Mike Flynn lies about Putin talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2017, 02:56 PM
RE: Mike Flynn lies about Putin talk
(10-02-2017 09:37 AM)abaris Wrote:  The major difference is rather obvious. A cool headed intellectual vs a hot headed primitive.

Gee, I never thought to get nostalgic feelings over the Shrub years. But this is .... I'm at a loss for words. I guess this administration will go down in history. If there is someone left to write history after this is over.

What disturbs me is the easiness with which people consider that prospect.

It's either really serious, or not that bad. I think it's extremely serious. A nuclear war threat is looming over all of us right, IMO. But people talk about it like it's just another problem in modern politics.

This American fuckup has implications for the whole world. I don't see anyone taking any action to mitigate it, just people giving into it and complaining about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like excitedpenguin's post
10-02-2017, 02:59 PM
(10-02-2017 02:56 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  A nuclear war threat is looming over all of us right, IMO. But people talk about it like it's just another problem in modern politics.

I spent the first half of my life in the cold war. The one with the Iron Curtain being 20 miles removed from my home. I'm not that easily scared as others may be. We lived our lives although we knew where the nuclear battlefield would be.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
10-02-2017, 03:06 PM
(10-02-2017 02:56 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  This American fuckup has implications for the whole world. I don't see anyone taking any action to mitigate it, just people giving into it and complaining about it.

It works like this:

Person 1. "You have a real problem. What will you do?"
American. "USA USA USA!!!"

Yes we had a Cold war. Before that WWII.

America has it's first real demagogue in power. A man who in other times and places would have already begun the executions of his enemies.

This leader seems inspired only by his own ego. History has shown this to be very dangerous.

But.

"USA USA USA!"

Americans turned down the P 51. If not for the insightful British, the air war over western Europe may never have been won.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post
10-02-2017, 03:07 PM
(10-02-2017 02:59 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 02:56 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  A nuclear war threat is looming over all of us right, IMO. But people talk about it like it's just another problem in modern politics.

I spent the first half of my life in the cold war. The one with the Iron Curtain being 20 miles removed from my home. I'm not that easily scared as others may be. We lived our lives although we knew where the nuclear battlefield would be.

It's worse now, though, according to the people who monitor and are concerned with this risk.

Do you know about the Doomsday Clock?

Look here, it's the closest to midnight it's been in over 60+ years - that means this is actually far more serious than even most of the Cold War period.

Quote:2017: For the last two years, the minute hand of the Doomsday Clock stayed set at three minutes before the hour, the closest it had been to midnight since the early 1980s. In its two most recent annual announcements on the Clock, the Science and Security Board warned: “The probability of global catastrophe is very high, and the actions needed to reduce the risks of disaster must be taken very soon.” In 2017, we find the danger to be even greater, the need for action more urgent. It is two and a half minutes to midnight, the Clock is ticking, global danger looms. Wise public officials should act immediately, guiding humanity away from the brink. If they do not, wise citizens must step forward and lead the way. See the full statement from the Science and Security Board on the 2017 time of the Doomsday Clock.

Edit mine, bolded part. Quote sourced above.
[+] 1 user Likes excitedpenguin's post
10-02-2017, 03:09 PM
(10-02-2017 03:07 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  Do you know about the Doomsday Clock?

Course. But I am not into alarmism and believe into all the checks and balances that go into this kind of shit before a missile actually flies. These people are in for glory and money. There's nothing to gain from a nuclear strike.
10-02-2017, 03:16 PM
(10-02-2017 03:06 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 02:56 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  This American fuckup has implications for the whole world. I don't see anyone taking any action to mitigate it, just people giving into it and complaining about it.

It works like this:

Person 1. "You have a real problem. What will you do?"
American. "USA USA USA!!!"

Yes we had a Cold war. Before that WWII.

America has it's first real demagogue in power. A man who in other times and places would have already begun the executions of his enemies.

This leader seems inspired only by his own ego. History has shown this to be very dangerous.

But.

"USA USA USA!"

Americans turned down the P 51. If not for the insightful British, the air war over western Europe may never have been won.

What I'm going to say may sound awfully naive and controversial, but I think the US needs to be put in its place. Diplomatically, economically, by any means available to the international community (with appropriately scaled actions of course, nothing rash).

For all of its greatness and military prowess, all it comes down to in the end is the nuclear weapons. Thankfully, this statal monster of contemporary times is not the only one who has the means to destroy the world. Therefore its powers are necessarily limited.

