Millions of baby spiders rain down in New South Wales, Australia.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Millions of baby spiders rain down in New South Wales, Australia.
Just from reading the title of this post you can tell this is going to be a whole pot of nope. Luckily they were just baby spiders and none of any harmful species but none the less people in the town of Goulburn had to wake up to raining arachnids. Probably not a forecast the local weatherman anticipated. While this may seem like something out of a low budget horror movie or harry potter film, it's not magic and has a very cool but simple explanation. Spiders migrate, scary I know right? They do so by creating a parachute out of silk threads and ride the wind. The term for this is called Ballooning. Spiders have been seen as high as 16,000 ft while ballooning.

[Image: angel-hair.jpg?itok=wHsuupVT]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
18-05-2015, 06:57 AM
RE: Millions of baby spiders rain down in New South Wales, Australia.
[Image: Koala-meme-kill-it-with-fire-22.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-05-2015, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2015 07:10 AM by Hafnof.)
Guys,

This happened in Australia. Goulburn[1].

It's no big deal.

If you've ever experienced the wonder of watching individual snowflakes fall from the sky you'll understand how an average Australian feels when spiders drift down on silken thread. That picture above is the closest many of us will get to a blanket of fresh snow.

Last time I saw this I was staying at a vineyard. The whole place was blanketed in sparkling dewdrops. This isn't a source of horror. We only have a couple of dangerous spider species in Australia and neither of them spread this way. This is a scene of beauty, calm, and relaxation.

Just read the quotes here:
“Anyone else experiencing this “Angel Hair” or maybe aka millions of spiders falling from the sky right now? I’m 10 minutes out of town and you can clearly see hundreds of little spiders floating along with their webs and my home is covered in them. Someone call a scientist!,”

“If anyone else saw it I would love to know where exactly they were when they saw it, how long it lasted for and what were the weather conditions at the time,”

“What happens is that during a particular time of the year, particularly in May and August, young spiders in the Outback somewhere throw these threads of spiderwebs up in the air and use them as a parachute to detach themselves from the ground and move in large colonies through the sky,” Mr Basterfield explained.

“They fly through the sky and then we see these falls of spider webs that look almost as if it’s snowing.

“We see these vast areas of baby spiders, all coming down at once in the late morning or early afternoon.

“You can know this has happened by either seeing it or spotting what looks like long threads of cotton telegraph poles, power lines and houses.

“It tends to happen a couple of times per year, usually on clear days with slight winds.

I was on the Bureau of Meteorology last week and watching the weather for Goulburn and the conditions were just right.”

[1] http://www.goulburnpost.com.au/story/307...o-the-air/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
18-05-2015, 07:14 AM
just the title of this thread...Ohmy..hyperventilating starting....I'm gonna passout.

shoot me now! its the apocalyse!

fuck that, never going to Oz Sadcryface

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
18-05-2015, 07:17 AM
I love spiders. That's the kind of thing I'd travel to Australia just to watch.

Jumping spiders are my favorite though, with their little puppy dog look.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
18-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Isn't it about time we just remove Australia from the surface of Earth?
18-05-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm marking Australia off my bucket list. No Hell, I flip my shit every time I step on a momma wolf spider and babies go running.

Raining cats and dogs - makes for a good nap
Raining men - annoying song
Raining spiders - did someone slip me acid? I don't remember dying and going to hell...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
18-05-2015, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2015 08:34 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Was at my friend's house last weekend. BIG BIG wolf spidey in their garage ... very furry. We annoyed it. Tongue

(I always tease this surgeon "Dr. Wolf" and ask him how are all the "Wool-a-ves" ... well the plural of wolf is "wolves" ... he always says until he met me he never knew he had a "two syllable name" : "Wool-uff")

Anyway ... Muffsy HAD to have something to do with this. He wants to drive everyone out and TAKE OVER. It's a trick.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-05-2015, 09:07 AM
(18-05-2015 08:11 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm marking Australia off my bucket list. No Hell, I flip my shit every time I step on a momma wolf spider and babies go running.

Raining cats and dogs - makes for a good nap
Raining men - annoying song
Raining spiders - did someone slip me acid? I don't remember dying and going to hell...

Shocking Wolf spiders?? ShockingI've never heard of wolf spiders? Oh no!

[Image: faint.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Ummm...

No.

No way.

I have no words.

I would have to move.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces