Military indoctrination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2017, 05:40 PM
RE: Military indoctrination
(19-10-2017 05:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 05:18 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Yeah, if you wouldn't say it in front of the people you are talking about why would you say it? Complete lack of respect for the active duty and veterans here now. But, like I said, we see this all the time.

That is exactly why. Because there will be people taking offense at the questions. And you are the only person here so far who didn't get that there was no disrespect involved. Most people here know me better than that. Which is why I posted here. Which is why I am thoroughly pissed that you took it upon yourself to upset a bunch of veterans, using something I said.

Ya'll keep letting him get away with stuff others couldn't.

Telling people to kill themselves...black their grandmother's eye in the PI&S (supposedly protected area)...and this.

The forum team has the authority to do something. The rest of us are at his mercy and the team's discretion.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-10-2017, 05:42 PM
(19-10-2017 05:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 05:37 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That whole post was disrespectful. You have no clue, do you?

BTW, at least two lurkers copied it as well. You would have never known that if I hadn't told you.

Of course I don't have a clue, that's why I am asking. You are doing much to remedy these things, aren't you. Ok, I am done with you in this thread, you piss me off and that is hard to do.
You didn't piss me off, you are just one more of the same old same old.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-10-2017, 05:43 PM
(19-10-2017 05:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 05:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  That is exactly why. Because there will be people taking offense at the questions. And you are the only person here so far who didn't get that there was no disrespect involved. Most people here know me better than that. Which is why I posted here. Which is why I am thoroughly pissed that you took it upon yourself to upset a bunch of veterans, using something I said.

Ya'll keep letting him get away with stuff others couldn't.

Telling people to kill themselves...black their grandmother's eye in the PI&S (supposedly protected area)...and this.

The forum team has the authority to do something. The rest of us are at his mercy and the team's discretion.
Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.
19-10-2017, 07:19 PM
(19-10-2017 05:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 05:04 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Evolved by what standard? We're always constantly evolving. We have no choice. Regardless of how we as individuals feel about the state of the world, evolution has the last word. A more practical question than the cliche "why haven't we evolved" is "what evolutionary advantage has a cultural tendency to engage in slaughter provided that evolution has dictated we maintain that cultural trait since the dawn of civilization?".

OK. Better wording, and what I am getting at.

I am trying to look at this whole thing from a societal aspect. Social evolution. And my thoughts get pretty muddled there. Because you would think that cooperation between countries would be preferable to war to most people. Yet we are centuries and centuries into this and war continues to proliferate.

At an individual level, and for the average person, it would certainly seem that way.

And contrary to what the relatively new concept of televised war broadcast real time might lead one to believe, it is actually on the decline. A combination of nuclear proliferation giving superpowers incentive not to engage each other directly plus technology and globalization making small scale tactical engagements the norm in place of the generations old standard of two front lines engaging in massive slaughter (debatable, obviously, but that's my abbreviated take on it), things are changing.

[Image: V-yzCLUjrUCE0DZn1mmIyXzGTUse33W1wX-SkW7B...Z3gvzoVA3A]

I don't believe it will be human rationality that causes war to cease. It will be technology leading to the obsoletion of what we generally define as war and the implementation of things like hypersonic, automated drones used to enforce international law with speed and precision. But that's a whole different nerd debate.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
19-10-2017, 07:23 PM
(19-10-2017 05:37 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That whole post was disrespectful.
If you found it desrespectful, then why did you propogate it on the internet?

I mean, do you go to a neo-nazi convetion, take notes and then rush over to black neighborhood and post the neo-nazi conversation all over their neighborhood?

Dom isn't a neo-nazi, and isn't anti military personal. But still, if you thought the military people would get offended at something Dom posted, why did you take it upon yourself to spread this post over to them?

Wouldn't a more caring and conversational approach be to discuss directly with Dom yourself if there is something you personally took offense at?
Perhaps, explain to Dom why you thought it could be read in a negative light?

WTF where you thinking!

Really, there ought to be a forum rule about copy/pasting stuff people say here without the author's permission. Especially if you are going to use it to put down the author or perhaps fuel a flame war.
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post
19-10-2017, 08:17 PM
(19-10-2017 05:42 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You didn't piss me off, you are just one more of the same old same old.

