Mermaids are real!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Mermaids are real!
Did anyone catch the show Mermaids: The Body Found? It came on the Science Channel on Monday night from 11pm to 1am. According to Wikipedia, it originally aired a few months ago on Animal Planet. If you guys haven’t seen it, the show basically claims that mermaids are actually a surviving remnant of the joint human-chimp ancestor who took to the sea (an obvious vehicle for the aquatic ape theory) millions of years ago. It uses a mixture of candid interviews and “dramatic re-enactments” to tell the story of how a trio of scientists stumbled upon the species and their struggle against the government, who threatened the creatures’ existence with secret sonar weapons testing. All of it is passed off as a real documentary, complete with supposed skeletal, sonar recording, and visual evidence.

The skeletal evidence was retrieved from the stomach of a great white shark caught off the coast of South Africa. The skull (which was reconstructed) was very human-like, but had large eye sockets and a hole on the forehead for echo communication. The creature had hands with five fingers, its rib cage was collapsible like other marine mammals, and the manatee-like flipper had five bones inside of it. Their sonar equipment recorded the naval sonar weapons test, the cries of the whales, and the highly complex cries of an unknown creature, supposedly that of the mermaid. The visual evidence consisted of two videos, old pictures, and two pieces of art. The two videos were shot in a secret naval holding facility (you catch a glimpse of a webbed hand in a low lit tank) and on the beach where the whales and the mermaids beached themselves in response to the sonar testing. The first was shot by an unknown person, the second by a kid with a camera phone. The old pictures were of early 20th century fisherman standing next to sharks and other fish that had been caught with weapons made from the bones of marine life embedded in them. The art was 16th century scientific sketches of a mermaid skull and prehistoric rock art in the deserts of Egypt depicting early humans hunting mermaids with bows and arrows. All of this evidence is tied to the numerous representations of mermaids from cultures all over the world.

Despite the Science Channel not mentioning anything about the show being a “mockumentary,” I knew it was fake within the first 10 minutes. (I know mermaids are fictional creatures, but, as an open-minded person, I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt.) The scientists came off as actors because they had trained pauses and never stuttered. Most people make mistakes in normal everyday speech. The supposed video evidence looked way too professional despite the effort to pixelate them. Plus there were the scientific sketches and the prehistoric rock art that I had never heard of. The scientists claim the reason that none of the evidence had come to light is because the navy had taken their research and covered everything up in an attempt to hide the fact that their weapons testing had hurt one of humanity’s closest living relatives. Of course there was the obligatory former government man-turned-whistle blower who revealed secrets under the cloak of anonymity--they hid his face and altered his voice for his protection.

I will say that I was rather impressed with the amount of thought that went into the production. They gave a very plausible origin for mermaids, despite the fact that the aquatic ape theory is not widely accepted. They compared the evolution of these creatures to other former land animals that took to the sea like whales and dolphins. The show used a series of 3D animation to represent what the mermaids’ lives were probably like. It started off 7 million years ago when the joint human-chimp ancestor was being pushed closer and closer to the coastline of Africa due to natural disasters like volcanic eruptions. It fast forwards to 6 million years ago when the apes had learned to hold their breaths for long periods of time and had taken to diving and hunting fish in the ocean. It fast forwards again to 3 million years ago when the apes had lost their hair and their legs had begun to change into flippers. It then hops forward millions, then thousands, then hundreds of years into the future, finally settling on present day. The show explains how they had language, rudimentary technology like spears and nets, lived in pods, and had close relationships with whales and dolphins. Concerning the latter point, they did things like traveling, hunting, and playing together.

I would honestly love to know how many people were fooled into thinking the show was real. I won’t be surprised if I hear somebody talking about how mermaids are real and that it is proof of evolution. Ha! Anyway, I highly recommend watching it if you get a chance.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
08-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Mermaids are real!
Have you ever thought about how hard it would be to have sex with a mermaid?

I have. Big Grin

I did see this advertised and meant to watch it, but forgot. I'll have to look for it. I did wonder if they tried to link the legend with the aquatic ape theory. Thanks for sharing!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
RE: Mermaids are real!
(08-08-2012 12:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Have you ever thought about how hard it would be to have sex with a mermaid?

I have. Big Grin

I did see this advertised and meant to watch it, but forgot. I'll have to look for it. I did wonder if they tried to link the legend with the aquatic ape theory. Thanks for sharing!

Me too, Erxomai me too!

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
08-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm sure it will air again sometime on Animal Planet, the Discovery Channel, or the Science Channel.

(08-08-2012 12:24 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I would honestly love to know how many people were fooled into thinking the show was real. I won’t be surprised if I hear somebody talking about how mermaids are real and that it is proof of evolution.

There were apparently so many peopled fooled by the show that the NOS (National Ocean Service) had to release a statement to the contrary:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...nment.html
08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
And this is called "The Science Channel" why?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I hate that the so called learning channels on cable play this type of junk. How many times do we see quacky wtf shows on history and science channels.. seems to me if you are going to promote yourself as a fact based channel you should probly filter what you show.. No or at the very very least label it with what it is.. ugh

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 4 users Like k37713's post
08-08-2012, 05:12 PM
(08-08-2012 12:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Have you ever thought about how hard it would be to have sex with a mermaid?

Oh yes. That's why they're extinct now.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
[+] 3 users Like KVron's post
08-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Sounds like a fun show to watch! I'll have to see if I can dig it up anywhere some time.
18-08-2012, 06:28 PM
(08-08-2012 02:57 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I hate that the so called learning channels on cable play this type of junk. How many times do we see quacky wtf shows on history and science channels.. seems to me if you are going to promote yourself as a fact based channel you should probly filter what you show.. No or at the very very least label it with what it is.. ugh

I agree, and my first thought on the coupling of mythical mermaids with Elaine Morgan's proposed semi-aquatic apes of human evolution was quite honestly, "Give me a break."
However, on the flipside, what the mockumentary format can say to do is have people reconsider how easily one can be blind-sided by well-crafted, fantastical presentations (eg. Peter Jackson's "Forgotten Silver" as a prime example, which fooled a lot of people initially). To remember how easy it is to be lured into believing pseudo-science, pseudo-skepticism (creationism and anti-Darwinism being good examples), confirmation bias, etc. And I do think that that's an important lesson when dealing with scientific matters, and therefore this format does have its raison d'être on eg. a scientific network.

(Says someone who is otherwise enthusiastic about the aquatic ape hypothesis, but finds it highly unlikely that that ever produced something as aquatic as the proposed mermaids.)

"We do not feel the heat of the stars because they are so far from the Earth. [...] The Moon has no light of its own but derives it from the sun. [...] The Moon is made of Earth and has plains and ravines on it."
- Anaxagoras, Athens, Greece, ca. 450 b.c.
18-08-2012, 06:45 PM

I have. Big Grin

dude... the boobies man.... the BOOBS! ( o Y o )

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post