Might have bitten off more than I can chew here...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2011, 08:43 PM

RE: Might have bitten off more than I can chew here...
(02-05-2011 05:19 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(02-05-2011 05:14 PM)Ron Wrote:  Indeed Spectre, this is the type of tripe we find with those who claim one thing there, but act totally different here. So much for civility...

We vented our frustrations here to stay civil when actually communicating with you. We're humans, we get angry, and we can't always let it go(especially when it's ongoing). It's sad that you had to read all of that, but if you honestly are holding us to the expectation that we are not allowed to vent to each other when frustrated then you are holding us to the standard of saints.

So, the excuse is that you have to vent because you cannot be civil all the time? Interesting... I don't find it sad, I find it odd. Venting means calling those you disagree with names? Venting means putting on a mask over there, then taking it off here?

Why not just be the same everywhere? No pretenses, no facades, no masquerade. Wouldn't that be more refreshing?

I mean really, isn’t name calling juvenile and inane?

This explains a lot…

(02-05-2011 08:54 AM)Ron Wrote:  
(02-05-2011 07:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-05-2011 07:30 AM)ikester7579 Wrote:  
(02-05-2011 07:03 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The goal is to find potentially thought provoking conversation on a subject near and dear to our hearts. This thread enables us to support one another and discuss what is going on in the other forum because any encouragement we give to one another on that forum gets censored. This is a place for us to vent out frustrations and discuss ways of reiterating statements previously censored without fear of censorship or tampering.

So explain what makes what you do different from what trolls do?

Because my goal is not piss anyone off in the other forum. I posted my reasoning in the other forum and it still holds here. Evolution is a passionate subject for me and I hope to provide some insight on that forum from a scientific perspective while remaining civil. I do not think anything I have posted could be considered trolling and I plan to keep it that way. "You catch more flys with honey than vinegar" as the saying goes. Therefore, if I want people to listen to my opinions then I need to be respectful and civil rather than accusatory and defensive.

Hmmmm, I see...

(01-05-2011 08:04 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  He is also trying to call me out for apparently taking his quotes out of context even though he does it in every response he gives me. Asshat.

Then we find comments that don't quite comport with your "I do not think anything I have posted could be considered trolling and I plan to keep it that way."

(29-04-2011 11:42 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Never trolled creationist sites before but this could get interesting.

Hmmmmmmm
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2011, 08:58 PM
(02-05-2011 05:14 PM)Ron Wrote:  Indeed Spectre, this is the type of tripe we find with those who claim one thing there, but act totally different here. So much for civility...

We vented our frustrations here to stay civil when actually communicating with you. We're humans, we get angry, and we can't always let it go(especially when it's ongoing). It's sad that you had to read all of that, but if you honestly are holding us to the expectation that we are not allowed to vent to each other when frustrated then you are holding us to the standard of saints.

Why are you still arguing with these divine creatures who never get angry, never act differently in front of certain people, and don't adhere to such silly things as "natural human behavior."

In other words, why are you still feeding the trolls?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
(02-05-2011 08:43 PM)Ron Wrote:  So, the excuse is that you have to vent because you cannot be civil all the time? Interesting... I don't find it sad, I find it odd. Venting means calling those you disagree with names? Venting means putting on a mask over there, then taking it off here?

Why not just be the same everywhere? No pretenses, no facades, no masquerade. Wouldn't that be more refreshing?

This explains a lot…

"Wearing a mask" is the only appropriate action in some real life situations, an example being if your boss is a fundamentalist and would fire you not believing in a god(I've seen it happen).
Besides that, do you go around saying everything you feel? do you scream in peoples faces how much you hate them when you get get angry? do you break down sobbing every time your upset?
No, a mask is useful sometimes. It hides things that could otherwise embarrass you, affect your job, or cause some other negative affects on your life.

I'm quite sure you call people names all the time, it doesn't matter what it is, a label is a label.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
02-05-2011, 09:32 PM
(02-05-2011 08:58 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  

Why are you still arguing with these divine creatures who never get angry, never act differently in front of certain people, and don't adhere to such silly things as "natural human behavior."

Alright, you're right. I made my apology and said my excuses, I'm done here.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
03-05-2011, 05:03 AM
This discussion is about the typical loathsome habit of religious people to think they can control things you do in private and the way you think in private. When I am in between friends I am totally free to call whatever asshat on this planet an asshat. Next time I meet that particular asshat I WILL call him sir/miss like I always do. Now if you want to come and sit around my private circle to hear someone call you an asshat and call that "trolling your private life" you have no one to blame but yourself.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Ron thy wisdom is far superior to my own. You know all and must be worshiped like a god. Either believe what I say or move on. I have neither attacked you nor anyone on the other forum. What I do ANYWHERE ELSE AT ANY OTHER TIME is none of your business. Unless you would like me to inform you of my bowel movements and dinner choices so you can tell me the hypocrisy/wrong choices I have made.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
03-05-2011, 08:31 AM

(02-05-2011 08:58 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  

So, let's see; you have decided to attack me and call me names (ad Hominem abusive) because I do my best to act the same no matter where I am?