Is that the pot talking, or the kettle?

Dude, some people find the act of killing other people disrespectful, and abhor the entire nature of the business. As most decent people should. The OP illustrates this as an outside observer and simply inquired about opinions on the matter.

Your action of taking her words and using them for your own amusement by posting them in other forums where the response would be exactly as you expected them to be is disrespectful.

I like TTA because it feels like a community where we can share thoughts and discuss them, and if you feel disrespected the least you could do is offer your own opinion and discussion first. That's what we should be here for.

Bad form.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
19-10-2017, 08:34 PM
(19-10-2017 04:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  I didn't say that I knew anything about being in the military.

My first husband had fought in Vietnam in the army and didn't ever want to talk about it.

My second was there too, but Air Force, and stayed until retirement. He never wanted to talk about it either.

Vietnam was a fucked war. it wasn't their military service exactly it was the war that was fucked up.

My father never talked about it either. Of course none of them did, lest someone else call him a baby burner. Men were shamed (some just for the fact they survived) when they returned, and just wanted to return to their lives and forget that shit ever happened.

It's only been in the last decade or so that Vietnam vets began communicating with each other and talking about what they saw. Many continue to suffer in silence.

But...thinking back, my grandfather rarely spoke about his experiences in WW2 either.

Maybe there's just some truth to the phrase. War is hell.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-10-2017, 08:41 PM
(19-10-2017 07:23 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 05:37 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That whole post was disrespectful.
If you found it desrespectful, then why did you propogate it on the internet?

I mean, do you go to a neo-nazi convetion, take notes and then rush over to black neighborhood and post the neo-nazi conversation all over their neighborhood?

Dom isn't a neo-nazi, and isn't anti military personal. But still, if you thought the military people would get offended at something Dom posted, why did you take it upon yourself to spread this post over to them?

Wouldn't a more caring and conversational approach be to discuss directly with Dom yourself if there is something you personally took offense at?
Perhaps, explain to Dom why you thought it could be read in a negative light?

WTF where you thinking!

Really, there ought to be a forum rule about copy/pasting stuff people say here without the author's permission. Especially if you are going to use it to put down the author or perhaps fuel a flame war.
Try reading my post.
19-10-2017, 08:42 PM
(19-10-2017 08:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 04:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  I didn't say that I knew anything about being in the military.

My first husband had fought in Vietnam in the army and didn't ever want to talk about it.

My second was there too, but Air Force, and stayed until retirement. He never wanted to talk about it either.

Vietnam was a fucked war. it wasn't their military service exactly it was the war that was fucked up.

My father never talked about it either. Of course none of them did, lest someone else call him a baby burner. Men were shamed (some just for the fact they survived) when they returned, and just wanted to return to their lives and forget that shit ever happened.

It's only been in the last decade or so that Vietnam vets began communicating with each other and talking about what they saw. Many continue to suffer in silence.

But...thinking back, my grandfather rarely spoke about his experiences in WW2 either.

Maybe there's just some truth to the phrase. War is hell.

It's probably apocryphal but may contain grains of truth- I've always heard that those that were really in shit-hitting-the-fan combat don't talk about it or at least don't talk about it for a long long time, while those that were in a warzone but saw no combat, well, they've got blood and guts war stories aplenty.

19-10-2017, 08:42 PM
(19-10-2017 08:17 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 05:42 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You didn't piss me off, you are just one more of the same old same old.

Is that the pot talking, or the kettle?

Dude, some people find the act of killing other people disrespectful, and abhor the entire nature of the business. As most decent people should. The OP illustrates this as an outside observer and simply inquired about opinions on the matter.

Your action of taking her words and using them for your own amusement by posting them in other forums where the response would be exactly as you expected them to be is disrespectful.

I like TTA because it feels like a community where we can share thoughts and discuss them, and if you feel disrespected the least you could do is offer your own opinion and discussion first. That's what we should be here for.

Bad form.
Sorry if you find it disrespectful, we find it just the same old shit. And as it was anonymous, no indication of poster or forum she doesn't have to be embarrassed, justified though that be.