Millions of Bees Dead in SC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Millions of Bees Dead in SC
This just breaks my heart. So many bees dead. There has to be a better way.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/‘like-i...li=BBnb7Kz

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
01-09-2016, 04:23 PM
RE: Millions of Bees Dead in SC
I have had it out with the county here - I forbid them to spray anything on my property. They routinely spray for mosquitos around here. Luckily I have enough land so it doesn't drift in and kill the eco system I have worked to establish for decades so I can grow organically without any use of any poison.

I got bugs, bugs who eat the other bugs, birds who eat bugs, waterfowl, turtles, water snakes, frogs and catfish who kill any mosquito larvae, herons who control the pond population and so on. I have many different kinds of pollinating bees and wasps, as well as predatory wasps keeping the trees free of bugs. It all works together very well. Not going to let anyone come in here and kill everything and ruin my work. I enjoy watching them all at work, and busy they are. They don't hurt me and I don't hurt them. Case closed.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 15 users Like Dom's post
01-09-2016, 04:30 PM
This is bad news. Frogs are dying too. These creatures are vital to the food chain.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
01-09-2016, 04:38 PM
It's terrible and very sad indeed.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
01-09-2016, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2016 09:06 PM by Fireball.)
(01-09-2016 04:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have had it out with the county here - I forbid them to spray anything on my property. They routinely spray for mosquitos around here. Luckily I have enough land so it doesn't drift in and kill the eco system I have worked to establish for decades so I can grow organically without any use of any poison.

I got bugs, bugs who eat the other bugs, birds who eat bugs, waterfowl, turtles, water snakes, frogs and catfish who kill any mosquito larvae, herons who control the pond population and so on. I have many different kinds of pollinating bees and wasps, as well as predatory wasps keeping the trees free of bugs. It all works together very well. Not going to let anyone come in here and kill everything and ruin my work. I enjoy watching them all at work, and busy they are. They don't hurt me and I don't hurt them. Case closed.

We have lizards in our front and back yards. They are all over the place! We use no poisons. Lizards eat all kinds of bugs, and have been credited with reducing the prevalence of Lime disease, due to eating those bugs.

BoT: The use of corn syrup to feed honey bees has been blamed for making the bees bigger and more susceptible to disease. Not sure of the truth of that.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
01-09-2016, 09:07 PM
(01-09-2016 09:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  We have lizards in our front and back yards. They are all over the place! We use no poisons. Lizards eat all kinds of bugs, and have been credited with reducing the prevalence of Lime disease, due to eating those bugs.

This is why I never kill spiders.I relocate them to the best bug ambush positions.

#sigh
02-09-2016, 05:36 AM
Wait till they move into your house......

You lose sympathy.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-09-2016, 07:18 AM
(01-09-2016 09:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 04:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have had it out with the county here - I forbid them to spray anything on my property. They routinely spray for mosquitos around here. Luckily I have enough land so it doesn't drift in and kill the eco system I have worked to establish for decades so I can grow organically without any use of any poison.

We have lizards in our front and back yards. They are all over the place! We use no poisons. Lizards eat all kinds of bugs, and have been credited with reducing the prevalence of Lime disease, due to eating those bugs.

BoT: The use of corn syrup to feed honey bees has been blamed for making the bees bigger and more susceptible to disease. Not sure of the truth of that.

Oh yes. I have lizards too, in the garden. I have some small boulders in the flower garden and the lizards love to sit on them and sun themselves.

I also have peafowl, and wild turkeys show up in the spring and clear the surrounding area of ticks.

There are also coons and skunks and possums. Possums are supposed the be the most effective tick defense. They attract ticks, and then they pick them off and eat them. They can put away hundreds per day in infested areas.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-09-2016, 07:52 AM
I have faith that advances in genetic engineering and cloning technology will save the world. By the time my kids are my age they'll just be able to load a stem cell cartridge into their 3d bio printer, select bee, and print a few million copies.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
02-09-2016, 08:13 AM
(02-09-2016 07:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  Oh yes. I have lizards too, in the garden. I have some small boulders in the flower garden and the lizards love to sit on them and sun themselves.

I also have peafowl, and wild turkeys show up in the spring and clear the surrounding area of ticks.

There are also coons and skunks and possums. Possums are supposed the be the most effective tick defense. They attract ticks, and then they pick them off and eat them. They can put away hundreds per day in infested areas.

That's really interesting. Unfortunately we don't have opossums in Europe. We went swimming in a lake in Germany last week while on holiday. My husband went in first and I sat down on a towel in the shade. Within a minute I found a deer tick walking up my leg. They're difficult to kill but I think I eventually smudged it enough against an exposed tree root to kill it.

I did read that bringing back wolves would be a good way of getting rid of ticks because they'll hunt the deer which carry them. My husband caught Lyme's disease from our garden while working out there. We often get deer walking into the garden.