Military Chaplains

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 10:37 PM
RE: Military Chaplains
(24-06-2014 10:04 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Should the U.S. military (or any other government agency) employ chaplains on the government payroll?
Or, should they be provided by the religious organizations at their own expense?

That's a very good question. I'll have to give that some thought.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2014, 05:32 PM
One important point to note is that by having chaplains under military payroll they are then under military hierarchy which means they can be ordered around. This helps prevent them getting in the way of military matters.

Also in terms of paying for their training, would you rather a bunch of civilians running around a military base.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
27-06-2014, 05:59 PM
(27-06-2014 05:32 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  One important point to note is that by having chaplains under military payroll they are then under military hierarchy which means they can be ordered around. This helps prevent them getting in the way of military matters.

Also in terms of paying for their training, would you rather a bunch of civilians running around a military base.

Are you saying that whenever civilians have business on a military base they are allowed to run around willy-nilly, and do not have to follow the rules of the base or the bases command?
I've worked on a military base (Ft. Irwin) as a civilian and I can assure you this is not the case.
27-06-2014, 06:58 PM
(27-06-2014 05:59 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(27-06-2014 05:32 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  One important point to note is that by having chaplains under military payroll they are then under military hierarchy which means they can be ordered around. This helps prevent them getting in the way of military matters.

Are you saying that whenever civilians have business on a military base they are allowed to run around willy-nilly, and do not have to follow the rules of the base or the bases command?
I've worked on a military base (Ft. Irwin) as a civilian and I can assure you this is not the case.

I guess you're right in terms of the military base, However as far as I know civilians do not go out in the field unless under military command, hence why the medical corp is under military command and not civilian command. They know how to react in case things go FUBAR. Priests tend to have a habit of running through the middle of combat administering last rights. It would probably be better if the had some training.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
27-06-2014, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2014 07:18 PM by pablo.)
(27-06-2014 06:58 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(27-06-2014 05:59 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Are you saying that whenever civilians have business on a military base they are allowed to run around willy-nilly, and do not have to follow the rules of the base or the bases command?

I guess you're right in terms of the military base, However as far as I know civilians do not go out in the field unless under military command, hence why the medical corp is under military command and not civilian command. They know how to react in case things go FUBAR. Priests tend to have a habit of running through the middle of combat administering last rights. It would probably be better if the had some training.

Civilian reporters and photographers do it. There's the U.S.O. too. Following the rules of the military while you're in their domain does not necessarily mean you have to be in their employ. If a civilian opts to go into war zones it would be in their best interests to do as they're told to avoid getting dead.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
27-06-2014, 07:19 PM
(27-06-2014 06:58 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(27-06-2014 05:59 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Are you saying that whenever civilians have business on a military base they are allowed to run around willy-nilly, and do not have to follow the rules of the base or the bases command?

Priests tend to have a habit of running through the middle of combat administering last rights. It would probably be better if the had some training.

Never heard that before.
Hear I would have guessed that patrol commanders would want as few civies with them as possible.

Different places, different systems, I guess.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-06-2014, 08:53 PM

Um, moron, there are civilians running all over every US military base in existence.

Jeebusfuckingcrisisonastick... Facepalm

(27-06-2014 06:58 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Priests tend to have a habit of running through the middle of combat administering last rights.

Whatthefuck kind of KKKatholiKKK doesn't know the difference between RIGHTS and RITES?????

Facepalm

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop