Merry Christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2014, 01:04 AM
Merry Christmas
Today we celebrate the birth of the Hope of the World.

It’s uncommon these days to feel the weight of sin in our lives, but to those of us blessed enough to do so, we realize the vast importance of the gift God has given to us through His Son, Jesus Christ.

He is the Savior of the World; he is our example and our teacher. He lived to give us the way; he taught to give us the truth; he died to give us eternal life.

Happy Birthday, Jesus--and thanks.

[Image: merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2014, 01:43 AM
RE: Merry Christmas
As I have done for many, many years, I'm celebrating Christmas in a purely secular fashion. There are no hymns or carols being sung here, although I did perform a few with a concert band on Christmas Eve. There are no midnight masses or candlelight services to attend, no prayers to any gods, and no grace said at the dinner table.

There are, however, the Queen's Christmas message, the NORAD Santa tracking report, excellent food and wine, and the company of My family. Elsewhere in town, a close friend of Mine is looking forward to watching the Dr. Who Christmas episode.

However and whatever you celebrate, may this day be what you want it to be and a little bit more, not just a shine but a sparkle as well. Best of the season to all.
25-12-2014, 01:51 AM
(25-12-2014 01:04 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Today we celebrate the birth of the Hope of the World.

Indeed we do.

Happy Birthday, Sir Isaac Newton.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
[+] 17 users Like DLJ's post
25-12-2014, 02:02 AM
That sounds really nice, Astreja. Merry Christmas.

Actually, I think you're a little more conservative about it than me. After drinking all night, my wife and I did a tequila shot to Jesus Christ. Frankly, I need to go to bed like, now!

But Jesus means everything to me, and I wish I had lived when he was on earth, but I would have had to suffer a lot as a result of that, so I guess I'm happy to be born late.

Christmas is secular for most people. Jesus was born in March sometime anyway, according to the Gospels (Mary conceived in June according to the Gospel of Luke.). I like to think he was born on the cusp of Pisces and Aries, but who knows. December 25 is the date he was given and all Capricorns can rejoice, I suppose. Smile

Isn't it strange though, that 2000 years later, the whole world still celebrates the birth of a man who by secular accounts was nobody. By the time of his crucifixion, no one was following him anymore. And yet this guy changed the whole world. What did Nero do for us? What did Hitler do for us? What did Alexander the Great do that means anything to us today? Nothing. But we celebrate the birth of a supposed nobody all over the world today.
25-12-2014, 02:04 AM
(25-12-2014 01:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Happy Birthday, Sir Isaac Newton. Thumbsup

And Clara Barton, founder of the Red Cross.

And Cab Calloway, Jimmy Buffett, W. C. Fields, Annie Lennox, Rod Serling, and, well, approximately 0.27% of the current world population.

I think we're going to need a bigger cake...
[+] 12 users Like Astreja's post
25-12-2014, 02:07 AM
(25-12-2014 01:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 01:04 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Today we celebrate the birth of the Hope of the World.

Indeed we do.

Happy Birthday, Sir Isaac Newton.

Thumbsup

Your atheist diatribe is old. Do you know that? It's so hopeless. It's like a beggar on the corner of Bourbon Street banging on a tin can and hoping to get a dollar in his jar.

And let's say you're right...who needs your message?
25-12-2014, 02:57 AM
(25-12-2014 02:07 AM)Gordon Wrote:  ...
Your ... diatribe is old. Do you know that? It's so hopeless. It's like a beggar on the corner of Bourbon Street banging on a tin can and hoping to get a dollar in his jar.

And let's say you're right...who needs your message?

Facepalm

You're lack of self-awareness knows no bounds, does it?

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
25-12-2014, 03:02 AM
If atheism is true, why be self-aware?
25-12-2014, 03:12 AM
(25-12-2014 03:02 AM)Gordon Wrote:  If atheism is true, why be self-aware?

I have no choice. I belong to a species that has evolved self-awareness.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
25-12-2014, 03:14 AM
10 points for persistence. Minus infinity for lack of understanding the group here.