Microsoft's rape joke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 04:05 PM
RE: Microsoft's rape joke
No it doesn't, it gives visibility to small but important aspects of sexism. That's a win in my book

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 04:11 PM
(13-06-2013 03:53 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So I read this thread at work but not the article, or the joke. Now I've seen this 'terrible' joke, I'm like "WTF?!".

Are people really getting worked up by this? Things like this really piss me off because they inadvertently damage the cause of people struggling against real oppression. That's right, people reacting to this devalue the campaign against actual sexism!

This, so much^
Here, have a bowl of gold stars:
[Image: Gold-Star-edible-glitter.jpg]

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes yumeji's post
13-06-2013, 04:13 PM
(13-06-2013 12:41 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I think the public is overreacting a little. It was still somewhat offensive, but lighten up. The world is offensive. Life is a giant kick in the nut sack. It'd be different if the employee was like "YOU SUCK AT GAMING BECAUSE YOU'RE A WOMAN, SUCK MY DICK."

Confused

Feel free to grab your pitchforks.

Oh but Ferdy, that's exactly what he was saying.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-06-2013, 04:13 PM
(13-06-2013 04:05 PM)nach_in Wrote:  No it doesn't, it gives visibility to small but important aspects of sexism. That's a win in my book

It makes most people who aren't militant feminists more hostile to the cause. They see some guy getting shafted over an innocuous comment, they disagree with it, and they blame the anti-sexism cause for what's happening. Then they are less likely to be sympathetic when there's a case of actual sexism. Plus, when they hear of a case of actual sexism then it's more likely that they will dismiss it as unfounded before they even know the details as they may associate it with this kind of crap.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 4 users Like Hughsie's post
13-06-2013, 04:16 PM
(13-06-2013 12:58 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 12:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  If you're not offended by the joke then you're way too misogynistic.

I think that is a gross over simplification.

If you have every played a video game online ever you know that this type of thing is said between men almost verbatim every day...It's not a function of misogyny it's because women don't play games in large enough numbers to influence the culture, and in games where they do have large numbers like some MMORPGs the atmosphere does get far less testosterone heavy.

Gaming males have nothing against women but without women present in large numbers they will interact in the way which is normal for groups of males, in the same way they do on hunting trips and in cigar bars.

Is gaming dominated by men? Yes. Need it be? No. In fact virtual space is an area where most of the differences of gender don't even exist and often gender is totally anonymous, almost every game on the market features female avatar choices, and men choose them! I love it when women play, I find it attractive...but you don't walk into a game convention and demand complete cultural revision instantly because of your mere presence, just like I don't walk into a pottery studio and start cracking fart jokes.

The point those who cry 'misogyny!' are missing is that the same things could and would have been said if a man was on stage. The presenter was trying to include not to exclude.

Take your que's from this lady:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYfckZqCcUfJudNWAVZxQ...3FiMkfIQAK]

and not this lady:

[Image: 360x200]

When I find jokes about male dominance over females and allusions to forced sexual relations funny again, I'll be sure to look you up and tell you that you're right. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
13-06-2013, 04:22 PM
(13-06-2013 04:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 04:05 PM)nach_in Wrote:  No it doesn't, it gives visibility to small but important aspects of sexism. That's a win in my book

It makes most people who aren't militant feminists more hostile to the cause. They see some guy getting shafted over an innocuous comment, they disagree with it, and they blame the anti-sexism cause for what's happening. Then they are less likely to be sympathetic when there's a case of actual sexism. Plus, when they hear of a case of actual sexism then it's more likely that they will dismiss it as unfounded before they even know the details as they may associate it with this kind of crap.

"the cause" is not about convincing people, but to raise the topic. With feminism bad publicity it's still publicity.

Some theories even go as far as to say that this kind of "overreaction" is a good way to empower women (and other genders too) to raise their voices when facing sexism. Something along the lines of: "Not reacting is leaving people behind"

13-06-2013, 04:28 PM
(13-06-2013 04:22 PM)nach_in Wrote:  "the cause" is not about convincing people, but to raise the topic. With feminism bad publicity it's still publicity.

Some theories even go as far as to say that this kind of "overreaction" is a good way to empower women (and other genders too) to raise their voices when facing sexism. Something along the lines of: "Not reacting is leaving people behind"

How can people expect to raise awareness about actual sexism if everyone switches off the moment they open their mouths and people dismiss their views without even hearing them? They can't. They lose their ability to combat actual sexism because they get tarred with the brush of things like this.

I live in England and it's got so bad here that nearly all the women I know claim to hate feminism. They fully believe in equality for women but they view feminists as people who fight ridiculous causes like this instead of actual issues. They would be mortified if you called them a feminist. How does that help the feminist cause?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
13-06-2013, 04:33 PM
(13-06-2013 04:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 04:22 PM)nach_in Wrote:  "the cause" is not about convincing people, but to raise the topic. With feminism bad publicity it's still publicity.

How can people expect to raise awareness about actual sexism if everyone switches off the moment they open their mouths and people dismiss their views without even hearing them? They can't. They lose their ability to combat actual sexism because they get tarred with the brush of things like this.

I live in England and it's got so bad here that nearly all the women I know claim to hate feminism. They fully believe in equality for women but they view feminists as people who fight ridiculous causes like this instead of actual issues. They would be mortified if you called them a feminist. How does that help the feminist cause?

that's actually good, feminism is not that great. That's why it's called gender issues now... more inclusive Smartass

The word feminism has two very distinctive meanings, one is the activism (generally extremist and overall stupid) and the other one is the academic "feminist theories" that one is more self concious but because it exist only in academic spaces it's not actually useful for pursuing change.

[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
13-06-2013, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 04:52 PM by ridethespiral.)
(13-06-2013 04:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  When I find jokes about male dominance over females and allusions to forced sexual relations funny again, I'll be sure to look you up and tell you that you're right. Drinking Beverage

Your right the joke is about dominance, that is what trash talking is, it's intimidation, but it doesn't have to be sexual...

One wrestler has another in a choke hold and says "Here we go. Just let it happen. It'll be over soon." Makes sense to me...

I'm playing a racing game and my RWD car is faster in a sweep that my opponents AWD that I have been tailing for almost a lap, so I say "Here we go. Just let it happen. It'll be over soon." Makes sense to me...in fact that is what we call clean racing, I'm telling him that I'm going to pass him and where, its a courtesy laced with banter.

It's not about rape it's about victory, it's about the spirit of competition in a VR world where he had no physical advantage over her in any way! None! Avatars are not gender specific nobody is wasting polygons rendering their genitalia. Women should embrace virtual space as a way to compete against men on sheer mental ability alone, instead of trying to take the violence out of a FIGHTING GAME!

I hand my 1 year old daughter controller #2 all the time, which she promptly eats (but that is irrelevant). I hope that even though she is female that she can still play games with her dad. I've always wanted a kid to play games with, and I'll be damned if I let gender prevent that.

The mistake you make is assuming that practically everything that comes out of a man's mouth is a personal attack and further more that is sexual in nature. Anita Sarkeesian is a nobody with a narcissistic world view in which everyone wants to penetrate her and everything is about gender. She is attempting to convince us that all interaction between a male and female has to have sexual undertones, and that to please her we should all tiptoe around life for fear of offending her, and she seems to delight in seeking out offense, and to that I say BS.

Ps. To comment on the nach_in Hughsie conversation... In college the place where all LGBT people and anyone in need of contraception or sexual support was supposed to go was (and to my knowledge still is) called 'The Women's Center' if that is not sexist I don't know what is, there is a clear double standard here.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
13-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Never grab a book about gender studies guys, it will only make you angry Tongue