has pictures and quotes scripture and talks about deep spiritual stuff so he must be smart!" crowd.
Stay away from this guy would be my advice. He's too far gone to help.

X2, especially on the bat-shit part. I got a page and a half in and had to stop reading for fear of losing my own mind. Not only is this guy a complete nut, but he's a follower of his own one-man-cult. Makes Martin look like a completely reasonable individual! LOL

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
24-03-2010, 12:30 PM

Reminds me of this YouTube user, katdanmo2:

http://www.youtube.com/user/katdanmo2

Just look at the rant under the "About Me" section. Either he is the same individual as Archangelos or just as nut-baggy (is there such a word?)

Although, I had always wondered if katdanmo2 might just had been a 10-12 year old kid who was just messing around...reading through his rants, he seems pretty authentic (in craziness, I mean).
24-03-2010, 12:31 PM

I say enjoy it to the max.
24-03-2010, 01:07 PM
(24-03-2010 12:16 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  Of course it's all just words on a machine and really doesn't matter anyway. So really that's sort of a personal call. What's it worth to you?

I simply wanted to give an example of how bad it can get. This guy is mad, but he possesses some degree of intelligence. And I'm not sure which is the most dangerous of the two: a stupid theist, who can easily be manipulated through the use of religion, or an intelligent, but insane one? What if he could actually get people to listen and follow him? It was always my belief, though never proven, that many religious leaders didn't even believe in religion, but used it to keep the population under they control and take advantage of their naivety, superstitions and fears so as to make them serve their interests. Yet, one who actually believes everything he preaches, who thinks he can talk to god and that if he'll blow up the world he'll go to heaven, isn't that even worse?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
24-03-2010, 02:23 PM
(24-03-2010 01:07 PM)Juppers Wrote:  
(24-03-2010 12:16 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  Of course it's all just words on a machine and really doesn't matter anyway. So really that's sort of a personal call. What's it worth to you?

I simply wanted to give an example of how bad it can get. This guy is mad, but he possesses some degree of intelligence. And I'm not sure which is the most dangerous of the two: a stupid theist, who can easily be manipulated through the use of religion, or an intelligent, but insane one? What if he could actually get people to listen and follow him? It was always my belief, though never proven, that many religious leaders didn't even believe in religion, but used it to keep the population under they control and take advantage of their naivety, superstitions and fears so as to make them serve their interests. Yet, one who actually believes everything he preaches, who thinks he can talk to god and that if he'll blow up the world he'll go to heaven, isn't that even worse?

Undoubtedly, which is why AboveTopSecret and the David Icke forums are such scary places to spend extended amounts of time at. The vast majority of users are simply run-of-the-mill kooks, but the big ones - the ones with an actual understanding of English - can be formidable simply from the fanatical devotion they wield. These are their paragons, those who are so insane as to have come around the other side into intelligence. They believe with all their hearts and minds that everything they say is the gospel truth, and they have the charisma to pull it off so well that everyone on the forum believes them to be gods.
I weep for humanity if they ever manage to rally their followers.

- Terry Pratchett
24-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Just a question that occurred to me:

Based on the Archangelos case (or on any other similar ones you may know of) and on the fact that psychosis and religion have the delusional factor in common, would you rather say that a certain amount of psychosis is inherent to religion and may, in some circumstances, reach apotheosis (as is the case here), or that the latter is a manifestation, a channel of the former? In other words, is psychosis a part of religion, or is religion a part of psychosis? Or are they unrelated?

24-03-2010, 02:59 PM
(24-03-2010 02:55 PM)Juppers Wrote:  Just a question that occurred to me:

Based on the Archangelos case (or on any other similar ones you may know of) and on the fact that psychosis and religion have the delusional factor in common, would you rather say that a certain amount of psychosis is inherent to religion and may, in some circumstances, reach apotheosis (as is the case here), or that the latter is a manifestation, a channel of the former? In other words, is psychosis a part of religion, or is religion a part of psychosis? Or are they unrelated?

I have no idea, but it is an interesting question.

- Terry Pratchett