Messiah, son of David

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Messiah, son of David
Please help me understand, Aliza, or anybody else who wants to weigh in. Why is the Messiah being from the seed of David such a great thing? I know that David was chosen by God to be king of Israel. (But, of course, we all know the great decisions God made in the OT. Laugh out load )

But, why is he held in such high esteem? From what I remember reading the OT, David did a lot of crazy shit that, had anyone else done them would have pissed the hell out of God. In fact, did he not commit adultery which was a capital offense in the OT?

Or is it just a fact: the Messiah will be a descendant of David, period. No need to question it?

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2016, 03:37 PM
RE: Messiah, son of David
The reason why it is so important for the messiah to be from the line of David is because of the Davidic covenant. Essentially God comes to David and promises that Davids royal dynasty will never end. That is why the Christian Bible goes to great lengths to show Jesus is from the line of David. Christians take the idea of an eternal dynasty and say that when God made that promise he meant a spiritual Dynasty. (Not to be confused with a spiritual duck dynasty) Why did God choose David? The Bible says that he was a man after God's own heart. How that is determined is beyond me. It's like asking why Poseidon picks on odysseus and not other people in the Homers poems.

Does that help?
[+] 3 users Like DavidCG's post
28-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Trust me I know all about David.
[+] 1 user Likes DavidCG's post
28-02-2016, 03:40 PM
(28-02-2016 03:37 PM)DavidCG Wrote:  The reason why it is so important for the messiah to be from the line of David is because of the Davidic covenant. Essentially God comes to David and promises that Davids royal dynasty will never end. That is why the Christian Bible goes to great lengths to show Jesus is from the line of David. Christians take the idea of an eternal dynasty and say that when God made that promise he meant a spiritual Dynasty. (Not to be confused with a spiritual duck dynasty) Why did God choose David? The Bible says that he was a man after God's own heart. How that is determined is beyond me. It's like asking why Poseidon picks on odysseus and not other people in the Homers poems.

Does that help?

I've encountered the "line of David"/"man after God's own heart" argument from Christian friends and family, before... I like to use the fact that he had two wives even while he was running from King Saul, long before he became king, against the Christians who say that God wants "one man and one woman" in a marriage. If he was a man after God's own heart, and married two women (and many others after he gained the kingship), it seems to follow logically that God has no opinion on monogamy.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-02-2016, 03:46 PM
Not to mention some of the other things he does. Kill a man to cover up an affair. Et cetra
28-02-2016, 04:02 PM
(28-02-2016 03:46 PM)DavidCG Wrote:  Not to mention some of the other things he does. Kill a man to cover up an affair. Et cetra

That one wouldn't hold weight with Christians because YHWH punished David for that affair/murder by killing his kid in return. Classy guy.

On the other hand, the two wives seem god-approved. Thumbsup

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
28-02-2016, 04:09 PM
(28-02-2016 04:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 03:46 PM)DavidCG Wrote:  Not to mention some of the other things he does. Kill a man to cover up an affair. Et cetra

That one wouldn't hold weight with Christians because YHWH punished David for that affair/murder by killing his kid in return. Classy guy.

On the other hand, the two wives seem god-approved. Thumbsup

I'm pretty sure the story of Absolom raping his sister, and kicking David, his father, off the throne is part of that punishment too. But don't quote me on that.
29-02-2016, 10:21 AM
I think DavidCG’s explanation mirrors my own fairly closely.

It’s not that the House of David is so super awesome and special, it’s just that according to the bible –the one that Christians base their faith on- the House of David was promised by G-d to be the royal line forever. This is a fact. The Hebrew Bible does state this rather clearly in several places.

The NT writers understood that if they were going to effectively sell Jesus to the Jews (and that was the original intent), then they’d have to market him as a member of the House of David. Of course, their ignorance shines through in providing two conflicting genealogies, both of which are invalid lines.

The thing about David’s story is not so much that it disqualifies Jesus as being a messianic candidate, but that messages gleaned from his life completely contradicts the message that Christianity is trying to sell. By virtue of the fact that NT writers spent so much time and energy explaining how they believed Jesus was Davidic, and how their concept of Messiah fulfills OT prophecy, we can see that they viewed themselves as being subject to Jewish law.

…And Jewish law discredits all of their arguments.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
29-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Um... Alize but you guys must have noticed by now that a king descended from David is not currently ruling you? Right? Doesn't that kinda pour a bit of cold water on the whole 'eternal royal line' promise?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Wasn't it because of all the shit in the babble that Mary and Joseph had to go to Bethlehem (City of David) so that their sprog yahoo could be supposedly born there? Didn't the babble make up some kind of crazy shit about there being a census the year that yahoo was supposedly born? Must be the first bleedin' census in history that required people to go to be counted at the place of their father's birth. What kind of crazy bat crap is that? Oh, I nearly forgot to mention, there wasn't a census the year that yahoo was supposedly born.

Oh what a tangled web christards weave when they first practice to deceive.

Oh, nearly forgot to mention - the virgin birth? Nope. The earliest document referring to such states that Mary was Alma. Alma means young girl - not virgin. The virgin bollocks came about when the babble was translated from Greek to Latin. In Greek, the word for young girl and virgin are one and the same but the context determines the exact usage. Can't make up my mind whether it was a scholarly error or lying fuckin' christards at it again. Fucking twats.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post