Michigan Bill to Allow "Vermont Style" Concealed Carry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Michigan Bill to Allow "Vermont Style" Concealed Carry
A bill has been introduced to allow people in Michigan to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016..._a_li.html

I've had my permit to carry for 15 years, and I do carry every day. I can honestly see both sides of the argument. I do think that criminals will carry guns regardless of the law - and law abiding citizens are not the problem. Training is good - and I think everyone SHOULD get some good training - and train often. But, I don't think it's right to deny anyone the capability of defending themselves.

I'm just glad to see the direction of things is more freedom, and not less.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2016, 09:59 AM
RE: Michigan Bill to Allow "Vermont Style" Concealed Carry
(05-02-2016 06:05 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A bill has been introduced to allow people in Michigan to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

I've had my permit to carry for 15 years, and I do carry every day. I can honestly see both sides of the argument. I do think that criminals will carry guns regardless of the law - and law abiding citizens are not the problem. Training is good - and I think everyone SHOULD get some good training - and train often. But, I don't think it's right to deny anyone the capability of defending themselves.

I think that a license should be required and some training should be a requirement to get the license.
However, it should be a "shall issue", not a a "may issue" requirement.

Or, more simply, the certificate of training is the license.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-02-2016, 01:42 PM
(05-02-2016 09:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 06:05 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A bill has been introduced to allow people in Michigan to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

I think that a license should be required and some training should be a requirement to get the license.

That's reasonable.....

One thing I think though -- that anyone who's been in the service, or worked as an LEO ought to be automatically qualified.... If you can carry an M-4 into a firefight - you sure ought to be able to carry a 9mm into Walmart........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-02-2016, 04:48 PM
(05-02-2016 01:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 09:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think that a license should be required and some training should be a requirement to get the license.

That's reasonable.....

One thing I think though -- that anyone who's been in the service, or worked as an LEO ought to be automatically qualified.... If you can carry an M-4 into a firefight - you sure ought to be able to carry a 9mm into Walmart........

That's reasonable.....

In Massachusetts, it is illegal to possess any magazine with a capacity of more than 10 or 'assault weapon' unless it was legally possessed before Sept 13, 1994 (pre-ban), or if you are a LEO, or a retired LEO.

The definition of “assault weapon” is the same as the federal law that went into effect on September 13, 1994.

Specific guns are banned by name, and guns with certain combinations of features are banned:
a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon ;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of:
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

05-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Fuck, if you're going to put lead in the water you may as well spray lead into everything else, right?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
05-02-2016, 05:08 PM
(05-02-2016 05:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Fuck, if you're going to put lead in the water you may as well spray lead into everything else, right?

That's reasonable.....

Big Grin

05-02-2016, 10:32 PM
I lived in Vermont until 2-1/2 years ago, and now I live in Michigan. Vermont's gun laws are fine if you're in Vermont. However, no other state has reciprocity with Vermont meaning that, unlike Michigan, Vermonters cannot carry in any other state.
05-02-2016, 10:43 PM
(05-02-2016 05:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Fuck, if you're going to put lead in the water you may as well spray lead into everything else, right?

Well, the military did use Flint for target practice last summer, so it would seem you're not alone in this line of thinking. Dodgy

Army calls cease fire on military exercises that rattled Flint

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
05-02-2016, 11:17 PM
(05-02-2016 10:32 PM)jabeady Wrote:  I lived in Vermont until 2-1/2 years ago, and now I live in Michigan. Vermont's gun laws are fine if you're in Vermont. However, no other state has reciprocity with Vermont meaning that, unlike Michigan, Vermonters cannot carry in any other state.

Not accurate.
Quote:Vermont Residents can carry in the states of Arizona, Alaska, Kansas, Maine and Oklahoma with just their state Issued Drivers License or State issued ID if they are 21 Years of age and can legally own a firearm

See: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

06-02-2016, 01:30 AM
make having permits mandatory
give mandatory responsible gun handling training before and after the permit is issued

and bitch slap and arrest the NRA and anyone else who disagrees