Metaphors for Depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2014, 10:16 PM
RE: Metaphors for Depression
(03-10-2014 10:05 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  100 daily milligrams of Paxil and a wonderful amazing man who talks me to sleep every night and stays with me all night in case I have a nightmare...depression is just someone that I used to know very very well.

This post makes me happy Heart Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
05-10-2014, 08:50 PM
(03-10-2014 10:05 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  ...depression is just someone that I used to know very very well.

I like that one a lot. Thumbsup

(03-10-2014 09:16 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Apathy is better than misery.

"Depression is rage spread thin." - Santayana

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-10-2014, 09:11 PM
[img][Image: ibreak_zps00dcbcec.jpg][/img]

Thanks for the reminder - I haven't been good about getting the Lexapro in me lately.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
05-10-2014, 09:38 PM
(05-10-2014 09:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  [img][Image: ibreak_zps00dcbcec.jpg][/img]

Thanks for the reminder - I haven't been good about getting the Lexapro in me lately.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places." - Hemingway

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-10-2014, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 10:15 PM by evenheathen.)
Reality is my metaphor.

If there was a god, he would weep.

If there was a capable god, he would be.

I am, and I weep.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
05-10-2014, 10:25 PM
(05-10-2014 10:09 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Reality is my metaphor.

If there was a god, he would weep.

If there was a capable god, he would be.

"I talk to God but the sky is empty." - Plath

(05-10-2014 10:09 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I am, and I weep.

"I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am." - Plath

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-10-2014, 12:59 AM
(01-10-2014 04:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Sister's boyfriend offed himself last week. He suffered from clinical depression. So do I. Coincidentally I had to do a tactical pause and a personal check of my subordinates today due to an uptick in suicides in my organization. Got me thinking about how I would describe my black dog when it's unchained.

You better believe you should pause and take a personal check. Every increase in your organization is a factor to your present circumstance. Just saying it out loud, friend. Big factor. Worth checking into. Don't unchain your black dog, and don't release the hounds. I appreciate your presence.

Having said that, I've always noted: "Nature has a funny way of breaking what does not bend"
-Jewel.

Moreover, I understand an author Douglas Coupland who once mention that once some of us fall off the cliff and manage to climb back on, things never look the same. Thats true- but those deep cracks get to be chosen what to be filled with… and there is so much beauty it makes me cry. Never forget that beauty… it's worth it.
14-11-2014, 05:34 PM
I am a person with many tasks, yet I lack the urgency to complete them.

This is how I've been feeling lately. Thought it was a good metaphor to share. Sometimes you just get bogged down, and the smallest tasks just... Don't get done, or get done late, or in a sloppy manner.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
14-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Today I plunged into the abyss. Took me by surprise. Goddamn I have to remember to take the Lexapro. It's not like I don't have it here to take.

I was near tears and ready to walk out onto the nearest highway. Too many hits lately for me to stay upright. Trying to just hang on in the hope that tomorrow will be a better day. Off to get that pill down my throat.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
14-11-2014, 09:04 PM
My depression manifests itself physiologically as uncontrollable incapacitating retching. It is a good thing to have a physiological indicator. I know what's going on and when my black dog howls everyone hears him. Laid me out earlier this week in front of my colleagues. I don't hide it from them and they all know exactly what's going on but very few if any can understand let alone appreciate the black dog's wailing pleas. The black dog's howls scare the shit outta them. But I knew exactly what was happening and immediately called my Witch Doctor who upped my dose and the black dog went back to sleep after a day instead of a month.

Intellectually I know that the black dog is on my side. He is my early warning system that my neurochemistry is out of whack. Like my blood glucose meter is my early warning system that my sugars are out of whack. Being able to hold onto that actionable intel long enough to actually act on it can be tricky.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post