Microsoft's rape joke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 01:58 PM
RE: Microsoft's rape joke
(13-06-2013 12:58 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Take your que's from this lady:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYfckZqCcUfJudNWAVZxQ...3FiMkfIQAK]

Hold on, isn't the point of her character supposed to be that her attempts at imitating stoic honorable male knights are misguided? She's not supposed to be a female role model. Clearly you didn't get the point of her line: "You sound like a bloody woman" to Jamie. And Jamie pointing out why having a stubborn code of honor like a knight is flawed; because it allows for being complacent in atrocities.

Sorry if that is a bit off-topic but I felt I had to point that out Big Grin

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 02:03 PM
(13-06-2013 01:58 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 12:58 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Take your que's from this lady:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYfckZqCcUfJudNWAVZxQ...3FiMkfIQAK]

Hold on, isn't the point of her character supposed to be that her attempts at imitating stoic honorable male knights are misguided? She's not supposed to be a female role model. Clearly you didn't get the point of her line: "You sound like a bloody woman" to Jamie. And Jamie pointing out why having a stubborn code of honor like a knight is flawed; because it allows for being complacent in atrocities.

that's the whole point of the debate, women should be more "manly" and suck it up, because it's just one joke, never mind is in an ocean of equal and even worse jokes, women should suck that ocean up, because they're just jokes and they should stop being gay whiny girly bitches.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Re: Microsoft's rape joke
Everyone is just assuming its a rape joke. "Just let it happen" doesn't imply any sexual context. Imho it means "stop complaining and just let me win because im clearly better." In other words, he's trash talking his opponent; he's not raping her Rolleyes
[+] 2 users Like elk1007's post
13-06-2013, 02:12 PM
(13-06-2013 02:07 PM)elk1007 Wrote:  Everyone is just assuming its a rape joke. "Just let it happen" doesn't imply any sexual context. Imho it means "stop complaining and just let me win because im clearly better." In other words, he's trash talking his opponent; he's not raping her Rolleyes

AAARRRRRRGH!!! You stole my name!

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
[+] 4 users Like ELK12695's post
13-06-2013, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 02:31 PM by ridethespiral.)
(13-06-2013 01:58 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  Hold on, isn't the point of her character supposed to be that her attempts at imitating stoic honorable male knights are misguided? She's not supposed to be a female role model. Clearly you didn't get the point of her line: "You sound like a bloody woman" to Jamie. And Jamie pointing out why having a stubborn code of honor like a knight is flawed; because it allows for being complacent in atrocities.

Yeah she is a bit of an enigma...True that her desires are probably misguided but that is a reflection on the organization and burdon of duty/suffering in the world and not her. I don't think that taints her character in any way.

I was referring to the way that she enters a strictly male world not only by trend (like in gaming) but via outright decree and what is tantamount to cultural law. Literally a woman has 'no right' to hold such a role in that world...Yet she does so anyway, and she does it without complaint, she does it without ever using her gender as a means to her own ends (she doesn't go to Rinley and declare that the rules of the tournament be changed to accommodate her, she simply wins). She does what she does with the utmost degree of honor possible and she does it because she is serious about it, because it is what she wants to do deep down, not because she feels that is her duty to break down each and every falsely perceived barrier that she can find in the world before moving on to the next (she is not taking on the maestership next, nor picketing the Nights Watch). By contrast Sarkeesian seems to take umbrage to every industry or subculture in which exists a male majority (developers, gamers) whats next telling deep sea crab fishers that they can't piss off the rail?

Brienne wins the respect of Jaime the best swordsman in Westros, by going toe to toe with him, by earning respect, not by declaring that his way of life is wrong and misguided...in fact as you point out it is Jaime who makes this statement (and also I believe that the bath scene and the dialog therein are unique to the HBO series). If you want respect from other developers learn what github is before you declaring 'forking' sexist.

...I think the only real problem with using her as an example is that she is purely fictional.

