Michigan Republicans trying to get more electoral votes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Michigan Republicans trying to get more electoral votes
Michigan Republicans are trying to change Michigan from a winner-take-all state to one that splits its electoral votes by district

Michigan is pretty solidly blue, so it always gives all 16 of its votes to the Democratic candidate. Currently, the House, Senate, and Governor are all Republican-controlled, and the state legislature is trying to move forward with this. Of course, they're citing that Michigan isn't "competitive enough" and they want candidates to pay attention to Michigan, but it's hard for them to not come off as trying to slice a bigger piece of the pie for Republicans. Thankfully, the Governor isn't too keen on this (at least for the time being).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2014, 05:14 PM
RE: Michigan Republicans trying to get more electoral votes
Interesting that the Governor isn't exactly for it.

The problem with altering a state to that form is how corrupt and illegitimate districts are to begin with. Whenever censuses are taken there is manipulative power taken by governors and the at large political party of the time to make districts bend to their favor opposed to representing an area in by rational means.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-11-2014, 05:40 PM
I think it would backfire on them. They'd become even less politically relevant.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-11-2014, 11:20 AM
(21-11-2014 05:14 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Interesting that the Governor isn't exactly for it.

He's pissed me off for a lot of reasons, but he's quite tame compared to the Republican controlled legislature. He's more of a "pro-business" type that doesn't side very strongly on social issues and seems to shy away from controversy.

(21-11-2014 05:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it would backfire on them. They'd become even less politically relevant.

How so? Just that the heavy blue districts wouldn't be worth flipping?
22-11-2014, 11:27 AM
(22-11-2014 11:20 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 05:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it would backfire on them. They'd become even less politically relevant.

How so? Just that the heavy blue districts wouldn't be worth flipping?

Yes. If their reasoning is to attract more presidential candidates to their state while campaigning I don't think it will make a bit of difference. The red and blue districts are so red and blue that they ain't worth trying to flip for an electoral vote or two. Of course that's not their reasoning at all.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus