• 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Message From A Former Muslim
Greetings,

I am a former Muslim.

More specifically, I grew up pretending to be a Muslim in a
hardline-Muslim country where the penalty for Apostasy is death by
decapitation. Walking, talking, and appearing to agree with things I have
always questioned and doubted comprised the majority of my youth.

I feel burdened with a personal obligation towards my future
generation to inform them about the dangers of their religion. I also happen to
be in a unique position, since I know exactly how my brethren think, and how
their arguments supporting Islam have their foundations in nothing more than
wavering emotion and whim.

I can personally attest to the fact that only ideologies
like Islam can force good people to do heinous things.

I threw the following video together over the past few hours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjZm94ojlyM&feature=plcp

As you can see, I have not taken the outright inflammatory
route from the onset. Doing so may cause the target viewer to immediately raise
their defenses, and maybe skip viewing the rest of the video altogether.

An honest, brutal critique would be helpful.

Also, if it is not in any violation of your time, I would
greatly appreciate it if you would share the message and spread it around.

Thank you all.

- A
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like apostasin's post
20-07-2012, 05:37 AM
RE: Message From A Former Muslim
(20-07-2012 04:50 AM)apostasin Wrote:  Greetings,

I am a former Muslim.

More specifically, I grew up pretending to be a Muslim in a
hardline-Muslim country where the penalty for Apostasy is death by
decapitation. Walking, talking, and appearing to agree with things I have
always questioned and doubted comprised the majority of my youth.

I feel burdened with a personal obligation towards my future
generation to inform them about the dangers of their religion. I also happen to
be in a unique position, since I know exactly how my brethren think, and how
their arguments supporting Islam have their foundations in nothing more than
wavering emotion and whim.

I can personally attest to the fact that only ideologies
like Islam can force good people to do heinous things.

I threw the following video together over the past few hours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjZm94ojlyM&feature=plcp

As you can see, I have not taken the outright inflammatory
route from the onset. Doing so may cause the target viewer to immediately raise
their defenses, and maybe skip viewing the rest of the video altogether.

An honest, brutal critique would be helpful.

Also, if it is not in any violation of your time, I would
greatly appreciate it if you would share the message and spread it around.

Thank you all.

- A
Hi....what a professional job you have done with your video. There were moments when you really touched my heart and my brain. I hear how you want to not put your fellow muslims off. BUT.....I, and maybe them, also need to hear why muslim beliefs are so wrong. Please keep doing what you do and be brave. You are the real thing. You have a fan here, Mark
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi and welcome to TTA
Have an insightful stay

I like the message you bring in your video and I can relate to that.

The dramatic tone is something I'd avoid, but perhaps you have the feeling that this is the way to get the most attention out of your prospected audience. It made it hard to digest for me -Undercooled human of the north- though.
The images are well chosen.

Anyway, that's my critique

In the meantime I wish you peace in your life and hearth and the courage to continue.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
20-07-2012, 06:09 AM
If I hadn't read your introduction I don't think I would have had an idea of your point about Islam. You also affirm the idea of god in the video. At the end, the idea of "the other side" was confusing to me.
20-07-2012, 07:00 AM
(20-07-2012 06:09 AM)Jeff Wrote:  If I hadn't read your introduction I don't think I would have had an idea of your point about Islam. You also affirm the idea of god in the video. At the end, the idea of "the other side" was confusing to me.
Jeff,

Thank you so much for your critique.

There are areas in the video where I am purposefully esoteric about any concept of god. I don't deny a deity's existence, nor do I outright assert it.

While I am personally strident in my certainty that there is no god, the reason for my apparent vagueness is that I'm attempting a more methodical approach to dismantling the Islamic doctrine out of someone's mind.

I certainly could have taken the good-old, no-punches-held-back approach of Hitchens and just go all out, but there are two reasons I haven't: 1) I am no where near Hitchen's formidable intellectual fortitude, and 2) The approach doesn't work quite well when aimed at Islam in particular. You have to understand that there are people in my aimed demographic who will readily burn flags and mannequins over a cartoon, as opposed to more pressing matters such as a woman's basic right to drive a car (not worth burning anything over either, but you get the gist).

I really do subscribe to Prof. Dennet's idea that Islam is indeed a highly evolved, biological entity that has developed a labyrinthian immune system, and it should be treated as such. I believe that if words and expressions of thought towards Muslims were chosen more discerningly, then I would have a better chance at getting through their defenses unnoticed.

For me, it's enough to introduce the seemingly distant notion that it just *might* be ok to at least doubt your own beliefs, let alone abandoning them.

If the video would at least get that across, then I will have accomplished something.
[+] 1 user Likes apostasin's post
20-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I just watched the video and subscribed.
positive:
I like the intense voice. As far as I was able to get to know the culture (first hand and not through videos - just saying) this is exactly the tone they will listen to.
negative:
I had my headphones on and at times it was so loud or not exactly sure what, but I feld like ripping my headphones off.
When you were talking about love, your voice got aggressive. I would have expected it to stay intense but become a bit more soft at that point.