I think this lady might be a good real life example (assuming the TV makes an accurate portrayal):

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7DClaBlGdtaU4rAjubP5...mt-PTpAkkY]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
13-06-2013, 02:36 PM
(13-06-2013 02:03 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 01:58 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  Hold on, isn't the point of her character supposed to be that her attempts at imitating stoic honorable male knights are misguided? She's not supposed to be a female role model. Clearly you didn't get the point of her line: "You sound like a bloody woman" to Jamie. And Jamie pointing out why having a stubborn code of honor like a knight is flawed; because it allows for being complacent in atrocities.

that's the whole point of the debate, women should be more "manly" and suck it up, because it's just one joke, never mind is in an ocean of equal and even worse jokes, women should suck that ocean up, because they're just jokes and they should stop being gay whiny girly bitches.

Is this a serious troll or sarcasm? Because I can't tell at all.Consider

I would argue however that there is no such objective thing as "manly" or "girly" or even "gay"( as a type of personality behaviour) and these memes change with culture/society.

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
[+] 1 user Likes MrAttacus's post
13-06-2013, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 03:21 PM by nach_in.)
(13-06-2013 02:36 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 02:03 PM)nach_in Wrote:  that's the whole point of the debate, women should be more "manly" and suck it up, because it's just one joke, never mind is in an ocean of equal and even worse jokes, women should suck that ocean up, because they're just jokes and they should stop being gay whiny girly bitches.

Is this a serious troll or sarcasm? Because I can't tell at all.Consider

I would argue however that there is no such objective thing as "manly" or "girly" or even "gay"( as a type of personality behaviour) and these memes change with culture/society.

it was sarcastic, sorry, this topics tend to get the worst out of me.

I think that even if it is a joke it's misogynistic to say that women should deal with it, men should accept that jokes can be offensive and stop doing it if the target of the joke just doesn't want to take it anymore.

Insisting that women are blowing things out of proportions is like a bully saying that the last "joke" wasn't that bad and that the bullied is exaggerating things.

If the joke was something like "I'll kill you like a nigga" or anything similar people would be going berzerk on the news about racism. But because it's about girls, whoever complains is just a hysterical bitch.

[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
13-06-2013, 03:29 PM
(13-06-2013 03:18 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 02:36 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  Is this a serious troll or sarcasm? Because I can't tell at all.Consider

it was sarcastic, sorry, this topics tend to get the worst out of me.

I think that even if it is a joke it's misogynistic to say that women should deal with it, men should accept that jokes can be offensive and stop doing it if the target of the joke just doesn't want to take it anymore.

Insisting that women are blowing things out of proportions is like a bully saying that the last "joke" wasn't that bad and that the bullied is exaggerating things.

If the joke was something like "I'll kill you like a nigga" or anything similar people would be going berzerk on the news about racism. But because it's about girls, whoever complains is just a hysterical bitch.

Ah ok, fair enough Thumbsup (Even if your sarcasm implies you were actually attacking a straw-man of what you thought was my view, never-mind Smile )

Although I'm still not convinced that being offended on it's own could produce any long term, serious adverse effects on a person, other than them feeling irritated for a short period of time.

13-06-2013, 03:39 PM
(13-06-2013 03:29 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 03:18 PM)nach_in Wrote:  it was sarcastic, sorry, this topics tend to get the worst out of me.

Ah ok, fair enough Thumbsup (Even if your sarcasm implies you were actually attacking a straw-man of what you thought was my view, never-mind Smile )

Although I'm still not convinced that being offended on it's own could produce any long term, serious adverse effects on a person, other than them feeling irritated for a short period of time.

I agree, the girl won't live her life in suffering for that joke. But that's not the issue, the issue is that belittling a women is considered not only natural, but also entertaining. The misogynistic ideas are so ingrained in our culture that we don't notice them anymore and that invisibility can cause harm in many ways (all forms of violence and oppression).

So while this is a small case, it's a good opportunity to raise awareness of precisely that naturalization of oppressive ideas, and that's why so many feminists jump to it.

the devil is in the details Evil_monster

[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
13-06-2013, 03:53 PM
So I read this thread at work but not the article, or the joke. Now I've seen this 'terrible' joke, I'm like "WTF?!".

Are people really getting worked up by this? Things like this really piss me off because they inadvertently damage the cause of people struggling against real oppression. That's right, people reacting to this devalue the campaign against actual sexism!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 6 users Like Hughsie's post