Migraineurs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Information Migraineurs
Like many, I suffer from migraines. Whether you take medication or not, you may want to check out Zecuity website. They have a special where if you request info, they will send you a migraine kit. It's a kit that includes an eyemask and earplugs.

I won't use the earplugs, but the rest of it will be good.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
08-12-2015, 12:53 AM
RE: Migraineurs
(07-12-2015 06:40 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Like many, I suffer from migraines. Whether you take medication or not, you may want to check out Zecuity website. They have a special where if you request info, they will send you a migraine kit. It's a kit that includes an eyemask and earplugs.

I had a boyfriend who used to get horrible migraines. If he felt one coming on he would get a paper bag and breath into it for several minutes. He claimed it stopped the headache. If he didn't have a paper bag handy he would quickly cup his hands to his mouth and breath into his hands. I think it has something to do with increasing carbon dioxide in the blood.

Also many people find relief with botox injections somewhere in the head area. You'd have to get a doctor's prescription for the shots and then go to a qualified person who knows about botox and migraines.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-12-2015, 11:16 AM
(08-12-2015 12:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 06:40 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Like many, I suffer from migraines. Whether you take medication or not, you may want to check out Zecuity website. They have a special where if you request info, they will send you a migraine kit. It's a kit that includes an eyemask and earplugs.

I had a boyfriend who used to get horrible migraines. If he felt one coming on he would get a paper bag and breath into it for several minutes. He claimed it stopped the headache. If he didn't have a paper bag handy he would quickly cup his hands to his mouth and breath into his hands. I think it has something to do with increasing carbon dioxide in the blood.

Also many people find relief with botox injections somewhere in the head area. You'd have to get a doctor's prescription for the shots and then go to a qualified person who knows about botox and migraines.

My oldest daughter has migraines. Topamax seems to have significantly reduced the occurrence of them. My MIL, who has every ailment known to man, plus some that have still yet to be discovered, tried to convince me to get the daughter in for botox injections. Apparently, some of the plastic surgeons and maybe even a few doctors are pushing it. I'm skeptical (surprise!) But then, my MIL believes that reading specific bible verse stops bleeding, that one of her brothers can cure thrush by blowing in a child's mouth, and the other brother can remove warts by rubbing a penny on them.

Do you know if there is any good science on the efficacy of botox to prevent migraines?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
08-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Migraineurs
I've heard a lot of good reviews about botox. No one in my area does it and I don't have insurance, but I'd suggest looking into it.

I've been offered Topamax, and I'm sure I would be fine with that. I had seizures as a kid from an illness so I've had stronger meds than that.

One doctor said if you can catch a migraine as soon as it starts you can give yourself an ice cream headache. I've not been able to do that yet, so I'm not how effective that would be.
08-12-2015, 01:33 PM
(08-12-2015 12:43 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  One doctor said if you can catch a migraine as soon as it starts you can give yourself an ice cream headache. I've not been able to do that yet, so I'm not how effective that would be.

That's funny you say that! My daughter just tried that 2 days ago. We just happened to be at home and she was walking into the kitchen as she began to experience visual aura (which is the first sign she gets of an oncoming migraine.) Perfect timing to try the ice cream theory. It didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. She just complained that the taste of ice cream the second time around is worse than about anything else she had ever tasted. Not that it was scientific experiment, but she probably won't try it again.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
08-12-2015, 02:05 PM
(08-12-2015 11:16 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 12:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I had a boyfriend who used to get horrible migraines. If he felt one coming on he would get a paper bag and breath into it for several minutes. He claimed it stopped the headache. If he didn't have a paper bag handy he would quickly cup his hands to his mouth and breath into his hands. I think it has something to do with increasing carbon dioxide in the blood.