Opinion in general:
There are not a lot of ex-muslims that I know of. The only other one, I lost touch with when he went back home to visit... See him online from time to time on skype but I guess, if he is at home, he might be afraid to write to me because maybe I write something anti-islam and someone could see it... that is my guess...

It is so sad, that there are rarely people like you out there, who take the risk and speak out.
Are you currently in the country (where you are in danger) or have you moved away to do this without risking anything (apart from being able to ever go back home, obviously)

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
20-07-2012, 02:31 PM
(20-07-2012 10:46 AM)Leela Wrote:  I just watched the video and subscribed.
positive:
I like the intense voice. As far as I was able to get to know the culture (first hand and not through videos - just saying) this is exactly the tone they will listen to.
negative:
I had my headphones on and at times it was so loud or not exactly sure what, but I feld like ripping my headphones off.
When you were talking about love, your voice got aggressive. I would have expected it to stay intense but become a bit more soft at that point.

Opinion in general:
There are not a lot of ex-muslims that I know of. The only other one, I lost touch with when he went back home to visit... See him online from time to time on skype but I guess, if he is at home, he might be afraid to write to me because maybe I write something anti-islam and someone could see it... that is my guess...

It is so sad, that there are rarely people like you out there, who take the risk and speak out.
Are you currently in the country (where you are in danger) or have you moved away to do this without risking anything (apart from being able to ever go back home, obviously)
Leela,

Thank you so much for your time and your kind words.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the quality of the recording. My current recording equipment is comprised of a cellphone and free audio-editing software. I will take your concerns into consideration and find a way to make the audio more presentable and easier to listen to.

I am in fact not in my country of origin. This puts me in a far safer position to come out and speak out against my former beliefs. However, the main reason for my current anonymity is to make sure that my very small family would not be placed anywhere near harms way. Where I come from, guilt and persecution merely by association is very common-place.

Additionally, none of family or close friends know of my sharply atheistic tendencies, or my willingness to take a militant stand against everything they ever stood for.

Now that I thought about it, coming out as a vocal, outspoken apostate of hardline Islam in my current geographical location would actually be a one way ticket to infamy. I'd probably garner a LOT more attention, and possibly some media coverage here and there. Alas, I have to keep my loved ones in mind, and make sure that they are never in danger as a result of my efforts. The frustration that stems from this alone is a prime motivating factor for what I'm doing, as I can't bare the idea of anyone having to think of my own safety as a result of exposing the truth.
[+] 2 users Like apostasin's post
20-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Welcome Apostasin. You're awesome. Wish you every success. I haven't yet watched your video but your posts here are spot on. Who knows, hopefully many in your home country feel the same way. The world is becoming more connected.
20-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Loved it. In fact, I would love to talk and discuss with you on the Islamic faith. I am always interested in Islam, seeing as it is the only one I have yet to be fully aquainted with. Do you have a form of communication I can reach you at, Skype?Email?

Well, if there is, please send it to me. If there is not, please frequent this board.

Now Onto the video:

There were some very atheistic ideas in the video, and I was surprised at how the religious can take it one way, and the atheistic can take it another.

"The Other-side.":

To me, it seemed as if you were saying, I hope I can see you shake off the chains that bind you, and become truly free, in the knowledge and power you posses.

But the religious could see it as if you were saying this, while mantaining you were right with Allah. It would seem to them that you had not given up the faith, and were striving to make it what it should be, a more humanistic orentiated religion. The last part was subtly hinted during the whole process.

"This Life" when you were talking about the semblance of immortality, from a parent to a child, it lit up like a christmas tree what you were talking about from a religious view, and an atheistic one.

Religious: "This" hinted that there was another life, and that you should teach the children to prepare for this lesson, as it is certainly a true one.

Atheistic: The " Only" was the big one, it hinted that there was no immortality, and that the closest you can get is your family line. "this" didn't hint at another life because there was no reason to suggest

This doesn't mean there are any others.

This video was emotional, and very very nicely done. For a cell phone, and an audio program, I'll give it five stars.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
20-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't understand why this video deteriorates from a good video about skepticism of Islam to a bad video about psychology.

Quote:If you hate [someone], hate them until it hurts, until the pain of hate becomes so great that you realize how wasteful it is to hate anyone or anything, and that only unconditional love will nourish your spirits and give you clearer reasons to embrace the beauty and fragility of life
This has been proven time and again not to work. Venting is the very worst thing you can do to try to relieve anger (or hate), because it just breeds more of it.

Quote:If you love someone, TELL them, and tell them now....don't wait for the right moment because this is the only moment you have, and you will not get it back
This is a great suggestion, assuming that the object of your love loves you back... otherwise it can carry negative consequences. Expressing a romantic love towards a friend can distance them, and even expressing a "brotherly" love between guys can make them think less of you (assuming, again, that it is not mutual).

Quote:But for those of you who are brave enough to open their minds and see life beyond the blinders ...
This makes a fundamental attribution error in assuming that those who have not followed your footsteps have not done so because they are "scared". There are plenty of other reasons why people believe dumb things, not the least of which is self-justification, bias, and ego.

In short, despite the fact that your video attempts to make a case against Islam -- one that I fully support -- it doesn't do it very rationally. You're making an appeal based on the types of wisdom that we expect from cliched Chinese wise men.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post