Poll: Would you inform the public of the end of the world?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Meteor.. what would you do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2013, 11:40 AM
RE: Meteor.. what would you do?
(16-02-2013 08:44 PM)bemore Wrote:  You are a leader of a country and you have isolated intelligence on a meteor that was discovered 2 years ago. On its discovery it was given a 50/50 percentage of hitting the earth but today you find out off new data and more detailed calculations that it has a 95% chance of colliding. You have 18 months until impact day.

Would you make it public or would you keep it a secret, what would be your reasoning behind your decision?

Dunno. What would you do?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2013, 11:42 AM
No no... sorry, no tomorrow.

I shall revel in my last days slaying humanity and kittens. I am made a monster in concert with the monstrous landscape surrounding.

At ease, smoke 'em if you got 'em. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-02-2013, 11:45 AM
(17-02-2013 11:42 AM)kim Wrote:  No no... sorry, no tomorrow.

I shall revel in my last days slaying humanity and kittens. I am made a monster in concert with the monstrous landscape surrounding.

No, no, think of the cheeseburgers! Weeping Uneaten, unloved, lost forever.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-02-2013, 12:07 PM
(17-02-2013 11:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, no, think of the cheeseburgers! Weeping Uneaten, unloved, lost forever.

Vegetarian.
Might have reconsidered for a portobello or black bean burger ... oh well... Sayonara. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-02-2013, 12:12 PM
(17-02-2013 11:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-02-2013 11:42 AM)kim Wrote:  No no... sorry, no tomorrow.

No, no, think of the cheeseburgers! Weeping Uneaten, unloved, lost forever.
Chas! I was never worried about the apocolypse till you said that! No CHEESEBURGERS?! Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
17-02-2013, 12:24 PM
"You are a leader of a country~"

That could never happen. I'm not a sociopath so I can't even imagine what a sociopath would do in such a situation.

I can say this.... the decision would be based on whatever option best served the sociopath.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
17-02-2013, 05:35 PM
(16-02-2013 08:44 PM)bemore Wrote:  You are a leader of a country and you have isolated intelligence on a meteor that was discovered 2 years ago. On its discovery it was given a 50/50 percentage of hitting the earth but today you find out off new data and more detailed calculations that it has a 95% chance of colliding. You have 18 months until impact day.

Would you make it public or would you keep it a secret, what would be your reasoning behind your decision?
Seeing as deflecting the meteor is no thang, I would do that (via mounted thrusters or solar flares, as planned). THEN I'd tell the public we've safely avoided a catastrophic situation, to avoid all the doom the last three pages spelled out Dodgy

The fact that we found the damned thing is a blessing, seeing as only something like 1/20th of a percent of the space budget is set aside to detect any asteroids or meteors hurdling themselves towards our planet. Blink

A good question is, if the news were too late and we didn't have enough time to deflect this (so we'd have to be hours or a few days away) then yes, I would tell people and let all hell break loose. I'm with Kim and the bean burgers, *drooling*.
17-02-2013, 05:38 PM

I require more information.

It depends on the size of the meteor, the location at which it were to hit, and the effects of the collision.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
18-02-2013, 04:56 PM
I shall clean up the scenario a little...

You are a leader of a country and you have isolated intelligence on a meteor that was discovered 2 years ago. On its discovery it was given a 50/50 percentage of hitting the earth but today you find out off new data and more detailed calculations that it has a 95% chance of colliding. You have 18 months until impact day.

This news is only known by you and the astronomy team. You do everything in your power to make sure that this news doesn't leak out (use your imagination) and you are succesful in doing this. There is no technology available that can prevent or deflect the collision of the meteor, which is approximately 5 miles in diameter. Irregardless where the meteor hits it will wipe out almost all life on earth.

If you decide to limit this information and fail to let other countries know, they will become suspicious of the actions you take from that point but they never learn the truth (if you choose to keep it secret). Somehow the rest of the world fails to spot this meteor until a few days before impact.

(17-02-2013 11:40 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Dunno. What would you do?

Its tough to call really, even though I am one for openness in government I wouldn't inform the public and I voted no.

The way I rationalise my decision is this..... Irregardless of wether people know or not will not stop the meteor from impacting in 18 months time. So if the information is made public then the last 18 months of life on earth will slowly become a hell hole as law and order break down more and more leading up to impact day.

Not informing people allows them to live their last 18 months of life normally.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
19-02-2013, 12:17 AM
(18-02-2013 04:56 PM)bemore Wrote:  I shall clean up the scenario a little...

You are a leader of a country and you have isolated intelligence on a meteor that was discovered 2 years ago. On its discovery it was given a 50/50 percentage of hitting the earth but today you find out off new data and more detailed calculations that it has a 95% chance of colliding. You have 18 months until impact day.

This news is only known by you and the astronomy team. You do everything in your power to make sure that this news doesn't leak out (use your imagination) and you are succesful in doing this. There is no technology available that can prevent or deflect the collision of the meteor, which is approximately 5 miles in diameter. Irregardless where the meteor hits it will wipe out almost all life on earth.

If you decide to limit this information and fail to let other countries know, they will become suspicious of the actions you take from that point but they never learn the truth (if you choose to keep it secret). Somehow the rest of the world fails to spot this meteor until a few days before impact.

(17-02-2013 11:40 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Dunno. What would you do?

Its tough to call really, even though I am one for openness in government I wouldn't inform the public and I voted no.

The way I rationalise my decision is this..... Irregardless of wether people know or not will not stop the meteor from impacting in 18 months time. So if the information is made public then the last 18 months of life on earth will slowly become a hell hole as law and order break down more and more leading up to impact day.

Not informing people allows them to live their last 18 months of life normally.
You make it all public and release every bit of info found about the meteor in order to start funding projects across the world attempting to find and create the technology to break up or deflect the meteor for the safety of the world. I wouldn't care about a period of 18 months having complete disarray if the timeline means there is no saving throw to aid humanity to survive after that point.

In your rational to say no, you are saying, since our country now doesn't know of the technology now we are giving up and caring about controlling pointless peace for a finite known period of time; unless you get close to miraculous odds in your favor.

(And you said irregardless :noSmile

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson