Message conversation with a cute christian girl

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2012, 02:43 PM
RE: Message conversation with a cute christian girl
(07-09-2012 06:02 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 03:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ask her to send naked pictures to cheer up the children in the hospital.

*coughs* I think I'm getting sick.

I thought you dig that stuff.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
(11-09-2012 02:41 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If atheism was simply non-belief or a lacking of belief, then I think you could say that children are atheists under this definition before indoctrination into a religion.
But I contend that to truly be an atheist, you must know about the theism in which you lack the belief in. ( I could be wrong)
Therefore I think disbelief works well within the context of what I wanted to convey, as in I disbelieve, I don't accept the claims that a god or gods exist without evidence.

Non-belief by itself just says that you are lacking something, as if you are missing something that others have.
I guess I just don't see atheism that way. I see it more as a rejection of a claim versus lacking what someone else has.

I shouldn't quibble.
Why not? I was.Smartass

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
(11-09-2012 02:03 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I'm being slightly dishonest in saying that every child begins their life as an atheist because I think you really need to have an understanding of something before you can disbelieve it.

Nothing dishonest about that; it's entirely true. Which is what I think Chas is saying too.

Everyone IS born an atheist. By definition, "atheist" means "not a theist" which is true for every newborn. We all have to learn theism to become a theist (although "learn" is subject to interpretation too, as I have found by debating Christians who know less about their mythology than I do - if nothing else, we have to "learn" the rituals and lip service in order to pass for being a theist).

(while I was typing, I see more stuff got added that seems to clarify the point I was trying to clarify here, making my post redundant).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
11-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Why do you think she's cute?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
11-09-2012, 03:12 PM
(11-09-2012 02:41 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  But I contend that to truly be an atheist, you must know about the theism in which you lack the belief in. ( I could be wrong)

Contend all you want, but that's not being an atheist, truly or otherwise. You are ascribing more to the definition of atheism than is actually there.

I contend that I'm atheistic toward Christianity, about which I know a lot, but also atheistic toward Scientology, Jainism, Qetzalcoatilism (what did the Aztecs call their religion, anyway?), and many other religions, about which I know nothing (apparently not even the correct names of many of them). I don't need to know the tenets of The Church of Qetzalcoatl to claim know belief in whatever those tenets are - I can simply state that I remain so far unconvinced that a great feathered serpent in the sky created me or the earth or anything else and will remain unconvinced until someone convincingly demonstrates that such a great feathered serpent in the sky really did create some or all of that. This makes me an atheist toward Qeztalcoatle without knowing anything at all about Him/It.

Likewise with all other religions. Knowing what they preach is a good way to be more clear in your own mind, and a good way to debate the silliness of their mythology, but it's completely unrelated to not believing in it.

Interestingly enough, the opposite is not true - you really do need to know something about it before you can claim to be a believer, therefore while lack of knowledge regarding any specific belief does not preclude atheism, it does preclude theism (although I have mentioned that it takes surprisingly little knowledge to muster for roll call in some religions).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
11-09-2012, 03:16 PM
(11-09-2012 03:12 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 02:41 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  But I contend that to truly be an atheist, you must know about the theism in which you lack the belief in. ( I could be wrong)

Contend all you want, but that's not being an atheist, truly or otherwise. You are ascribing more to the definition of atheism than is actually there.

I think maybe Rahn's point is "atheism [the term] would not exist or be necessary in the absence of theism." If that's true, then you are both right. Stop arguing. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
11-09-2012, 08:59 PM
I see Aseptic's point of view and I would agree with that. I'm atheistic to all other beliefs in gods even if I know nothing about their religion.

As for why i think she's cute ?
Because she is Big Grin

Mentally horrific - like a train wreck, but still cute

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
11-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I wish I had an atheist guy chasing me :< I never get the guys.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
11-09-2012, 10:47 PM
(11-09-2012 09:28 PM)NeonMoment Wrote:  I wish I had an atheist guy chasing me :< I never get the guys.

Whelp, now Erx is going to hit on you.
12-09-2012, 05:14 AM
(11-09-2012 10:47 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 09:28 PM)NeonMoment Wrote:  I wish I had an atheist guy chasing me :< I never get the guys.

Whelp, now Erx is going to hit on you.

Unlikely.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]