I have nothing against American culture or Americans. I love it, in fact. I would've hoped to go live there one day. This is about Trump though. American presidents have consolidated their strengths and expanded their liberties to act beyond naturally granted powers more and more over the centuries, to the point where certain experts are willing to call it a dictatorial position in the making, if not one already established. *Paraphrased*

This is fucking serious. You have a maniac at the head of the most powerful political position on earth and in history. The world needs to wake the fuck up.
[+] 3 users Like excitedpenguin's post
10-02-2017, 03:47 PM
(10-02-2017 03:09 PM)abaris Wrote:  These people are in for glory and money. There's nothing to gain from a nuclear strike.

While I agree that there's nothing financially to be gained by a nuclear strike, it's not clear if Trump is lucid enough to think rationally about that.

It's already been determined by anyone who cares to look that he's weak, thin-skinned, easily manipulated and an incoherent bully that's being played by forces far more powerful than him: the alt-right, the Christian fundamentalist lobby and the Kremlin. That much is abundantly clear.

What's not clear, at least to me, is whether he has the thoughtfulness to know exactly what he's doing, especially when it comes to the nuclear football. Does he really comprehend what's at stake?

His twitter tirades and his infantile petulance don't inspire confidence.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
10-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Quote:The world needs to wake the fuck up.

"The world" is between a rock and a hard place with the devil and the deep, blue sea forming the square.

Putin to the left of us, Trump to the right. China and Daesh chomping at the edges.

What the fuck is the world supposed to do? Go against Trump as a nation and you hand the advantage to Putin and others. Go with Trump and you have everyone else breathing down your neck.

The right are gaining strength and influence in Europe, never a good sign when the balance shifts in several countries at once.

Only the Americans can evict Trump from the Shite White House.

I also lived through the Cold War, waited nervously on one hour standby on a RAF fighter station whilst the Great Powers played Nuclear Standoff off Cuba. Not quite feeling that concerned but not feeling comfortable.

Almost happy that I am 72 with a serious, and worsening, heart condition and no kids.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 4 users Like Gloucester's post
10-02-2017, 07:08 PM
(10-02-2017 04:08 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
Quote:The world needs to wake the fuck up.

"The world" is between a rock and a hard place with the devil and the deep, blue sea forming the square.

Putin to the left of us, Trump to the right. China and Daesh chomping at the edges.

What the fuck is the world supposed to do? Go against Trump as a nation and you hand the advantage to Putin and others. Go with Trump and you have everyone else breathing down your neck.

The right are gaining strength and influence in Europe, never a good sign when the balance shifts in several countries at once.

Only the Americans can evict Trump from the Shite White House.

I also lived through the Cold War, waited nervously on one hour standby on a RAF fighter station whilst the Great Powers played Nuclear Standoff off Cuba. Not quite feeling that concerned but not feeling comfortable.

Almost happy that I am 72 with a serious, and worsening, heart condition and no kids.

Gloucester, I'm very sorry to hear about your health troubles. I hope you overcome them and continue to live happily for many years to come. You sound like you have a cool mind, a healthy mind, and I think that counts for a lot in the currency of life.

I don't have the answers. For the most part, I am trying to make noise in an overarching static. I am as perplexed, powerless and terrified at the situation currently developing worldwide as most everyone else.

And to respond to abaris' comment from earlier, alarmists is what I think we need the most when humanity seems to be running out of tracks to glide on. Do we give up and let our world devolve into chaos, or do we take charge and help steer it away from the trappings of a barbaric, haunting past? What needs to happen is clear.

Seekers of truth and students of compassion, untried, daring, illustrious hearts and hardened, wise minds of stewards of time, all need to be called upon to sparkle rays of hope onto a world eclipsed by the looming clouds of unchallenged tyranny. They are our guardians to the gates crackling the sounds of doom, awash with despair and emanating the perfume of blood and death, that exit the citadel of modern democracy. What lies beyond is a spiral into the dark. Awaiting at bottom is a world of sorrow and dust, untouched by the starlight of knowledge delivering us to the elusive realms of freedom forever straining at our grasp.
[+] 1 user Likes excitedpenguin's post
10-02-2017, 10:16 PM
This might actually blow up into something. Trump's setting all kinda records besides his massive popular vote victory and biggest inauguration crowd on the planet ever, you got the first time a VP has to vote for a cabinet member and now you got the first time somebody might be charged with some law from 1799. PoliScis must be jizzing themselves.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post