Military

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Military
So, just out of curiosity, how do you feel about the military? My friend is under the impression that all liberals hate the military, and I figure a majority of atheists are some shade of liberal (I am a lighter shade myself).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2012, 12:40 AM
RE: Military
I am a Libertarian. Served in the army 4 years, 2 deployments. I love the military, the people in it, the discipline it instills, the brotherhood it creates, the chance it gives people who have failed at civilian life to show their true character. However, I hate how the United States utilizes the military, deploying it against undeserving countries, trying to create peace by sending trained killers into hostile territories.

The only liberals that would hate the military are civilians. Because in the military, you have no political party, because you are all brothers, commanded by the president, regardless of what letter is next to his name. And frankly, I could give a fuck what some civilian thinks about something he knows nothing about. Liberal or conservative.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
01-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Well put Buddy, by the way, I am going to the Naval Academy Prep School not to long from now, so I will disappear for an unknown amount of time again. Possibly very intermittent for the next five years while I go to school.
01-07-2012, 12:45 PM
(30-06-2012 09:30 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  So, just out of curiosity, how do you feel about the military? My friend is under the impression that all liberals hate the military, and I figure a majority of atheists are some shade of liberal (I am a lighter shade myself).
The fact your friend is under the impression that liberals hate the military probably has more to do with the media spin cycle.

While not a "liberal" by today's definition, I am very liberal (or libertarian) on social issues and I love our military. Not the blind love that a catholic might have for his or her church. I spent 9+ years in the Army and I've been a DoD civilian ever since - I think I have perspective and cred.

Evangelicals have been successful in injecting their message in the officer corps. The majority of military officers are right wing Christians, but it's not an outlandish majority. The majority of the enlisted corps continues to be slightly more left wing - that might have to do with the disparate numbers in the enlisted corps that are African American and Latinos that traditionally affiliate more with democrats.

I'll quibble with Buddy Christ on his point to an extent - the military should always strive for neutrality, but as the nation continues to act partisan on every stinking issue, politics and leanings are more overtly apparent and presented openly In The military ranks. This isn't necessarily bad, as long as opinions are respected and not influenced by rank...

It's an absolute mistruth that the military fares worse under democratic administrations than Republican administrations. The military enjoyed higher pay raises and benefits in the eight years under Clinton than under Bush.

Part of that has to do with this perception that liberals are soft on national security and would love to cut the military, therefore democrat presidents have to bend over backwards to "appease" that perception by throwing never ending dollars to the military, lest a Republican challenger say that they will stop the cutting of the military (cough, cough, Romney..sound familiar?)

We spend more on defense than any nation in the world. Total the next 24 nations behind us and collectively we still spend more - and the majority Of these countries are allies. The dirty little truth is that our defense budget is primarily driven by our defense contracts. It is indeed thr military industrial complex Eisenhower (a conservative by the way) warned about. When you get down to it, half the defense budget is basically a stimulus package, combined with white collar welfare. It could be cut significantly, but it would never be cut appropriately...

By the way - best of luck to at the Academy prep! We live close to the Academy, Annapolis is a navy town Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
04-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Thank you for the insight, I am so excited to get to the east coast. I live in Washington right now, but I am in the less populated (red) areas. Public transit sucks, there isn't a store in five miles, and life is paced waaaaay to slow here.
06-07-2012, 01:26 AM
I respect anyone who is in or served in the military my nephew is going into the Marines next year, But I do feel the United States needs to cut out this hard on we seem to have with blowing up "terrorist" especially with our drones. I mean we kill innocent civilians in these strikes just to get one supposed militant then any male who is of militant age we just add to the count and label them "militants". And whats even better we strike the funerals of these men where their families are more innocent people dead, all just to protect America.

I personally think we need to cut our military funding in half and bring our troops home.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  America and military criticism BrokenQuill92 0 142 16-01-2014 07:30 PM
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  The new pope, the CIA and the military junta. I and I 4 360 17-03-2013 11:53 AM
Last Post: I and I
  U.S. military and it's past interventions. I and I 48 1,714 10-12-2012 06:39 PM
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  What to do with our military? Diablo666 48 1,275 14-11-2012 10:56 AM
Last Post: TheBlackKnight
  "Hero" Woship (Opinions of the military servicemen) Dark Light 94 3,374 10-10-2012 09:56 PM
Last Post: Dark Light
  A petition to end military discrimination against the non-religious Phaedrus 12 1,033 21-09-2012 12:26 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  The American military as a system of goverment Buddy Christ 31 1,057 28-08-2012 11:23 AM
Last Post: tnt4philly