Mental illness + theological studies = ....

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-03-2010, 04:51 PM
RE: Mental illness + theological studies = ....
He's nuttier than a squirrel!

Reminds me of VemonFangX, only slightly less hateful.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Wow--I didn't even look at the website before I commented. I figured a generic response would be adequate to cover a large variety of kooks but this guy has an obvious degree of mental retardation that pretty much precludes any relevance his mission may suppose. There is really no legitimate rationale for wanting to engage this type of mind in any way other than scientific study or psychological therapy. I feel kind of sad for this poor fellow--it's not only a combination of religion mixed with paranoid delusion, but this brain is way underdeveloped to begin with. This is a mentally disturbed individual with a child's mind whose challenges are only exacerbated by the introduction of irrational superstition. He's unable to conduct coherence in his discourse and has no clue how to develop a discernible or an intelligible train of thought. I mean he is really disconnected.

I'm tempted to ridicule people who are malevolent towards others, but I feel in this case it would be irresponsible for anybody to laugh at this kind of mental retardation and it's probably best to leave it alone. I guess I didn't really understand the severity of the predicament this individual is in. He's in real trouble and his life can't possibly have a desirable outcome without intensive therapeutical intervention. I say run the other direction and don't look back. There's nothing any of us can do to positively affect the situation. All you can do is steer clear. Yikes.

It does leave you wondering to what extent the role mental illness plays in the religious community. I'd have to suspect it's more pervasive than anyone could possibly know. Some of these saints and prophets were nothing more than people with an inordinate amount of mental instability due to a wide range of afflictions. I've heard references to epilepsy and other seizure oriented conditions that twist and bind the body at the same time producing hallucinatory effects that cause them to believe they are receiving divine counsel and direction. I mean psychiatry and psychology are relatively recent developments in human history, so there's no telling how bizarre culture was when these religions were growing and flourishing within the populous of developing cultures. This problem is far reaching and deeply entrenched in all sub levels of human society. And it can only become worse with the intensification of desperation for the basic utilities and necessities that make life in a modern world possible. If you think the crap is thick now then you can go ahead and relax because the really deep doo doo is yet to come.
Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:"...psychiatry and psychology are relatively recent developments in human history..."

Well, that explains Scientology... Smile
26-03-2010, 02:53 AM

(25-03-2010 02:17 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  
Quote:"...psychiatry and psychology are relatively recent developments in human history..."

I know--what the hell is scientology! The study of science? Science is the study of science.
26-03-2010, 05:59 AM

Hi...
A Christian minister is an agent in individual and corporate human relations. What he is as a person is indispensable to the performance of his functions. He needs emotional and intellectual maturity to maintain and sustain himself in the work of the ministry.

1. The Situation. What is the prevailing state of the clergy’s capabilities in mental health? Some diagnosis should precede prescription. Generalizations are not safe, but the data permit some guarded generalization.

The Institute for Advanced Pastoral Studies (hereafter in this article referred to as LAPS) during eleven years has had a teaching relationship with three thousand clergy from more than forty churches and from many parts of the world. Prior to attendance, each one completed and sent back a questionnaire designed to describe the respondent’s needs and areas of interest. The study of these returns correlated with the insights about these same people during the conferences. They revealed the following:

A. They lack clarity about their own self-identity. Many clergy feel conflict between being a man and being a minister which confuses and blocks their personal and professional relationship.

B. They do not know how to deal with the hostility in themselves and others.

C. They feel a sense of loneliness, based on their fear of others and their fear of themselves, that makes them cautious and servants of the status quo.

D. A sense of personal inadequacy is strong among ministers. They lack discipline in the organization of their activities and study. Impatience and psychological impotence often make a joint appearance.
26-03-2010, 06:19 AM
I must say, this is an impressive bot.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Yeah, but now it's getting annoying...
26-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Kind of inspiring in a way. It's amazing how "smart" these things get.

Sadly, intelligence usually has a direct correlation with the ability to annoy in these sorts of situations.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
27-03-2010, 09:48 PM

(26-03-2010 02:53 AM)Grassharpper Wrote:  
(25-03-2010 02:17 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  

I know--what the hell is scientology! The study of science? Science is the study of science.

Scientology is a cult/religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

It was started by L. Ron Hubbard in 1952. Yes, L. Ron Hubbard, creator of the 'epic fail' movie Battlefield Earth starring his favourite member John "Vinnie Barbarino" Travolta.

If you thought Christianity was wacko, wait until you read what THESE guys believe in. It's up there with Mormonism. Smile
(24-03-2010 02:55 PM)Juppers Wrote:  Just a question that occurred to me:

Based on the Archangelos case (or on any other similar ones you may know of) and on the fact that psychosis and religion have the delusional factor in common, would you rather say that a certain amount of psychosis is inherent to religion and may, in some circumstances, reach apotheosis (as is the case here), or that the latter is a manifestation, a channel of the former? In other words, is psychosis a part of religion, or is religion a part of psychosis? Or are they unrelated?

Juppers, the following article from Wikipedia has many analyses from historical psychiatrists on their take of religion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_religion

An excerpt from Sigmund Freud:

"Sigmund Freud (1856-1939) gave explanations of the genesis of religion in his various writings. In Totem and Taboo, he applied the idea of the Oedipus complex (involving unresolved sexual feelings of, for example, a son toward his mother and hostility toward his father) and postulated its emergence in the primordial stage of human development.

In Moses and Monotheism, Freud reconstructed biblical history in accordance with his general theory. His ideas were also developed in The Future of an Illusion. When Freud spoke of religion as an illusion, he maintained that it is a fantasy structure from which a man must be set free if he is to grow to maturity.

Freud views the idea of God as being a version of the father image, and religious belief as at bottom infantile and neurotic. Authoritarian religion is dysfunctional and alienates man from himself."

Couldn't agree more. Smile
28-03-2010, 08:28 AM
(27-03-2010 09:48 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Juppers, the following article from Wikipedia has many analyses from historical psychiatrists on their take of religion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_religion

An excerpt from Sigmund Freud:

"Sigmund Freud (1856-1939) gave explanations of the genesis of religion in his various writings. In Totem and Taboo, he applied the idea of the Oedipus complex (involving unresolved sexual feelings of, for example, a son toward his mother and hostility toward his father) and postulated its emergence in the primordial stage of human development.

In Moses and Monotheism, Freud reconstructed biblical history in accordance with his general theory. His ideas were also developed in The Future of an Illusion. When Freud spoke of religion as an illusion, he maintained that it is a fantasy structure from which a man must be set free if he is to grow to maturity.

Freud views the idea of God as being a version of the father image, and religious belief as at bottom infantile and neurotic. Authoritarian religion is dysfunctional and alienates man from himself."

Couldn't agree more. Smile

Thank you, I will take a look at the article as soon as I have the time.
It is a subject that has always interested me.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user