Message from an ex buddhist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2016, 06:11 AM
RE: Message from an ex buddhist
I never said atheism was a faith, and by parallels I mean people who have given up, Christianity for example, do not see the exact parallels between Buddhism and whichever faith they gave up...

Not parallels of Buddhists and Atheists.

My bad I probably wasn't clear with my words.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2016, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2016 06:31 AM by Brian37.)
(17-03-2016 06:11 AM)Maxwelldunn89 Wrote:  I never said atheism was a faith, and by parallels I mean people who have given up, Christianity for example, do not see the exact parallels between Buddhism and whichever faith they gave up...

Not parallels of Buddhists and Atheists.

My bad I probably wasn't clear with my words.

Meh, saaaalright saaalright (it's alright)

But FOR THE LOVE OF THOR, MARDUKE BUDDHA AND FSM

I really hate "my bad"......(admittedly I cant stop people from using that)

The first time I heard "my bad" was back in the late 80s from a co-worker and all I could think was "How hard it is to say "I'm sorry, or my mistake, or I apologize"

Every time I hear "my bad" I want to ask them "Do you have a receipt for this bad? Did you purchase this bad at Walmart?"

Everyone has their bugaboos, even me. Pointless rant on my part yes.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-03-2016, 06:36 AM
It's cool bro... Wink ha
17-03-2016, 10:31 AM
To answer people who obviously can't comprehend what the term atheist means, I've always like Penn Jillette's quote...

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Wink

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
17-03-2016, 10:35 AM
(15-03-2016 08:27 PM)Maxwelldunn89 Wrote:  I made this post somewhere else and want to share it here too.

I am trying to give up my faith in Buddhism. I have been firmly buddhist about 8 years. Someone was saying that Buddhists ARE atheist. So that atheism does not negate buddhism. I think this is a common belief amongst some Atheists so I thought I'd make a post about this.

I told him that while Buddhists don't place their faith in God, that faith is still required, particularly in Buddha as teacher, dharma as teaching, Sangha as community, and guru as embodiment of all three for Tibetan Buddhists which I was one. Some Buddhists consider the belief of karma to be the equivalent to the belief of god, albeit not an entity. There are gods, demigods, ghosts, demons, deities (which are not gods, but beings who are perfectly enlightened Buddha's who are omniscent). There is reincarnation, which is not limited to as a human, but in any realm of existence including the many heavens and hells, of which you become destined by karmic law. There are prescribed morals, which have been handed down from the Buddha to avoid bad karma.

There are saints, who have attained power of the external world through gaining power over their mind. Including, but not limited to things such as levitation, telepathy, multiplying your body into many bodies, making it appear larger, smaller, or disappear, walking through walls, moving through the earth, reaching out and touching the sun or moon, power over time.
And to have doubts about this teaching is seen as Delusion and ignorance to be dispelled with faith. And you wonder why I want to change... I'm sure I am missing alot but it is not just a philosophy for meditation.

I also told him to look up about the charvakas from india, who were much more like Atheists and disagreed with many Buddhist beliefs, and existed at the time of the Buddha even.

I think Atheists should give up that Buddhism is compatible with atheism. While I'm not saying that people shouldn't meditate, but I don't think it needs to depend on a philosophy either. I also think Atheists should be considerate of buddhists who want to give up their faith, and realize the two are not the same. Welcome them with open arms as Atheists, and dont convince them that the only way to be atheist is to "not believe in God". People may need to consider themselves atheist for different reasons than that, and so please, try to be welcoming.

Thanks

Long story short for the comments: I was told not all Atheists are skeptics. My response is that: I just feel like atheism without skepticism, legitimizes the argument that "atheism requires just as much faith". If you didn't believe in God, but don't question faith, what's the point?

URL for original post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comment...xbuddhist/
Tibet Buddhism is the most superstitious form of Buddhism. Still Buddhism is a religion with several concepts that relies on faith. Some people are secular Buddhists and it seems to work for them.
17-03-2016, 10:41 AM
(17-03-2016 10:35 AM)Leo Wrote:  
(15-03-2016 08:27 PM)Maxwelldunn89 Wrote:  I made this post somewhere else and want to share it here too.

I am trying to give up my faith in Buddhism. I have been firmly buddhist about 8 years. Someone was saying that Buddhists ARE atheist. So that atheism does not negate buddhism. I think this is a common belief amongst some Atheists so I thought I'd make a post about this.

I told him that while Buddhists don't place their faith in God, that faith is still required, particularly in Buddha as teacher, dharma as teaching, Sangha as community, and guru as embodiment of all three for Tibetan Buddhists which I was one. Some Buddhists consider the belief of karma to be the equivalent to the belief of god, albeit not an entity. There are gods, demigods, ghosts, demons, deities (which are not gods, but beings who are perfectly enlightened Buddha's who are omniscent). There is reincarnation, which is not limited to as a human, but in any realm of existence including the many heavens and hells, of which you become destined by karmic law. There are prescribed morals, which have been handed down from the Buddha to avoid bad karma.

