Mike Pence VP

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2016, 01:30 AM
RE: Mike Pence VP
(16-07-2016 06:13 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 10:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm not exaggerating when I say that I think Sarah Palin would have been a better pick than this man. He's a total lunatic, much more so than Trump himself. Newt Gingrich, Rand Paul, Lt. General Michael Flynn, Jim Webb and Jeff Sessions would all have been better picks than this complete lunatic. He's one of those Christians who thinks that homosexuals need to undergo conversion therapy to cure their 'illness' and that's not even the worst of it. No

You think politics actually matter in American Politcs? Its all about looks and personality.

Hi,

Trump and Pence photographed together look like a couple of over aged night club bouncers. This is what I expected. Confused

Trump hasn't chosen a VP to balance anything in his own image and personality, but to double down and magnify it. This is angry old whites guy on steroids.

As the weeks and months pass, and Hillary's poll lead slips, I can feel an inevitability in the Trump trajectory. He has tapped into a meme in middle American thinking - 'We need someone strong against the Muslims, Russians, Mexicans, bleeding heart liberals - etc etc.' I wouldn't be surprised if these two turned up at the GOP convention packing heat, and the crowd would love it.

Hillary is not going to win by negativising Trump, she needs to say what she is going to do, and "Make America Great Again" is a hard message to beat and already taken.

D.

PS, This post is not about what I want.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
17-07-2016, 01:47 AM
(16-07-2016 11:16 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  Looking at Pence's record on LGBT issues, I do not feel comfortable having this person in office at all. Most LGBT federal anti-discrimination at the moment is kept alive via executive orders, which between Pence and the GOP's platform I'm sure they'll remove right away.

I wasn't considering Trump to begin with; but this makes me more confident that I'm better off voting Clinton than a third party if only to avoid having Trump/Pence in office. Call it giving into the Trump "fear," but given that I really do not always want to be confined to a particular state, I have to prioritize LGBT issues over anything else.

Trump is probably better for the LGBT community than Hillary.

http://www.advocate.com/election/2015/9/...s-mexicans

The Clintons pro LGBT positions are a recent phenomena, they certainly did not have them the last time they occupied the Whitehouse, what makes you think the next time would be any different?
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
17-07-2016, 09:51 AM
(17-07-2016 01:47 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-07-2016 11:16 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  Looking at Pence's record on LGBT issues, I do not feel comfortable having this person in office at all. Most LGBT federal anti-discrimination at the moment is kept alive via executive orders, which between Pence and the GOP's platform I'm sure they'll remove right away.

I wasn't considering Trump to begin with; but this makes me more confident that I'm better off voting Clinton than a third party if only to avoid having Trump/Pence in office. Call it giving into the Trump "fear," but given that I really do not always want to be confined to a particular state, I have to prioritize LGBT issues over anything else.

Trump is probably better for the LGBT community than Hillary.

http://www.advocate.com/election/2015/9/...s-mexicans

The Clintons pro LGBT positions are a recent phenomena, they certainly did not have them the last time they occupied the Whitehouse, what makes you think the next time would be any different?

Because, you know, it's impossible for politicians to change their view on anything. Facepalm

Clinton is the type of person who reads the political landscape and takes the most moderate position of that time. When running for president back in 2008, even civil unions were seen as progressive and she took that stance; now, I'd imagine she wouldn't even attempt to overturn Obergefell as not doing so requires her doing nothing.

That interview you link basically says the Trump of 15 years ago won't fire people because they're gay--nevermind his position on same-sex marriage is contrary to the current policy. Clinton is already in favor of not firing people because they're gay, nor do I see her actively trying to overturn Obergefell as Trump and especially Pence seemed inclined to do. I cannot under any foreseeable see Trump/Pence being better for LGBT rights than Clinton; especially when Clinton's M.O. for being better is literally do nothing but maintain what the Obama Administration had already put into place.
[+] 2 users Like ZoraPrime's post
17-07-2016, 12:45 PM
(17-07-2016 01:47 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Trump is probably better for the LGBT community than Hillary.

Pence sure as shit ain't.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Hi,

As a born again Christian, Pence will be rapture ready for himself, wife and children. When dealing with such as Trump, that is an ace in the hole. Smile

D.
17-07-2016, 03:42 PM
(14-07-2016 07:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Trump has selected Mike Pence as running mate, an ultra-conservative to balance out his own left-leaning tendencies. Rolleyes

1. He signed one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country.
In April, Gov. Pence signed into law a bill that forbids abortion on the basis of fetal chromosomal abnormalities, including Down syndrome, among other factors. The law further bans fetal-tissue donation — requiring any aborted or miscarried fetus to be cremated or buried. And it placed onerous restrictions on abortion providers nearly identical to those that the Supreme Court recently found unconstitutional in Texas.

2. He signed a bill that made it OK for Indiana businesses to discriminate against LGBT customers.
In 2015, Pence signed a "religious freedom" law, whose sweeping language permitted Indiana businesses to refuse to serve LGBT Americans, much like Southern businesses used to discriminate against African-Americans during the days of segregation.

Backlash against the law was swift and intense. Pence was forced to quickly sign a bill amending the legislation, which the governor claimed had been subject to "mischaracterizations."

3. He blocked the resettlement of Syrian refugees in Indiana — and illegally tried to cut off federal aid to existing refugees.
In the wake of the massacre in Paris last fall, Pence issued an executive order to block the resettlement of Syrian war refugees in Indiana. Not content to keep new war widows and orphans out of the state, Pence upped the xenophobic ante by also trying to cut off federal aid to those already in the state. A federal judge blocked Pence's action, writing that the governor's order "clearly constitutes national origin discrimination" and "in no way directly, or even indirectly, promotes the safety of Indiana citizens."

4. He's an unreconstructed drug warrior.
At a time when lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are tackling the nation's drug problems with less focus on incarceration, Pence signed a bill to reinstating a mandatory minimum drug sentence. Many drug users sell drugs on the side to support their addictions. Thanks to Pence, any Indiana resident convicted twice for selling meth or heroin is now sentence to a full decade in prison. Expressing his pleasure at signing a law stripping judges of discretion in drug sentencing, Pence declared, "We need to make it clear that Indiana will not tolerate the actions of criminals."

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/new...t-20160714

Does this help or hurt his chances?

When Trump resigns, he will be the next POTUS.
18-07-2016, 12:44 AM
(17-07-2016 12:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 01:47 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Trump is probably better for the LGBT community than Hillary.

Pence sure as shit ain't.

Pence is just there to try to sway folks like me, who find Trump too stinky that I can't even hold my nose a vote for him, a reason to vote for him because maybe we like the guy on the bottom of the ticket.

I'm not going to vote for Trump or Hilary
18-07-2016, 09:44 PM
(15-07-2016 06:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  I have friends in Indiana (my home state) who will be happy that Pence won't be in the governors race now.

Me too.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
21-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Wow, Mike Pence really knocked it out of the park with his speech at the RNC. That was amazing.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
21-07-2016, 12:50 PM
(21-07-2016 12:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Wow, Mike Pence really knocked it out of the park with his speech at the RNC. That was amazing.

Too bad it was completely upstaged by Ted Cruise and John Kasich. This convention has been the clusterfuck all the top republicans were afraid it was going to be. Total clownshoes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense