Poll: Would you inform the public of the end of the world?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Meteor.. what would you do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Meteor.. what would you do?
You are a leader of a country and you have isolated intelligence on a meteor that was discovered 2 years ago. On its discovery it was given a 50/50 percentage of hitting the earth but today you find out off new data and more detailed calculations that it has a 95% chance of colliding. You have 18 months until impact day.

Would you make it public or would you keep it a secret, what would be your reasoning behind your decision?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2013, 09:36 PM
RE: Meteor.. what would you do?
Wouldn't other countries know about it as well? It's hard for this event to be isolated. Especially one big chunk of rock that is eighteen months close.
Find all posts by this user
16-02-2013, 09:59 PM
bemore Wrote:Would you make it public or would you keep it a secret, what would be your reasoning behind your decision?

Of course I'd make it public. People might finally start treating each other the way they should - like humans and not something separate from themselves.

And there'll be greater odds for me getting laid - at least one last time. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
16-02-2013, 10:10 PM
1. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Meaning you inform as many people as possible and do as much as you can to prevent the event from happening. Even a 1% chance of success is better than 0%.

2. You have no right to withhold information about the life and well being of someone, let alone billions of people. If people riot and murder as a result, you approach it and deal with it like it was any other disturbance.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
17-02-2013, 12:40 AM
I'd tell the public and then appear to go about my daily business.

.... Speaking of business, lets get down too it.
How big are we talking? What's the projected damage, global and local? Do I have the resources to try to do something about it and what is the rest of the world doing about it? Are there any major events stripping resources which could be rerouted?

If you want detailed answers, I need detailed hypotheticals!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Harry Browne was once asked: "If you were elected to be the president of the USA -- what would you do?"

His answer: "I would resign".

(Ironically after that he was the Libertarian Party's Presidential nominee in the U.S. elections of 1996 and 2000. He is dead now, so I guess he resigned from the human species.)

I am in a Sunday morning misanthropic mood.
17-02-2013, 07:02 AM
(16-02-2013 09:59 PM)kim Wrote:  People might finally start treating each other the way they should - like humans and not something separate from themselves.
Ah, but Kimmie, people are something separate from me. Separate and inherently inferior. Humankind sucks and deserves to be hated. Not me, though, somehow I'm completely different and infinitely better.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
17-02-2013, 07:24 AM
I would not make it public, with the exception of specific scientific teams. It would create even more panic than the thousands during the 2012 apocalypse. It is best to keep them calm so we can think things through.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
17-02-2013, 07:28 AM
(16-02-2013 08:44 PM)bemore Wrote:  You are a leader of a country and you have isolated intelligence on a meteor that was discovered 2 years ago. On its discovery it was given a 50/50 percentage of hitting the earth but today you find out off new data and more detailed calculations that it has a 95% chance of colliding. You have 18 months until impact day.

Would you make it public or would you keep it a secret, what would be your reasoning behind your decision?

This is not a realistic scenario; sorry. The asteroid 2012 DA14 that went by Friday was discovered by amateur astronomers.
There are millions of us, so there will likely be independent observation of anything big enough to really do us damage.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-02-2013, 09:22 AM
(17-02-2013 07:02 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 09:59 PM)kim Wrote:  People might finally start treating each other the way they should - like humans and not something separate from themselves.
Ah, but Kimmie, people are something separate from me. Separate and inherently inferior. Humankind sucks and deserves to be hated. Not me, though, somehow I'm completely different and infinitely better.

Oh, maybe you're right. I guess maybe it won't make people any less shittier to each other. I think I'd still tell the world, just in case it does help some drop their pretense or fears or give some the excuse they've been waiting for to love.

But thanks so much for depleting my odds for and my hopeful enjoyment of even wanting to fuck one last time.

Way to ruin a happy armageddon there, bi-otch. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post