Microsoft's rape joke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 11:41 PM
RE: Microsoft's rape joke
There are a million things that could've been equated to. It may have sounded like a rape joke but I'm giving Microsoft a pass because again, it's only a rape joke if you're sensitive enough to see it that way.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jkshrout's post
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
(23-06-2013 11:41 PM)jkshrout Wrote:  There are a million things that could've been equated to. It may have sounded like a rape joke but I'm giving Microsoft a pass because again, it's only a rape joke if you're sensitive enough to see it that way.

Or perverted enough. I bet this guy would say exactly the same line to a male competitor.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
11-11-2013, 10:13 AM
This is ridiculous. I have been raped. I do not think rape jokes are funny. Ever. Period.
That being said, I don't really see a rape joke in there...? Where is damn horrific rape joke? People in video games say stuff like that to each other all the time. Don't worry it'll be over soon anyways or whatever. And girls tell guys the play like girls just as often as guys say it to girls. This is just a bunch of crybabies looking for a reason to complain. I think the whole thing is a load of crap.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
18-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Seems its a lot of backlash nowadays on Microsoft, luckily i only need my PS1 and books. I feel nostalgic for this. Xbox 360, some games are chill Wink

21-11-2013, 06:49 AM
I think it was taken out of proportion just to get more webclicks and get ad revenue. It wasn't that bad, feminists should lighten up, they embarass themselves not picking at small things like this.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
21-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Meh. Women who want to game should just shit-talk right back.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
21-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I just can't help but think someone has to be of low intelligence (Or sociopathic) when they find any type of joke funny that applies to cruelty and violence - that does happen to real people on a daily basis.

Oh, never mind. It's not like approximately 1 in 3 women will be sexually assaulted in their life time. Why the fuck would we be offended by a rape joke? Cool
21-11-2013, 12:34 PM
(21-11-2013 06:49 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I think it was taken out of proportion just to get more webclicks and get ad revenue. It wasn't that bad, feminists should lighten up, they embarass themselves not picking at small things like this.

Yup. Exactly. Just chill out, women. Allow the men to take liberties of telling rape jokes because rape isn't real or anything. Just pretend that everything you do is crappy enough for it to be an insult for any guy to "play like a girl". Just shut up "feminists". Let the big mouths be big mouths and cross your legs and smile angelically like a good little girl. Rape? Puh.

*Sigh* I forgot that not only religious men can act like this. Thanks for the lesson, though. Wink
19-08-2014, 03:14 PM
(21-11-2013 12:34 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 06:49 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I think it was taken out of proportion just to get more webclicks and get ad revenue. It wasn't that bad, feminists should lighten up, they embarass themselves not picking at small things like this.

Yup. Exactly. Just chill out, women. Allow the men to take liberties of telling rape jokes because rape isn't real or anything. Just pretend that everything you do is crappy enough for it to be an insult for any guy to "play like a girl". Just shut up "feminists". Let the big mouths be big mouths and cross your legs and smile angelically like a good little girl. Rape? Puh.

*Sigh* I forgot that not only religious men can act like this. Thanks for the lesson, though. Wink

Ugh... almost didn't respond to this, but it seems I can't help myself.

I'm a woman. I'm also a casual gamer, but I hang out in voice chat with people who are more into first person shooters and things like that.

As has been pointed out already, it wasn't really a rape joke. Even if it was, it wasn't sexist. Men (or more often boys) make these kind of comments to other men (boys) all the time, even more often than they make them to women! And you know why crude jokes like this happen to be common in gaming? Because most gamers happen to be men. That's just how a good number of men choose to spend their free time, while most women spend it doing... whatever other women do with their time (much of my free time is spent on Starbound these days, but I digress).

I would add that your insistence on seeing everything through the lens of a perpetual victim is embarrassing and irritating. Grow up, woman. The world isn't out to get you. Are there monsters who rape women and think they're worthless as people? Of course. But they are NOT the majority, and that is NOT the accepted stance in Western culture. You have all the same rights as a man.

P.S. If this guy had made an ACTUAL blatant rape joke, you can bet he would have been fired. But you know what? Rape jokes, as much as I consider them to be in poor taste, are NOT the same thing as real rape and misogyny. Just because you don't find it funny, doesn't mean you're a target or a victim.

Good day to you, ma'am.
[+] 4 users Like Kari93's post
19-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Good post Kari, even with the necro. The joke was equivalent to, "It's over, just let the ownage commence". There was no gender/sex target there. Same thing would have said in a male vs male contest (probably even more trash talking though).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.