My oldest daughter has migraines. Topamax seems to have significantly reduced the occurrence of them. My MIL, who has every ailment known to man, plus some that have still yet to be discovered, tried to convince me to get the daughter in for botox injections. Apparently, some of the plastic surgeons and maybe even a few doctors are pushing it. I'm skeptical (surprise!) But then, my MIL believes that reading specific bible verse stops bleeding, that one of her brothers can cure thrush by blowing in a child's mouth, and the other brother can remove warts by rubbing a penny on them.

Do you know if there is any good science on the efficacy of botox to prevent migraines?

From what I've read the botox-migraine connection came about by accident. Ladies who were in getting botox for wrinkles began noting that their migraines were far fewer or even disappeared particularly when they were injected higher up in the forehead area. Doctors began looking into this "side effect" and using it as a way to prevent migraines. It seems to work for many people but not all. I think the botox effect wears off in several months so the patient has to go back for more shots.

I get sinus headaches that feel like a never ending ice cream headache. I put a heating pad on my head.

08-12-2015, 02:16 PM
(08-12-2015 01:33 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  That's funny you say that! My daughter just tried that 2 days ago. We just happened to be at home and she was walking into the kitchen as she began to experience visual aura (which is the first sign she gets of an oncoming migraine.) Perfect timing to try the ice cream theory. It didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. She just complained that the taste of ice cream the second time around is worse than about anything else she had ever tasted. Not that it was scientific experiment, but she probably won't try it again.

I was wondering. I rarely have ice cream handy so I couldn't try it. I get visual aura, too. Glad she tried it and discovered it's usefulness (or lack thereof) for her.

On that note, what kind of visual signs? I always get splotches. Usually it's also what I used to call "electric worms" but are can't remember the actual term. Others sort of vary.

I'm thinking of making a migraine diary page that has checkboxes and things for sufferers.
08-12-2015, 03:03 PM
(08-12-2015 02:16 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 01:33 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  That's funny you say that! My daughter just tried that 2 days ago. We just happened to be at home and she was walking into the kitchen as she began to experience visual aura (which is the first sign she gets of an oncoming migraine.) Perfect timing to try the ice cream theory. It didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. She just complained that the taste of ice cream the second time around is worse than about anything else she had ever tasted. Not that it was scientific experiment, but she probably won't try it again.

I was wondering. I rarely have ice cream handy so I couldn't try it. I get visual aura, too. Glad she tried it and discovered it's usefulness (or lack thereof) for her.

On that note, what kind of visual signs? I always get splotches. Usually it's also what I used to call "electric worms" but are can't remember the actual term. Others sort of vary.

I'm thinking of making a migraine diary page that has checkboxes and things for sufferers.

I feel so sorry for people who suffer from migraines. Do scientists know what is going on when a migraine is happening? Is it an electrical misfire or blood vessels expanding or contracting?

08-12-2015, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 03:42 PM by Clockwork.)
(08-12-2015 03:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I feel so sorry for people who suffer from migraines. Do scientists know what is going on when a migraine is happening? Is it an electrical misfire or blood vessels expanding or contracting?

It's electric that causes blood vessel problems. One main working theory is that it starts in the brainstem. It affects the trigeminal nerve, which is connected to the meninges. (That may be why mine are chronic, whereas others in my family get them but rarely.)

The brain gets something stuck "on" which causes extracerebral cephalic blood flow, hence the old idea that it is vascular. Then the blood feeds the brain and stem, thus starting a circular problem where it gets busier because there's blood, then so on.

I'll have to find the paper.

Another is that it's caused by seizure-like activity called cortical spreading depression. The electrical current gets reversed somehow and then spreads out. Since it usually starts in the visual or somatosensory cortex, that explains the aura.

So they have working ideas but nothing concrete.
24-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Has anyone heard about daith piercing supposedly helping migraines? It sounds like woo to me. All I find is anecdotal claims. I'm no stranger to piercings, but this claim sounds false.

[Image: Small-Jewelry-Ring-Daith-Piercing_zpsjjrzoiky.jpg]