Microsoft's rape joke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Microsoft's rape joke
MICROSOFT has come under scrutiny for making a rape joke during its Xbox One event at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, otherwise known as "E3".
http://www.news.com.au/technology/gaming...6662462228

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 12:00 PM
RE: Microsoft's rape joke
(13-06-2013 11:57 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  MICROSOFT has come under scrutiny for making a rape joke during its Xbox One event at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, otherwise known as "E3".
http://www.news.com.au/technology/gaming...6662462228

And here I thought only Ray Comfort and Republicans said that kind of shit. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:First he told her that she "played like a girl", perpetuating the stereotype that girls aren't "proper" gamers.
"I can't even block correctly and you're too fast," she replied.
"Here we go, just let it happen. It'll be over soon," he said.

If your offended by that "joke" or by the "play like a girl" line, then you are way to sensitive.

And bringing up Anita Sarkeesian? For fuck sake, no wonder I thought this article seemed a bit one sided.

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like yumeji's post
13-06-2013, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 12:30 PM by ridethespiral.)
Really because somehow defeat in a video game is exactly the same thing as rape. Give me a ****ing break. Because the word 'it' can only mean 'sex.' The woman's movement ought be focused on ending the sex slave trade in Asia or genital mutilation in Africa, or the subjugation of women in the mid-east or cases of ACTUAL rape and instead they getting upset because some guy didn't let the lady win at a video game.... Last time it was that men are apparently unable to use the word 'fork' ...PAH LEAASE.

...This kind of senseless bitching (for lack of a better term) only detracts from the very real issues that are going on in the world.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like ridethespiral's post
13-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:"The guy made a bad joke. It happens, and I'm not about to crucify him for it," he wrote. "It's hard for me to blame him much at all, really. Microsoft created an environment where the perceived audience is a theoretical mass of pure mindless testosterone. Are we really supposed to be surprised when a bit of misogynist alienation ensues?"

I'm going to kind of agree with this. He probably didn't even realize what he was saying at the time, or didn't realize how bad it sounded. When you're not on the job and just with your friends, you make crude jokes because it's whatever. It's funny. But at the time of the conference, he should have been more careful about his statements. Simply said. Especially with the audiences we have.

Sexism though? Uncalled for. Dodgy

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Ferdinand's post
13-06-2013, 12:35 PM
If you're not offended by the joke then you're way too misogynistic.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I think the public is overreacting a little. It was still somewhat offensive, but lighten up. The world is offensive. Life is a giant kick in the nut sack. It'd be different if the employee was like "YOU SUCK AT GAMING BECAUSE YOU'RE A WOMAN, SUCK MY DICK."

Confused

Feel free to grab your pitchforks.

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
13-06-2013, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 01:09 PM by ridethespiral.)
(13-06-2013 12:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  If you're not offended by the joke then you're way too misogynistic.

I think that is a gross over simplification.

If you have every played a video game online ever you know that this type of thing is said between men almost verbatim every day...It's not a function of misogyny it's because women don't play games in large enough numbers to influence the culture, and in games where they do have large numbers like some MMORPGs the atmosphere does get far less testosterone heavy.

Gaming males have nothing against women but without women present in large numbers they will interact in the way which is normal for groups of males, in the same way they do on hunting trips and in cigar bars.

Is gaming dominated by men? Yes. Need it be? No. In fact virtual space is an area where most of the differences of gender don't even exist and often gender is totally anonymous, almost every game on the market features female avatar choices, and men choose them! I love it when women play, I find it attractive...but you don't walk into a game convention and demand complete cultural revision instantly because of your mere presence, just like I don't walk into a pottery studio and start cracking fart jokes.

The point those who cry 'misogyny!' are missing is that the same things could and would have been said if a man was on stage. The presenter was trying to include not to exclude.

Take your que's from this lady:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYfckZqCcUfJudNWAVZxQ...3FiMkfIQAK]

and not this lady:

[Image: 360x200]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ridethespiral's post
13-06-2013, 01:29 PM
The fact that jokes like this are so normal among men and that it comes out so easy on stage it's a sign of misogyny. Yeah it's true that all the fuzz sounds like overreacting, but the symbolic sexual violence that dominates the gaming world needs this kind of reaction.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 5 users Like nach_in's post
13-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Aside from the obvious "hurr hurr yew pley liek a gurl" part of that "joke", I'm not sure if the rest of that "joke" is even intentionally supposed to be a rape joke even if it can be construed to be; "Here we go, just let it happen. It'll be over soon," could be construed as referring to anything, surely.

And since when did one game tester ad libbing equal the views of all of Microsoft? Why is the entire company being criticized for that?

This isn't "institutionalized misogyny" this is just one guy. Also; why is Anita Sarkeesian the go-to critic of '"institutionalized misogyny" all of a sudden? She's not really anybody.

As for people being offended by their interpretations of this one guy's fail of a "joke": Whatever. Get over it, it's not going to do anything.

Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
[+] 6 users Like MrAttacus's post