Millions of Bees Dead in SC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 07:15 AM
RE: Millions of Bees Dead in SC
(02-09-2016 11:21 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 04:30 PM)Banjo Wrote:  This is bad news. Frogs are dying too. These creatures are vital to the food chain.

The dying bees are a more immediate danger to us, for reasons already well-covered in this thread, but I am more concerned with the amphibians.

Ecologists consider them to be a sort of "canary in the coal mine" (along with certain filter-feeding mollusks) for environmental poisons, as amphibians absorb through their skin and are thus quickly susceptible to the things that build up in our systems and cause long-term health problems.

I continue to get the horrible feeling that Rachel Carson was a prophet. Sad

We're having a resurgence of frogs (and toads) here in SW Michigan....

I have to take potshots at the sandhill cranes that come to my pond each morning (with a pellet rifle) to keep them from eating the frogs......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2016, 07:39 AM
RE: Millions of Bees Dead in SC
(02-09-2016 11:08 PM)skyking Wrote:  In California, the researchers believe that lack of diversity has made bees vulnerable to parasites and other issues.
At one time, the bees would have several different crops in range of the hive. Now there are vast areas of nut trees, for example, that provide poor nutrition. The hives are needed, but they do not thrive in certain crop areas. The old days of smaller farms were far better for the bees.
EDIT: I watched the video, it mentioned this as "crop monoculture" Smile

Variety of bees - exactly. Humans have only paid attention to the honey bee - because the can pollinate as well as yield honey for us.

As far as pollinators go - there are many varieties. I have been avidly watching them on my property, where they have a huge diversity of trees (many fruit), flowers, veggies and wild plants (some people call weeds Tongue).

Pollinators are various species of hummingbirds, bats, bees, beetles, butterflies, and flies. There are more than 3,500 species of native bees alone.

The honeybee and the Monarch butterfly have been getting most of the publicity - but the other varieties of bees have been killed on purpose by humans everywhere because of ignorance. Somehow people consider them enemies because they can sting. The only bee-looking one that inflicts a lot of bites is the yellow jacket wasp - and it doesn't even want to either, it is just very feisty and gets in the way. I have allowed them to live at my place also, because they are predators and do eat the grubs of insects that can cause considerable damage to trees, such as tent caterpillars - something we get around here periodically and it's a really bad thing. I got bitten twice in 20 years - and those times I inadvertently squished a Yellow Jacket. Meanwhile, all my trees were affected by tent caterpillars one year, and the yellow jackets killed them off in short order. Many people lost all their trees - I lost none.

In spring, when I have trees in bloom, I stand under them and the noise made by little wings is amazingly loud. Like a freight train. No wonder I grow delicious produce, I have tons of helpers who work for free and require no interference or attention.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply