Merry ______________ (fill in blank)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Merry ______________ (fill in blank)
When's the last time you heard somebody say "Have a merry day"???

Never, probably??

So why is Christmas the self appointed keeper of "Merry"?

Happy Easter, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Ground friggin hog Day - but only "Merry Christmas"? What's wrong with "Happy Christmas"? It's a Christian holiday - as is Easter -- but when is the last time you had a "Merry Easter" thrown in your direction? If you DID wish somebody a "Merry Easter" - they'd probably look at you oddly.

Exactly what is "Merry"??? - as in "Eat, Drink and be Merry"? As far as I can figure, it has to do with sucking down some serious adult beverages. So why isn't it "Merry St. Paddy's Day"?? - because that's what they mean - "get falling down drunk, and puking on somebody's shoes". I missed out as a kid. Dad never got that "merry" at Christmas or, any other time for that matter. I must have lead a sheltered life.

And, what about Robin Hood - and his "Merry Men"??? Does this mean they only worked on Christmas? Only working one day a year would explain the "Steal from the rich" part but, if they're working on Christmas - when do they give away the goodies??? It probably explains why Friar Tuck was always drinking.

Then there’s “merry” and “marry”. Obviously not synonymous. It’s probably some linguist’s idea of ironic homonyms.
Sometimes, it really is easier being an atheist, and not having any kids....

I don't have to try to explain the "Merry" bit to the kids.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
25-01-2015, 10:45 AM
RE: Merry ______________ (fill in blank)
(25-01-2015 09:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What's wrong with "Happy Christmas"?

I hear that sometimes but it's more of a British thing in my experience.

Quote:Then there’s “merry” and “marry”. Obviously not synonymous. It’s probably some linguist’s idea of ironic homonyms.

Except that "merry" and "marry" aren't homonyms, at least not with my accent (and neither sounds like the name "Mary").
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
25-01-2015, 12:34 PM
(25-01-2015 10:45 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 09:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What's wrong with "Happy Christmas"?

I hear that sometimes but it's more of a British thing in my experience.

Quote:Then there’s “merry” and “marry”. Obviously not synonymous. It’s probably some linguist’s idea of ironic homonyms.

Except that "merry" and "marry" aren't homonyms, at least not with my accent (and neither sounds like the name "Mary").
Drinking Beverage

Unless you're from the south. Then they all sound the same.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
25-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Merry, marry, Mary they all sound the same to me. I'm not really sure what difference it makes if people say "merry Christmas" or "happy Christmas".

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
25-01-2015, 02:48 PM
I don't know how this fits into the equation exactly, but I once had an Indian woman in a Hardees drive-through say to me "Happy morning, would you like any jelly ketchup?". I will never forget that.

"Merry" isn't a word used very much. It's used enough that all English speaking people should know it's meaning, but it's fell out of everyday use. It's far from archaic, but it's not a word used that often either. It's just "stuck" with Christmas. Other examples of this exist in the English language as well. Some words, which have become, or are becoming, archaic find a niche, and ensure their survival. Many words survive due to religion texts, stories, poems, etc, that would have otherwise gone the way of the dinosaur. Words like "goest", "thou", "trod", "thither" and so on exist because of old literature, songs, etc. There are other examples that are much more 'extreme' in that some words are almost only used in one context, paired with a specific word, or in a specific phrase. e.g. "Driving me *bonkers*, "Brightly *shone* the moon, that night...", etc

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
25-01-2015, 03:37 PM
(25-01-2015 02:48 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't know how this fits into the equation exactly, but I once had an Indian woman in a Hardees drive-through say to me "Happy morning, would you like any jelly ketchup?". I will never forget that.

Laugh out load that is great

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
25-01-2015, 06:23 PM
The Merry Maids did a wonderful job cleaning my house!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-01-2015, 06:25 PM
(25-01-2015 10:45 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 09:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Then there’s “merry” and “marry”. Obviously not synonymous. It’s probably some linguist’s idea of ironic homonyms.

Drinking Beverage

At best they're homophones. In order to be homonyms the pronunciation *and* spelling (homographs) must be the same, like in arms.

Drinking Beverage

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
25-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Fill in the blank?? Um......ok.

Merry swimming.

Merry dinner.

Merry sex.

Merry more sex.

There, I filled in the blanks.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
26-01-2015, 07:12 AM
(25-01-2015 09:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Fill in the blank?? Um......ok.

Merry swimming.

Merry dinner.

Merry sex.

Merry more sex.

There, I filled in the blanks.

Job well done.

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.