Microsoft's rape joke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 04:52 PM
RE: Microsoft's rape joke
(13-06-2013 04:40 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Never grab a book about gender studies guys, it will only make you angry Tongue

I, for one, don't cherry pick which studies I read based on what my emotional reaction would be. That just isn't the right approach if you want to find out facts objectively. Wink

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MrAttacus's post
13-06-2013, 04:53 PM
"Sir I don't think you are allowed to come into this store and talk about units..."

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2013, 05:01 PM
(13-06-2013 03:39 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 03:29 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  Ah ok, fair enough Thumbsup (Even if your sarcasm implies you were actually attacking a straw-man of what you thought was my view, never-mind Smile )

Although I'm still not convinced that being offended on it's own could produce any long term, serious adverse effects on a person, other than them feeling irritated for a short period of time.

I agree, the girl won't live her life in suffering for that joke. But that's not the issue, the issue is that belittling a women is considered not only natural, but also entertaining. The misogynistic ideas are so ingrained in our culture that we don't notice them anymore and that invisibility can cause harm in many ways (all forms of violence and oppression).

So while this is a small case, it's a good opportunity to raise awareness of precisely that naturalization of oppressive ideas, and that's why so many feminists jump to it.

the devil is in the details Evil_monster

On the contrary, I think the widespread internet reaction to this event proves that misogynistic ideas aren't so ingrained that they go unnoticed.

And I certainly disagree that anyone normal seriously thinks that belittling a woman is natural or par for the course as common entertainment... well that probably depends where you are in the world actually Tongue

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
13-06-2013, 05:44 PM
(13-06-2013 05:01 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 03:39 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I agree, the girl won't live her life in suffering for that joke. But that's not the issue, the issue is that belittling a women is considered not only natural, but also entertaining. The misogynistic ideas are so ingrained in our culture that we don't notice them anymore and that invisibility can cause harm in many ways (all forms of violence and oppression).

So while this is a small case, it's a good opportunity to raise awareness of precisely that naturalization of oppressive ideas, and that's why so many feminists jump to it.

the devil is in the details Evil_monster

On the contrary, I think the widespread internet reaction to this event proves that misogynistic ideas aren't so ingrained that they go unnoticed.

And I certainly disagree that anyone normal seriously thinks that belittling a woman is natural or par for the course as common entertainment... well that probably depends where you are in the world actually Tongue

Try to put yourself in the mind of a feminist and judge other people's behaviour to see if it can be reasonably (for the feminist mindset) regarded as sexist, even if it's just a bit. If you're successful you should be surprised, I know I was when my sister started pointing out all the micro-sexisms I have, for few weeks it was awesome to see how all our shared social circle started to find them all the time Tongue

for your consideration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression#Gender

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexist_joke#Sexist_jokes

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-06-2013, 07:17 PM
I find this interesting, it reminds me of the Achievement hunter fiasco, where two of the players made a comment about how they creepily follow women in their car (essentially stalking them) although it was never confirmed if they did this or not, since they say a lot of things it's hard to tell if they do it - it got a lot of attention, negative attention but one of the other players makes rape jokes but never gets called out on it.

I don't find it too offensive, just distasteful, and typical even. Although if you were beside me and you'd said "just let it happen" I'd probably beat you with the controller for being a cocky fuck.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
19-06-2013, 01:20 AM
What kind of a stupid thing this is? The joke was pretty good, a bit on the dark side, just the way I like it, Thumbs up for Microsoft in this case.

Bunch of sissies...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
19-06-2013, 02:47 AM
Fuck that. Assuming he meant something sexual just cause he's a man and she's a woman is the only sexism I see here.
[+] 5 users Like fuckingpowerful's post
19-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I Agree with Filox....This whole political correct phase is irritating. I can't even go to the bar and have a drink with the boys and talk about my wife before some woman starts harrassing me about how I should respect my wife. If I didn't respect my wife, she wouldn't be my wife, she'd be my fuckbuddy.

Lets be real here...Did this joke hurt the woman? I watched the E3 release, and she looked shocked, but she chuckled along with the guy. She didn't get up and storm off. The only "victim" here is the feminists who see every tiny comment as a personal attack. Another reality for the feminists out there, a Woman Gamer, the rare species known only to few (of which my wife happens to be), if she is insulted in a game she whoops the kids ass, then verbally "rapes" his eardrums.

TLDR: Stop being oversensitive.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 4 users Like Likos02's post
20-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Re: Microsoft's rape joke
I don't get the sexual aspect of it.. Sounds like what I was told when going to church as a kid... And it wasn't a catholic church.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-06-2013, 09:42 AM
(13-06-2013 04:40 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Never grab a book about gender studies guys, it will only make you angry Tongue

MISOGYNIST HYPOCRITE!!!!
Why only guys huh? Why are you excluding women? Or are you being sexist against guys? Why is it okay for women to read about gender studies huh? WOLF! WOLF! WOLF, I CRY!!!!

I've been a listener for a while, thought I'd check out the forums and saw this... I literally just made this account just to reply to this crap. I'm so fucking sick of these wolf crying professional victims! All this kind of behavior is doing is making everyone have to make sure that nothing they say be possibly taken the wrong way, making your movement look bad, and taking away from the issues of real sexism.

Like others have pointed out, he didn't even say "sex" or "rape" or anything sexual at all, you hear it that way because that is what you want it to hear so you can shout "MISOGYNY" to validate yourself. In movies when a person is tied up and the captor holds up a knife and says "don't worry it will all be over soon, this won't hurt a bit" he's obviously going to rape them with that knife right? Those words cant be in a sentence without it meaning rape or anything.

Also when you talk about "men just tell women to suck it up about sexist jokes cus they're misogynists blah blah blah". No, men say to suck it up because it is a joke that you are taking too seriously, and reading into something that isn't there. People like this are like the religious with their god-glasses. I don't recall any feminist groups speaking out about Sharon Osbourne on 'The Talk' laughing and making jokes about that guy's dick getting cut off and thrown into the garbage disposal... Weird bit of double standard, huh? Sexist jokes are no different than ANY OTHER offensive jokes. How often do you stand up against atheist jokes, and defend the religious? How many times have you flipped shit at a female for making comments about a man's dick being small, or his performance in bed? I don't see anyone crying about those very much if ever... but then again, its probably because the tyrannical misogynist man-pig overlords told them they aren't allowed to be offended and we need the feminazis to come rescue us...

"WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF!!!!!! WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF!!!" That's all I'm seeing here. Unless you're going to stand up for everyone that is on the receiving end of a joke, including the religious, men, republicans etc, then you're just pushing double-standard hypocrisy.

Just to be clear: Real inequality? I'm on your side all the way, black, white, jew, christian, atheist, republican, democrat etc. When it comes to JOKES?! Fucking deal with it like every other group in the world does.

Until next time... Dodgy/ HAIL FEMDOLF CLITLER!

(that guy is supposed to be doing a nazi salute, for anyone that didn't understand the joke)
[+] 1 user Likes Manly-Man of Masculism's post