Middle eastern or Asian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Middle eastern or Asian?
I've watch some programmes from the Brits, and I constantly wonder, "Why do they say Asian, and we say Middle Eastern."

So why? I don't really understand why that part of the world would be Asia.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Re: Middle eastern or Asian?
The middle east is part of the continent of Asia.

I wasn't aware that it was refereed to in that way. It used to be Asia minor. (maybe that was a but more West thought)

Not sure why they wouldn't use a specific identifier unless they think it's offensive perhaps.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
14-05-2013, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2013 06:18 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: Middle eastern or Asian?
Maybe that's what the problem is. The way people classify continents.

I prefer the geological classification.
[Image: new_map.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
14-05-2013, 09:42 PM
RE: Middle eastern or Asian?
The middle-East is the original Asia, no less! The term dates back to dark ages Greece (~700s BC). At the time it meant Anatolia. And along with Europe (ie Greece, the Balkans) and Africa (Egypt and Libya) was one of the three continents. Except, once geography was a little better understood, some people started thinking that that classification was arbitrary and stupid (Herodotus (~400s BC), for one - why the Urals? Why not the Taurus? The Zagros? The Hindu Kush? And there's hardly a magic line in the sand passing from Gaza to Suez...). It's only good old fashioned Eurocentricism that says 'Europe' is a continent but 'India' isn't, by any criteria you care to name.

We know NOW that Africa is a separate tectonic plate, but Eurasia is mostly one big blog (except not Arabia or India!). And these days we generally use continent to refer to a big landmass that is either not or barely connected to another - with the plate tectonics for the tiebraker. Works well enough for N/S America, Africa, Australia. Arabia and India are smushed up into Asia (why yes, I'm sure that's the technical term) pretty good, so that's an easy enough gloss.

So... there's that.