Michelle Obama's 2010 Spain trip costs taxpayers nearly half a million dollars.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Michelle Obama's 2010 Spain trip costs taxpayers nearly half a million dollars.
First lady Michelle Obama's 2010 trip to Spain cost taxpayers nearly $470,000, according to a conservative watchdog group that obtained Secret Service records from the overseas excursion. That trip, which the first lady took with her younger daughter Sasha, drew widespread criticism at the time -- as the visuals of the first lady in an elegant Mediterranean setting clashed with the still-struggling U.S. economy.

Judicial Watch, which filed a Freedom of Information Act request, claimed Thursday that documents show the trip cost at least $467,585. Those costs are split between Secret Service expenses and expenses for the flight and flight crew. Secret Service costs totaled nearly $255,000, according to Judicial Watch. Based on Pentagon estimates of flight costs, another $199,000 went toward the flight from the United States to Mallorca and back. On top of that were various expenses for the 15-person flight crew. They stayed at a local motel at a cost of roughly $10,000, according to Judicial Watch, in addition to money spent on rental cars and food.

A representative from the first lady's office has not yet responded to a request for comment from FoxNews.com.

At the time of the Spanish getaway, the White House described the vacation as a private trip and said the first lady and others would be paying their own expenses. But while the first lady is not technically an elected official, any trip away from Washington comes with inevitable costs borne by the taxpayer -- such as Secret Service protection. The same was true for previous first ladies.

Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton invoked the recent scandal involving the General Services Administration's costly conference in the Las Vegas area in chastising the president's family for the trip. "The American people can ill afford to keep sending the First Family on vacations around the globe," he said in a written statement. "There needs to be greater sensitivity to the costs borne by taxpayers for these personal trips. It is hypocritical for President Obama to fire GSA officials for wasteful conference spending, while his family went on a luxury vacation in the Costa del Sol Spain that cost taxpayers nearly half a million dollars."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/...z1tFtVvJfj

And people think that Romney is out of touch with the middle class.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
28-04-2012, 01:39 AM
RE: Michelle Obama's 2010 Spain trip costs taxpayers nearly half a million dollars.
(27-04-2012 09:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:   First lady Michelle Obama's 2010 trip to Spain cost taxpayers nearly $470,000, according to a conservative watchdog group that obtained Secret Service records from the overseas excursion. That trip, which the first lady took with her younger daughter Sasha, drew widespread criticism at the time -- as the visuals of the first lady in an elegant Mediterranean setting clashed with the still-struggling U.S. economy.

Judicial Watch, which filed a Freedom of Information Act request, claimed Thursday that documents show the trip cost at least $467,585. Those costs are split between Secret Service expenses and expenses for the flight and flight crew. Secret Service costs totaled nearly $255,000, according to Judicial Watch. Based on Pentagon estimates of flight costs, another $199,000 went toward the flight from the United States to Mallorca and back. On top of that were various expenses for the 15-person flight crew. They stayed at a local motel at a cost of roughly $10,000, according to Judicial Watch, in addition to money spent on rental cars and food.

A representative from the first lady's office has not yet responded to a request for comment from FoxNews.com.

At the time of the Spanish getaway, the White House described the vacation as a private trip and said the first lady and others would be paying their own expenses. But while the first lady is not technically an elected official, any trip away from Washington comes with inevitable costs borne by the taxpayer -- such as Secret Service protection. The same was true for previous first ladies.

Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton invoked the recent scandal involving the General Services Administration's costly conference in the Las Vegas area in chastising the president's family for the trip. "The American people can ill afford to keep sending the First Family on vacations around the globe," he said in a written statement. "There needs to be greater sensitivity to the costs borne by taxpayers for these personal trips. It is hypocritical for President Obama to fire GSA officials for wasteful conference spending, while his family went on a luxury vacation in the Costa del Sol Spain that cost taxpayers nearly half a million dollars."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/...z1tFtVvJfj

And people think that Romney is out of touch with the middle class.

