Message in the sand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Message in the sand
Quote:If you're walking along the sandy seashore devoid of all people and you come across this message carved into the sand that reads: "John loves Mary", would you doubt at all that that that message was not the product of "natural" processes?

Ergo, God!Facepalm

I'm certain that someone, somewhere has debunked this. Does anyone know of a link?

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2015, 08:41 PM
RE: Message in the sand
I would want to know when this scenario actually happened outside of someone's imagination.
19-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Quote:If you're walking along the sandy seashore devoid of all people and you come across this message carved into the sand that reads: "John loves Mary", would you doubt at all that that that message was not the product of "natural" processes?

If I'm walking along a sandy seashore it's kinda by definition not devoid of all people.

Who comes up with this bollocks?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
19-02-2015, 09:17 PM
(19-02-2015 08:26 PM)f stop Wrote:  

Ergo, God!Facepalm

I'm certain that someone, somewhere has debunked this. Does anyone know of a link?

So where did god write in the sand?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
19-02-2015, 09:33 PM
If I had reason to believe that John didn't exist, then I'd be inclined to believe Mary wrote it in an attempt to deceive me.

'Murican Canadian
19-02-2015, 10:00 PM
How many sandy shores did you walk along and how long did you have to walk before discovering that pattern? Also, were the sand patterns capable of spawning new sand patterns via mitosis?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
19-02-2015, 10:11 PM
(19-02-2015 08:26 PM)f stop Wrote:  

Ergo, God!Facepalm

What if a guy named John did it as a romantic gesture for his wife named Mary?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-02-2015, 10:14 PM
(19-02-2015 08:56 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
Who comes up with this bollocks?
I don't know who came up with it but I've heard it before. Quite a few times. I really don't want to take the time to address it but I don't want to let it stand either. It's an argument from design, a variation of the junk yard 747 which Dawkins debunks in The God Delusion. I'm surprised I can't find it debunked anywhere.

Sapere aude
19-02-2015, 10:54 PM
We talking, like, it actually being written there, or the ridiculous "If you're told beforehand what it supposedly says, lower your standards a lot, and squint both eyes, it kind of sort of says this" thing like with all the appearances of Jesus on toast?

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
20-02-2015, 12:31 AM
I think it's a variation of the Watchmaker argument, which Dawkins handles quite well in his book, The Blind Watchmaker.

Here is a link to the Watchmaker analogy, from which I think you can extrapolate a refutation of the name in the sand crap.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user