Microsoft researchers reach human parity in conversational speech recognition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Microsoft researchers reach human parity in conversational speech recognition
http://blogs.microsoft.com/next/2016/10/...2gulvr5sya

Quote: Microsoft has made a major breakthrough in speech recognition, creating a technology that understands a conversation as well as a person does.

In a paper published Monday, a team of researchers and engineers in Microsoft Artificial Intelligence and Research reported a speech recognition system that makes the same or fewer errors than professional transcriptionists. The researchers reported a word error rate (WER) of 5.9 percent, down from the 6.3 percent WER the team reported just last month.

The 5.9 percent error rate is about equal to that of people who were asked to transcribe the same conversation, and it’s the lowest ever recorded against the industry standard Switchboard speech recognition task.

“We’ve reached human parity,” said Xuedong Huang, the company’s chief speech scientist. “This is an historic achievement.”

We are entering an era where this technology will be highly disruptive. No one is prepared. Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
18-10-2016, 11:04 AM
RE: Microsoft researchers reach human parity in conversational speech recognition
Just another example of Microlimp outsourcing jobs.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-10-2016, 11:34 AM
RE: Microsoft researchers reach human parity in conversational speech recognition
(18-10-2016 11:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Just another example of Microlimp outsourcing jobs.

It's funny because people are complaining about illegal immigrants nowadays, but the issue is going to be AI, and we're going to have to find a way to deal with that.

19-10-2016, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2016 04:15 AM by Gloucester.)
(18-10-2016 11:34 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 11:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Just another example of Microlimp outsourcing jobs.

It's funny because people are complaining about illegal immigrants nowadays, but the issue is going to be AI, and we're going to have to find a way to deal with that.

From what angle do you mean that GN?

Robotics have cut down the number if jobs available and de-skilled many others, but there is not the neo-Luddite revolution that was predicted, nor the massive unemployment that would have caused it. I think there was some conncerted action in Italy, stIrred by the communists, some years ago, IIRC.

I understand some of the fears over AI but not so much with this. Opens a new door for translation systems, machine interface etc, especially if they can do this in other languages than English.

But, I am a sci-fi fan and this is getting another step closer to reality for some things.

Probably takes a small truck load of gear at the mo, wait till it is in our pockets!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
19-10-2016, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2016 04:39 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
(19-10-2016 04:11 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 11:34 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  It's funny because people are complaining about illegal immigrants nowadays, but the issue is going to be AI, and we're going to have to find a way to deal with that.

From what angle do you mean that GN?

Robotics have cut down the number if jobs available and de-skilled many others, but there is not the neo-Luddite revolution that was predicted, nor the massive unemployment that would have caused it. I think there was some conncerted action in Italy, stIrred by the communists, some years ago, IIRC.

I understand some of the fears over AI but not so much with this. Opens a new door for translation systems, machine interface etc, especially if they can do this in other languages than English.

But, I am a sci-fi fan and this is getting another step closer to reality for some things.

Probably takes a small truck load of gear at the mo, wait till it is in our pockets!

When it gets to the point where AI can "comprehend" language, and we have AI that we can fluidly carry on conversations with. That's when things will get tricky.
19-10-2016, 05:41 AM
(19-10-2016 04:32 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 04:11 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  From what angle do you mean that GN?

When it gets to the point where AI can "comprehend" language, and we have AI that we can fluidly carry on conversations with. That's when things will get tricky.
I think we are a fair distance from "comprehension" GN. Having a machine write what you say verbatim, with colloquialisms and dialectical words, or responding accurately to "Channel five, volume down", is not comprehension - bit more complex than pressing a button but still a stimulus-response action with no intelligence.

When you can ask the TV "W...T...F.... is that?" when an unknown animal appears on the screen and it replies, "A wombat you thicko" you need to start worrying! Or marry it...

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
19-10-2016, 05:51 AM
(19-10-2016 05:41 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 04:32 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  When it gets to the point where AI can "comprehend" language, and we have AI that we can fluidly carry on conversations with. That's when things will get tricky.
I think we are a fair distance from "comprehension" GN. Having a machine write what you say verbatim, with colloquialisms and dialectical words, or responding accurately to "Channel five, volume down", is not comprehension - bit more complex than pressing a button but still a stimulus-response action with no intelligence.

When you can ask the TV "W...T...F.... is that?" when an unknown animal appears on the screen and it replies, "A wombat you thicko" you need to start worrying! Or marry it...

Actually - you'll marry it when it asks all the questions and tells you what to do.............. You just answer "yes dear", and do as you're told....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-10-2016, 06:23 AM
(19-10-2016 05:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 05:41 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I think we are a fair distance from "comprehension" GN. Having a machine write what you say verbatim, with colloquialisms and dialectical words, or responding accurately to "Channel five, volume down", is not comprehension - bit more complex than pressing a button but still a stimulus-response action with no intelligence.

Actually - you'll marry it when it asks all the questions and tells you what to do.............. You just answer "yes dear", and do as you're told....

Big Grin
It also needs to spend three hours in the bathroom getting ready for it to be truly authentic. Not that I'm stereotyping of courseTongue Laugh out load
19-10-2016, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2016 08:24 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
(19-10-2016 05:41 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 04:32 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  When it gets to the point where AI can "comprehend" language, and we have AI that we can fluidly carry on conversations with. That's when things will get tricky.

It does seem like it has a good chance of happening in this century, though. Assuming we don't destroy ourselves, obviously.