Militant atheism ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2015, 03:44 PM
RE: Militant atheism ?
(21-11-2015 03:18 PM)Fr4nny.pants Wrote:  Okay sorry I should have stated what I meant by militant atheism ! No so much as walking around beating people into it but more towards the not keeping my mouth shut when it comes up I wish more people could do the same. I like to think of myself as "militant atheist" in the sense that if it comes up I talk about it.

Depends who it is. I keep my trap shut nowdays when my parents send me pithy religious emails, as for everyone else

[Image: new-atheists.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
21-11-2015, 03:46 PM
I wish we could see one day an atheist super bowl commercial ! Or even an atheist tv endorsement for A president. Not so much like religious preaching but saying HI WE ARE HERE. Less militant I guess and more of exposure.
[+] 1 user Likes Fr4nny.pants's post
21-11-2015, 03:50 PM
(21-11-2015 11:38 AM)Fr4nny.pants Wrote:  Hey new here but I've been viewing this forum for a little while now and decided I would join! Anyway just would like some insight to views on militant atheism vs agnostic

"Militant" is when you want laws or act out in mob rule to silence dissent. It is not "Militant" to say "fuck you" or "Bullshit" or "Stop being a dick and justifying it with your religion".

Militant is not simply cussing someone you don't agree with out. Militant is when you cant leave it at words.

"Fuck Jesus" is not the same as "Kill all Christians"
"Fuck Allah" is not the same as "Kill all Muslims"
"Fuck atheists" is not the same as "Kill all atheists"

All "fuck you" means is that you are being blunt about their position. I does not have to mean you want to commit genocide.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2015, 04:11 PM
(21-11-2015 03:46 PM)Fr4nny.pants Wrote:  I wish we could see one day an atheist super bowl commercial ! Or even an atheist tv endorsement for A president. Not so much like religious preaching but saying HI WE ARE HERE. Less militant I guess and more of exposure.

Well, there sort of was an atheist superbowl commercial.

But, and this is a big but, it was a re-mashed version of a Scientology commercial. AngryAngryAngryAngry

Damn, that pisses me off. Angry A goddamn Scientology commercial. Facepalm

I've never figured out which one came first.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Hahaha almost had a good commercial !
21-11-2015, 04:30 PM
On my facebook i'm more delicate in my approach. From time to time i'll post a science video, or a satire that to the trained eye will see it's about atheism. I don't blast my firends if they post anything about their God. I see it as harmless. Delusional but harmless. I think the ones that post honestly thinking typing Amen under a corpse on a torture devise will give them "healing" or "blessings" in some way or another. Just like the people that post "I do not give Facebook to use my image..." They have no sense, of the foolishness. It makes them feel good. Fine.

As far as militant agnostic or Atheist go. It depends on who i'm talking to. If I hear people saying they would jump off a cliff if their god told them it makes me worried. If I hear about people misunderstanding or misquoting i'll try to correct them. But If I hear people talking about how the murder, rape, or slaverly of children is fine because God had a plan for them. It out rages me. And the bat comes out.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
21-11-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm not voluble about my atheism, nor do I hide it. I just try to treat folks the way I want to be treated, and that means no preaching.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
21-11-2015, 05:45 PM
(21-11-2015 04:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 03:46 PM)Fr4nny.pants Wrote:  I wish we could see one day an atheist super bowl commercial ! Or even an atheist tv endorsement for A president. Not so much like religious preaching but saying HI WE ARE HERE. Less militant I guess and more of exposure.

Well, there sort of was an atheist superbowl commercial.

But, and this is a big but, it was a re-mashed version of a Scientology commercial. AngryAngryAngryAngry

Damn, that pisses me off. Angry A goddamn Scientology commercial. Facepalm

I've never figured out which one came first.

There's also the Ron Reagan Freedom From Religion Foundation commercial but I guess that didn't get superbowl air but it had plenty of air on some networks. Though I just read it had been bulled by some main channels like nbc/abc. It was on CNN for some time and I know it often ran on Comedy Central around the DailyShow time block.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-11-2015, 06:54 PM
(21-11-2015 02:47 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I am MAM (Militant Atheist Man)

When you get sidekicks, you can calll them MAMmaries.....

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
21-11-2015, 06:56 PM
(21-11-2015 12:26 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Okay, basic definition-talk about agnosticism.

There's two different sets of definitions at play and it's the source of much confusion.

One is a spectrum between theism and atheism with agnosticism sitting on the fence between the two extremes. Under this definition, atheists are absolutely sure there is no god. This is usually used by people who identify as theists or agnostics, and I know of few identifying atheists who apply the term to themselves or others in this matter.

The other set of definitions (and what most around here employ) consider atheism/theism versus gnosticism/agnosticism to be separate questions. Atheism is about not believing or not being convinced that a god exists, while being agnostic (contrasted with gnostic) is having some degree of uncertainty in or ability to be persuaded from that position. Most atheists around here are agnostic atheists, though some are gnostic atheists, and we've got a few gnostic theists trolling up the place and generally shitting on the carpet. (And one nice guy who gets a bit too much grief IMO.)

Now as for militant atheism? It's an all-around silly concept. Let's think about this:

Militant Christians are bombing abortion clinics, and were in this past generation engaged in fratricidal terrorist warfare in Ireland and the Balkans.

Militant Muslims are flying airplanes into buildings, bombing subways, and rampaging through crowds of civilians with automatic weaponry.

Militant atheists are generally carrying on snarky on stages and in formal debates and in print and not showing religions the respect that the religious know they deserve.

ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHERS.

Personally, I choose to take a warm feeling away from the double standard. The fact that the religious expect much nicer behavior of us than from themselves is an implicit admission that they understand just how fucked up their "god-given" morality is.

This post should be stickied or hall-of-famed somewhere.

Kudos to you!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post