Militant atheism ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Militant atheism ?
Hey new here but I've been viewing this forum for a little while now and decided I would join! Anyway just would like some insight to views on militant atheism vs agnostic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2015, 11:58 AM
RE: Militant atheism ?
Welcome to TTA.

My view ... I like both.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
21-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
21-11-2015, 12:09 PM
I dunno.... I consider myself a lapsed atheist.

That's just a regular atheist, but without the dogma.

It's like -- I don't believe in any invisible sky king, and I don't give a fuck, that I don't believe.

I think....

Or not...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Yes, let's arm ourselves and march against something in the name of our non-god!
21-11-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm happy to talk with someone about theism if they have an open mind, but militant implies doing unto others as the theists have done. Does not make it right so no, not a militant.
Seems like you skipped a whole section of us, me, maybe biker above who are athiests. Plain old run of the mill no molotov cockails athiests.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
21-11-2015, 12:23 PM
(21-11-2015 11:38 AM)Fr4nny.pants Wrote:  Hey new here but I've been viewing this forum for a little while now and decided I would join! Anyway just would like some insight to views on militant atheism vs agnostic
I lived among militant atheists. They persecute their heretics.
They make fun of their heretics.
They call names(offend) their heretics.
I was one of them. I see many of them on this forum.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
21-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Okay, basic definition-talk about agnosticism.

There's two different sets of definitions at play and it's the source of much confusion.

One is a spectrum between theism and atheism with agnosticism sitting on the fence between the two extremes. Under this definition, atheists are absolutely sure there is no god. This is usually used by people who identify as theists or agnostics, and I know of few identifying atheists who apply the term to themselves or others in this matter.

The other set of definitions (and what most around here employ) consider atheism/theism versus gnosticism/agnosticism to be separate questions. Atheism is about not believing or not being convinced that a god exists, while being agnostic (contrasted with gnostic) is having some degree of uncertainty in or ability to be persuaded from that position. Most atheists around here are agnostic atheists, though some are gnostic atheists, and we've got a few gnostic theists trolling up the place and generally shitting on the carpet. (And one nice guy who gets a bit too much grief IMO.)

Now as for militant atheism? It's an all-around silly concept. Let's think about this:

Militant Christians are bombing abortion clinics, and were in this past generation engaged in fratricidal terrorist warfare in Ireland and the Balkans.

Militant Muslims are flying airplanes into buildings, bombing subways, and rampaging through crowds of civilians with automatic weaponry.

Militant atheists are generally carrying on snarky on stages and in formal debates and in print and not showing religions the respect that the religious know they deserve.

ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHERS.

Personally, I choose to take a warm feeling away from the double standard. The fact that the religious expect much nicer behavior of us than from themselves is an implicit admission that they understand just how fucked up their "god-given" morality is.
[+] 12 users Like Reltzik's post
21-11-2015, 12:31 PM
(21-11-2015 11:38 AM)Fr4nny.pants Wrote:  Hey new here but I've been viewing this forum for a little while now and decided I would join! Anyway just would like some insight to views on militant atheism vs agnostic

Welcome! Will love to see what responses you receive.

Unsure

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
21-11-2015, 12:38 PM
I prefer militant agnosticism!

[Image: agnostic-militant.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Matt Finney's post