There are saints, who have attained power of the external world through gaining power over their mind. Including, but not limited to things such as levitation, telepathy, multiplying your body into many bodies, making it appear larger, smaller, or disappear, walking through walls, moving through the earth, reaching out and touching the sun or moon, power over time.
And to have doubts about this teaching is seen as Delusion and ignorance to be dispelled with faith. And you wonder why I want to change... I'm sure I am missing alot but it is not just a philosophy for meditation.

I also told him to look up about the charvakas from india, who were much more like Atheists and disagreed with many Buddhist beliefs, and existed at the time of the Buddha even.

I think Atheists should give up that Buddhism is compatible with atheism. While I'm not saying that people shouldn't meditate, but I don't think it needs to depend on a philosophy either. I also think Atheists should be considerate of buddhists who want to give up their faith, and realize the two are not the same. Welcome them with open arms as Atheists, and dont convince them that the only way to be atheist is to "not believe in God". People may need to consider themselves atheist for different reasons than that, and so please, try to be welcoming.

Thanks

Long story short for the comments: I was told not all Atheists are skeptics. My response is that: I just feel like atheism without skepticism, legitimizes the argument that "atheism requires just as much faith". If you didn't believe in God, but don't question faith, what's the point?

URL for original post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comment...xbuddhist/
Tibet Buddhism is the most superstitious form of Buddhism. Still Buddhism is religion with several concepts that relies on faith. Some people are secular Buddhists and it seems to work for them.

I think more humans need to get used to the idea of any individual having a secular view of any religious label, being they like the ritual and tradition, but don't take the gods/superstitions seriously.

I hate the "works for them" yea true. But it is still nothing they should allow others under the same Umbrella label to hide behind to justify cruelty or bigotry.

"Works for them" and so what, does not mean it works for everybody. Humans still need to do a better job knowing the difference between human rights, and the separate ability to demonstrate what you claim is credible. Humans have rights but claims as ideas do not deserve to be scrutiny free.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
17-03-2016, 10:46 AM
(17-03-2016 10:41 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 10:35 AM)Leo Wrote:  Tibet Buddhism is the most superstitious form of Buddhism. Still Buddhism is religion with several concepts that relies on faith. Some people are secular Buddhists and it seems to work for them.

I think more humans need to get used to the idea of any individual having a secular view of any religious label, being they like the ritual and tradition, but don't take the gods/superstitions seriously.

I hate the "works for them" yea true. But it is still nothing they should allow others under the same Umbrella label to hide behind to justify cruelty or bigotry.

"Works for them" and so what, does not mean it works for everybody. Humans still need to do a better job knowing the difference between human rights, and the separate ability to demonstrate what you claim is credible. Humans have rights but claims as ideas do not deserve to be scrutiny free.

I mean works for them because they stripped Buddhism of all classic concepts like karma , rebirth , heaven , hells ,
Gods etc. To me this doesn't make any sense. I reject all Buddhism "supernatural" theological claims( in the nikayas and agamas sutras) and that's why I can't be a Buddhist. In my opinion secular Buddhism is bullshit but if it works for them , good for them. Honestly I don't give a fuck.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
17-03-2016, 10:52 AM
(17-03-2016 04:52 AM)Maxwelldunn89 Wrote:  It is also mysterious, and ultimately unknowable by us mere humans.

No sorry, that is a cop out. And that is what ALL religions pull. They hit something they don't understand and instead of trying to figure out what is really going on they say "god did it" or "Its too mysterious" to figure out.

If our species always stopped at a gap, we would not be where we are now.

Stephen Hawking, "A God not required", so why would Buddhism be either?

Do some research on the origins of that religion, you will find out it really is rooted in mythology and a mere spin off of Hinduism.

We DO KNOW that there was no written religion 200,000 years ago in the early days of our species. There was also no religion 4 billion years ago when the planet started forming, much less 14 billion years ago at the big bang.

We also know that there are billions of suns in our galaxy, and that it takes one ray of light 100,000 years at the speed of light to cross our galaxy. And there are 100s of billions of galaxies in our observable universe.

To think our species, or any religion is special to all this, especially after 5 mass extinctions to which only 1% of all life that has lived is still here and that 99% that has lived is now extinct, to think religion is important is to me arrogant. NOW that isn't that you can force any out of existence. But that we should not as a species be so fearful of change to think it is wrong to give up on old claims.

If our species never questioned social norms, our species never would have left the caves.

[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
17-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Message from an ex buddhist
The reason I can't believe in karma is the same reason I don't believe in Heaven: it requires something to judge the actions and place you into your next life's place.