Merry Christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2014, 08:22 AM
RE: Merry Christmas
(25-12-2014 01:04 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Today we celebrate the birth of the Hope of the World.

It’s uncommon these days to feel the weight of sin in our lives, but to those of us blessed enough to do so, we realize the vast importance of the gift God has given to us through His Son, Jesus Christ.

He is the Savior of the World; he is our example and our teacher. He lived to give us the way; he taught to give us the truth; he died to give us eternal life.

Happy Birthday, Jesus--and thanks.

[Image: merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon.gif]

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
25-12-2014, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2014 08:37 AM by Full Circle.)
(25-12-2014 08:11 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Christmas was celebrated, in way, long before Jesus (briefly mentioned in Free Thought's last post).

It was afterer his time that he became a convenient symbol.

Yup.

Saturnalia was an ancient Roman festival in honor of the deity Saturn, held on the 17th of December of the Julian calendar and later expanded with festivities through to the 23rd of December. The holiday was celebrated with a sacrifice at the Temple of Saturn, in the Roman Forum, and a public banquet, followed by private gift-giving, continual partying, and a carnival atmosphere that overturned Roman social norms: gambling was permitted, and masters provided table service for their slaves. The poet Catullus called it “the best of days."

It’s great to see “the best of days” still celebrated.

Edit: December 17 was the first day of the astrological sign Capricorn, the house of Saturn, the planet named for the god. Its proximity to the winter solstice (December 25 on the Julian calendar) was endowed with various meanings by both ancient and modern scholars: for instance, the widespread use of wax candles (cerei, singular cereus) may refer to "the returning power of the sun's light after the solstice".

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-12-2014, 08:33 AM
(25-12-2014 07:53 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  We celebrate President's birthdays, without necessarily agreeing with each of their policies.

Speak for yourself. I don't celebrate the Chancellor's birthdays or the Prime Minister's, if I even knew when they were.
25-12-2014, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2014 09:11 AM by yakherder.)
Working as well. The difference is that now, unlike my active duty military days, I get both holiday and overtime pay for it lol.

One time while going to school in Pensacola, me and a friend faked a conversation in front of a new guy about what we were doing with our overtime pay from overnight watches. When he asked what overtime pay we were talking about, we were like "What you haven't been submitting your requests? After you stand a watch after normal work hours or on holidays, you're supposed to make a copy of your watch schedule and submit it with a request chit to the captain for your overtime pay."

A few days later we got called in to see the captain. Those were good times.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
25-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Ahhhh, I remember back when I worked at the jail. Christmas Day paid double time and a half. Plus, if you were lucky enough to be on overtime, it was triple time and a half. (And I was always on OT because so many people took holidays around Xmas) THAT was making money!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
25-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Working here, as well.

Apparently,*someone* thought it was a good idea to have a deadline on 12/26. Never mind that everyone on the receiving end of this project is out of the office and will be until at least 12/29. Rolleyes

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
25-12-2014, 12:50 PM
(25-12-2014 02:07 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 01:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Indeed we do.

Happy Birthday, Sir Isaac Newton.

Thumbsup

Your atheist diatribe is old. Do you know that? It's so hopeless. It's like a beggar on the corner of Bourbon Street banging on a tin can and hoping to get a dollar in his jar.

And let's say you're right...who needs your message?

The unintentional irony of that is sublime. You are truly not right in the head. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
25-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Gruss vom Krampus Evil_monster
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
25-12-2014, 04:48 PM
(25-12-2014 12:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 02:07 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Your atheist diatribe is old. Do you know that? It's so hopeless. It's like a beggar on the corner of Bourbon Street banging on a tin can and hoping to get a dollar in his jar.

And let's say you're right...who needs your message?

The unintentional irony of that is sublime. You are truly not right in the head. Drinking Beverage

And he's not left either...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-12-2014, 06:02 PM
(25-12-2014 01:04 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Today we celebrate the birth of the Hope of the World.

In the mean time, look at the mess we're in right now, much of it motivated and inspired by religious beliefs. It pretty much guarantees a glum outlook for humanity. I am reminded of something along the line ~ '21st century technology in the hands of stone age thinking'. Laugh out load

But more importantly, what is Jesus doing in the mean time? Is he all pissed off at the world and is like "FUCK 'em all!! Let 'em suffer for centuries, goddammit!!!""?