Is this kind of lashing out normal here? Because, I am being lead to believe (via quotes by other regulars in this thread) that this isn’t the norm.

A curious trend indeed.

(02-05-2011 09:02 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
(02-05-2011 08:43 PM)Ron Wrote:  So, the excuse is that you have to vent because you cannot be civil all the time? Interesting... I don't find it sad, I find it odd. Venting means calling those you disagree with names? Venting means putting on a mask over there, then taking it off here?

This explains a lot…

"Wearing a mask" is the only appropriate action in some real life situations, an example being if your boss is a fundamentalist and would fire you not believing in a god(I've seen it happen).

Besides that, do you go around saying everything you feel? do you scream in peoples faces how much you hate them when you get get angry? do you break down sobbing every time your upset?

No, a mask is useful sometimes. It hides things that could otherwise embarrass you, affect your job, or cause some other negative affects on your life.

I'm quite sure you call people names all the time, it doesn't matter what it is, a label is a label.

You don’t have to “wear a mask” at all. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being honest no matter where you are. You can say how you feel, or you can simply say nothing; but you never have to resort to calling names and personal attacks. You can always respect the person, but disagree with their ideas.

If you disagree with someone, you can simply say “I disagree with you”, or “I suppose we’ll agree to disagree”. But flaming someone by calling them names is never the answer.

Also, there are “fundamentalist atheists” as well. I’ve worked for them, worked with them, and had them work for me. And, having been a hedonistic atheist until eighteen years ago, I fully understand why “fundamentalist atheists” believe what they believe. And no one ever got fired for believing, or not believing. In fact, for the most part, everyone got along fine because we knew what each other believed.
Further, I don’t believe in “hating” people, it is self-destructive and non-conducive to mental, spiritual and physical health. That doesn’t mean I have to like someone else’s ideas, I can “hate” what someone does, or the destructive things that they think that causes what they do.

And no, I don’t call people names, but there are names for what they do, and that is perfectly acceptable.

(03-05-2011 07:10 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ron thy wisdom is far superior to my own. You know all and must be worshiped like a god. Either believe what I say or move on. I have neither attacked you nor anyone on the other forum. What I do ANYWHERE ELSE AT ANY OTHER TIME is none of your business. Unless you would like me to inform you of my bowel movements and dinner choices so you can tell me the hypocrisy/wrong choices I have made.

Again, sarcasm and ad Hominem attacks, instead of open, honest and civil discourse?

(03-05-2011 05:03 AM)The_observer Wrote:  This discussion is about the typical loathsome habit of religious people to think they can control things you do in private and the way you think in private. When I am in between friends I am totally free to call whatever asshat on this planet an asshat. Next time I meet that particular asshat I WILL call him sir/miss like I always do. Now if you want to come and sit around my private circle to hear someone call you an asshat and call that "trolling your private life" you have no one to blame but yourself.

I see... So private conversations include open forums? And, because I am having a conversation, this is trolling?

I'll have to look at the forum rules here again, and make sure I'm not doiing something wrong in answering questions posed here....
03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
(03-05-2011 08:31 AM)Ron Wrote:  
(03-05-2011 05:03 AM)The_observer Wrote:  This discussion is about the typical loathsome habit of religious people to think they can control things you do in private and the way you think in private. When I am in between friends I am totally free to call whatever asshat on this planet an asshat. Next time I meet that particular asshat I WILL call him sir/miss like I always do. Now if you want to come and sit around my private circle to hear someone call you an asshat and call that "trolling your private life" you have no one to blame but yourself.

I see... So private conversations include open forums? And, because I am having a conversation, this is trolling?

I'll have to look at the forum rules here again, and make sure I'm not doiing something wrong in answering questions posed here....
Private conversations on public places are still private. Unless you see a chat at a bar, on the street or in the locker after a match as grand public discussions. Now if you feel the need to come closer to listen what they are about to say and extrapolate that to a discussion about an other topic on an other forum/bar/locker-room/street you are free to so. Taking offense in what is said however is your own responsibility.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
03-05-2011, 02:29 PM

(03-05-2011 12:46 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(03-05-2011 08:31 AM)Ron Wrote:  

Private conversations on public places are still private. Unless you see a chat at a bar, on the street or in the locker after a match as grand public discussions. Now if you feel the need to come closer to listen what they are about to say and extrapolate that to a discussion about an other topic on an other forum/bar/locker-room/street you are free to so. Taking offense in what is said however is your own responsibility.

Private conversations in public forums are usually conducted using that button in the bottom left hand corner of your post (normally known as the “PM”). Anything on the public forum is, in fact “public”, and are open for public discussion; especially when fallacious and unfounded spurious comments are being hurled about. But I suppose common courtesy notwithstanding; one should actually have a foundation for their accusations. Could yours then, be considered trolling….
03-05-2011, 03:22 PM
(03-05-2011 02:29 PM)Ron Wrote:  Could yours then, be considered trolling….
No

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist