Militant atheism ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2015, 10:07 PM
RE: Militant atheism ?
In high school I decided to set up an Apathetic Students Society. No one joined. It was a great success.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deltabravo's post
21-11-2015, 10:21 PM
(21-11-2015 10:07 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  In high school I decided to set up an Apathetic Students Society. No one joined. It was a great success.

My high school had an Apathy Club that promoted a nonexistent student for Student Council president. There was also a subsidiary group called the Cynic Clinic. Our mascot was the Biology lab iguana.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
21-11-2015, 10:35 PM
(21-11-2015 12:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 11:38 AM)Fr4nny.pants Wrote:  Hey new here but I've been viewing this forum for a little while now and decided I would join! Anyway just would like some insight to views on militant atheism vs agnostic
I lived among militant atheists. They persecute their heretics.
They make fun of their heretics.
They call names(offend) their heretics.
I was one of them. I see many of them on this forum.

You're a damn liar. You were never an atheist. You were always a deluded Moron.
No one persecutes anyone, liar. When you people "share" you faith, it's called evangelization. When atheist form a forum, and it's FREELY invaded by idiot believers, they claim "persecution". Feel free Alla to get the fuck outta here, and you won't be "persecuted", you fool poe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-11-2015, 11:50 PM
(21-11-2015 12:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  I lived among militant atheists. They persecute their heretics.
A militant atheist is a person who would pick up a gun or an axe or something and go on a killing spree in the name of the no god.

But people don't do that. Atheists don't do anything in the name of the no god.

There is no such thing as a militant atheist.

There are many people that go around calling "different" people names, making fun of their ideas. Lot's of children do this, it's a form of bullying or trying to shame people into following "norms" or perhaps it makes the bully feel better about themselves (by putting others down). Most kids eventually grow out of name calling, but some people don't grow out of it. These people are bullies but not militant atheists. In fact it has nothing to do with their "atheism" and more to do with their personalities. If they were theist, they would be just the same.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
22-11-2015, 01:47 PM
(21-11-2015 11:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 12:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  I lived among militant atheists. They persecute their heretics.
A militant atheist is a person who would pick up a gun or an axe or something and go on a killing spree in the name of the no god.

But people don't do that. Atheists don't do anything in the name of the no god.

There is no such thing as a militant atheist.

There are many people that go around calling "different" people names, making fun of their ideas. Lot's of children do this, it's a form of bullying or trying to shame people into following "norms" or perhaps it makes the bully feel better about themselves (by putting others down). Most kids eventually grow out of name calling, but some people don't grow out of it. These people are bullies but not militant atheists. In fact it has nothing to do with their "atheism" and more to do with their personalities. If they were theist, they would be just the same.

Bucky? Gasp
22-11-2015, 02:26 PM
(22-11-2015 01:47 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Bucky? Gasp
I'm not pointing out anyone in particular.
If you think the shoe fits on someone then that is your assessment.

But regardless, my main point was that I doubt we have any militant Atheists on this forum. I am not even sure if any exist in the history of the world.
22-11-2015, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2015 05:21 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(22-11-2015 02:26 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 01:47 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Bucky? Gasp
I'm not pointing out anyone in particular.
If you think the shoe fits on someone then that is your assessment.

But regardless, my main point was that I doubt we have any militant Atheists on this forum. I am not even sure if any exist in the history of the world.

"Militant" can also be used to mean hardliner, not necessarily a violent extremist, but still aggressively confrontational and intransigent in their views. In that sense, militant atheists certainly exist and they exist on this forum as well.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
23-11-2015, 08:24 AM
(21-11-2015 11:38 AM)Fr4nny.pants Wrote:  Hey new here but I've been viewing this forum for a little while now and decided I would join! Anyway just would like some insight to views on militant atheism vs agnostic

Welcome!

These seem like an odd two things to compare. There are more things someone can be without believing in any gods. For example: one could be atheist without being "militant". One could be an apatheist or a full-out anti-theist (maybe that last one is what you mean by "militant" atheist).

If you're asking about my views, I identify as an agnostic atheist.
23-11-2015, 09:44 AM
(21-11-2015 03:46 PM)Fr4nny.pants Wrote:  I wish we could see one day an atheist super bowl commercial ! Or even an atheist tv endorsement for A president. Not so much like religious preaching but saying HI WE ARE HERE. Less militant I guess and more of exposure.

Check out Zolton the Transhumanist candidate for president of the USA.
23-11-2015, 12:38 PM
(22-11-2015 05:16 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  "Militant" can also be used to mean hardliner, not necessarily a violent extremist, but still aggressively confrontational and intransigent in their views. In that sense, militant atheists certainly exist and they exist on this forum as well.
Is there such a term as a militant theist?

I would call a hardliner atheist a staunch atheist, I would call a hardline theist an evangelist or perhaps a devout theist.

If they are in your face i'd call them confrontational. i.e. Confrontational atheist or a confrontational theist.

I wouldn't use the term militant or "new" atheist.