The Obama Administration has really had some embarrassing problems with fiscal control during the past four years. One of my major complaints with the current president.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
30-04-2012, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 10:54 AM by Antirepublican.)
RE: Michelle Obama's 2010 Spain trip costs taxpayers nearly half a million dollars.
You are seriously fucking retarded....

Stop posting BS from Faux News....a fake news organization.
It nothing but republican propaganda.

There was another story identical to this one a while back about president obama, and every could of days they jacked the price up, millions to billions of dollars, to infuriate the racist redneck gullible retards that watch that horse shit.
30-04-2012, 11:07 AM
(30-04-2012 10:48 AM)Antirepublican Wrote:  You are seriously fucking retarded....

Stop posting BS from Faux News....a fake news organization.
It nothing but republican propaganda.

There was another story identical to this one a while back about president obama, and every could of days they jacked the price up, millions to billions of dollars, to infuriate the racist redneck gullible retards that watch that horse shit.

Refute the numbers or shut the fuck up.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-04-2012, 11:26 AM
So what are you suggesting she do Germany? Just stay at the white house for 4 or 8 years doing nothing? Having all of her family visit her instead of having a life? Do you want the presidents wife to go unprotected wherever she goes? Security of that nature costs money and being first lady she receives NO paycheck from the govt. If she stayed at the whitehouse trying to keep costs down would you claim she was a lazy do-nothing then? Does Michelle actually have a chance to win with you or will you just complain about everything she does and does not do? Imagine the first lady doing absolutely nothing and going nowhere for a moment, what would here political enemies say about her? "She's a dead beat.", "She is a bad role model for our women." Right? As much as I hated Bush I never once complained about his wife doing her thing. In fact I liked her better than her husband.
-
Does Mrs. obama have a chance to win at ANYTHING with you, or are you moving goal posts back?

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes reverendjeremiah's post
30-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Just so everyone is clear. I'm not posting this as a call to impeach Obama or anything like that. Although I'm sure that's how some will take it. I'm merely pointing out that the Obama family is just as out of touch with the middle class and reality as some feel Romney is.

-Mark Twain
30-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Did you forget bush, you know the dude who fucked up just about everything, literally spent half his 8 year term on vacation.
30-04-2012, 11:32 AM
(30-04-2012 11:26 AM)reverendjeremiah Wrote:  So what are you suggesting she do Germany? Just stay at the white house for 4 or 8 years doing nothing? Having all of her family visit her instead of having a life? Do you want the presidents wife to go unprotected wherever she goes? Security of that nature costs money and being first lady she receives NO paycheck from the govt. If she stayed at the whitehouse trying to keep costs down would you claim she was a lazy do-nothing then? Does Michelle actually have a chance to win with you or will you just complain about everything she does and does not do? Imagine the first lady doing absolutely nothing and going nowhere for a moment, what would here political enemies say about her? "She's a dead beat.", "She is a bad role model for our women." Right? As much as I hated Bush I never once complained about his wife doing her thing. In fact I liked her better than her husband.
-
Does Mrs. obama have a chance to win at ANYTHING with you, or are you moving goal posts back?
I'm suggesting she not take half million dollar taxpayer funded vacations while trying to appeal to the middle class. Are you serious? Why not just go to Martha's Vineyard? It's exists soley for the president and his family to vacation. I don't dislike Michelle Obama. I'm even a fan of her attempt to get kids more active and healthy. As for Bush or his wife, I was only 17 when he was elected the first time and constantly out to sea during 3 of his last 4 years. I didn't have an opportunity to pay much attention to his presidency other than what I could download from Stars and Stripes magazine.

-Mark Twain
30-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Thats cool Germany. I understand you were a bit young and in a position where you couldnt really see the economy tanking under Bush. When Bush was elected I was around 30 years old and in America the entire time and I paid close attention to it.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user