Millions of Bees Dead in SC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2016, 08:25 AM
RE: Millions of Bees Dead in SC
(02-09-2016 08:13 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 07:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  Oh yes. I have lizards too, in the garden. I have some small boulders in the flower garden and the lizards love to sit on them and sun themselves.

I also have peafowl, and wild turkeys show up in the spring and clear the surrounding area of ticks.

There are also coons and skunks and possums. Possums are supposed the be the most effective tick defense. They attract ticks, and then they pick them off and eat them. They can put away hundreds per day in infested areas.

That's really interesting. Unfortunately we don't have opossums in Europe. We went swimming in a lake in Germany last week while on holiday. My husband went in first and I sat down on a towel in the shade. Within a minute I found a deer tick walking up my leg. They're difficult to kill but I think I eventually smudged it enough against an exposed tree root to kill it.

I did read that bringing back wolves would be a good way of getting rid of ticks because they'll hunt the deer which carry them. My husband caught Lyme's disease from our garden while working out there. We often get deer walking into the garden.

Chickens will get rid of them too...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2016, 08:29 AM
(02-09-2016 08:13 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 07:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  Oh yes. I have lizards too, in the garden. I have some small boulders in the flower garden and the lizards love to sit on them and sun themselves.

I also have peafowl, and wild turkeys show up in the spring and clear the surrounding area of ticks.

There are also coons and skunks and possums. Possums are supposed the be the most effective tick defense. They attract ticks, and then they pick them off and eat them. They can put away hundreds per day in infested areas.

That's really interesting. Unfortunately we don't have opossums in Europe. We went swimming in a lake in Germany last week while on holiday. My husband went in first and I sat down on a towel in the shade. Within a minute I found a deer tick walking up my leg. They're difficult to kill but I think I eventually smudged it enough against an exposed tree root to kill it.

I did read that bringing back wolves would be a good way of getting rid of ticks because they'll hunt the deer which carry them. My husband caught Lyme's disease from our garden while working out there. We often get deer walking into the garden.

They don't need the deer. They'll hitch any ride.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-09-2016, 09:03 AM
(01-09-2016 04:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have had it out with the county here - I forbid them to spray anything on my property. They routinely spray for mosquitos around here. Luckily I have enough land so it doesn't drift in and kill the eco system I have worked to establish for decades so I can grow organically without any use of any poison.

I got bugs, bugs who eat the other bugs, birds who eat bugs, waterfowl, turtles, water snakes, frogs and catfish who kill any mosquito larvae, herons who control the pond population and so on. I have many different kinds of pollinating bees and wasps, as well as predatory wasps keeping the trees free of bugs. It all works together very well. Not going to let anyone come in here and kill everything and ruin my work. I enjoy watching them all at work, and busy they are. They don't hurt me and I don't hurt them. Case closed.

Yeah but you could be turning so much more PROFIT if you just carpet-bombed all that fucking NATURE.
02-09-2016, 12:07 PM
(01-09-2016 09:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  BoT: The use of corn syrup to feed honey bees has been blamed for making the bees bigger and more susceptible to disease. Not sure of the truth of that.

I was just watching a documentary on that. The practice has been for decades to harvest the honey and replace it with corn sugar for the bees to consume during the cooler winter months.

One beekeeper stopped doing that during that and found the bees actually produced enough honey, so that he could take half and they had more than enough to survive the winter. He said the result was higher prices for his honey, but it was higher quality and the bees had a much higher survival rate. Also he now has even more bees than before.

Some keepers in the same area have had bees just leave or die.

The bee problem has gotten so bad now they have truck bees to pollinate.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-09-2016, 12:32 PM
(02-09-2016 12:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 09:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  BoT: The use of corn syrup to feed honey bees has been blamed for making the bees bigger and more susceptible to disease. Not sure of the truth of that.

I was just watching a documentary on that. The practice has been for decades to harvest the honey and replace it with corn sugar for the bees to consume during the cooler winter months.

One beekeeper stopped doing that during that and found the bees actually produced enough honey, so that he could take half and they had more than enough to survive the winter. He said the result was higher prices for his honey, but it was higher quality and the bees had a much higher survival rate. Also he now has even more bees than before.

Some keepers in the same area have had bees just leave or die.

The bee problem has gotten so bad now they have truck bees to pollinate.

They've been trucking them around for over 30 years, that I've seen.....

I remember I came home from work on the motorcycle once -- and as I crested the hill on the road, that's just before my driveway -- I started getting pelted by bees..... I looked in the field and there was a whole bunch of hives...

My dad had given a trucker permission to set them out in my field - while they were waiting out a hurricane down south.......

I had bees stuck all over the engine of my bike....

Ever smelled burning bee??

It SOUNDS good - but it isn't....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-09-2016, 02:12 PM
(02-09-2016 09:03 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 04:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have had it out with the county here - I forbid them to spray anything on my property. They routinely spray for mosquitos around here. Luckily I have enough land so it doesn't drift in and kill the eco system I have worked to establish for decades so I can grow organically without any use of any poison.

I got bugs, bugs who eat the other bugs, birds who eat bugs, waterfowl, turtles, water snakes, frogs and catfish who kill any mosquito larvae, herons who control the pond population and so on. I have many different kinds of pollinating bees and wasps, as well as predatory wasps keeping the trees free of bugs. It all works together very well. Not going to let anyone come in here and kill everything and ruin my work. I enjoy watching them all at work, and busy they are. They don't hurt me and I don't hurt them. Case closed.

Yeah but you could be turning so much more PROFIT if you just carpet-bombed all that fucking NATURE.

I've been crazy about nature for as long as I can remember. The way it all works together...evolution is fucking great. The diversity and symbiosis still blows my mind all the time. I feel truly sorry for all the people that never get to experience it even now, and I am damn glad I was born when I was. I doubt that future generations will get to experience it fully like I was and am able to.

02-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Bees dying off is actually a huge general problem - a problem which fits neatly into the trend of humankind sawing off the branch it is sitting on...

[+] 2 users Like Gaest's post
02-09-2016, 07:35 PM
(01-09-2016 03:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  This just breaks my heart. So many bees dead. There has to be a better way.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/‘like-i...li=BBnb7Kz

This is from earlier, right here, in KC.

Truck Crashes ~ Bees WIN! Tongue

Hopefully they all find new homes! Shy

02-09-2016, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2016 11:14 PM by skyking.)
In California, the researchers believe that lack of diversity has made bees vulnerable to parasites and other issues.
At one time, the bees would have several different crops in range of the hive. Now there are vast areas of nut trees, for example, that provide poor nutrition. The hives are needed, but they do not thrive in certain crop areas. The old days of smaller farms were far better for the bees.
EDIT: I watched the video, it mentioned this as "crop monoculture" Smile
02-09-2016, 11:21 PM
(01-09-2016 04:30 PM)Banjo Wrote:  This is bad news. Frogs are dying too. These creatures are vital to the food chain.

The dying bees are a more immediate danger to us, for reasons already well-covered in this thread, but I am more concerned with the amphibians.

Ecologists consider them to be a sort of "canary in the coal mine" (along with certain filter-feeding mollusks) for environmental poisons, as amphibians absorb through their skin and are thus quickly susceptible to the things that build up in our systems and cause long-term health problems.

I continue to get the horrible feeling that Rachel Carson was a prophet. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post