Mimic octopus limitations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Mimic octopus limitations
A friend and I were talking today about octopi, and how smart they are. Some of the things they've been caught doing are quite remarkable. I brought up the mimic octopus, which is also really good at looking like other creatures. It's uncanny.

So, I make a joke asking how long until one of them runs for president, and he responds with "Trump".

...and this makes a lot of sense. I could see him being a sufficiently smart mimic octopus that's managed to master speech and is able to survive out of water. It is almost passably human. Things it needs to work on to crawl out of uncanny valley are:
  • Realistic human hair.
  • Realistic range of human skin tone.
  • Basic social mores.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-04-2016, 10:48 AM
RE: Mimic octopus limitations
Dunno 'bout the hair part...

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
29-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Life on this planet is so fucking amazing!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-04-2016, 12:39 PM
(29-04-2016 10:48 AM)Loom Wrote:  Dunno 'bout the hair part...

Wait: you think Trump's hair does look passably human?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-04-2016, 02:22 PM

Yeah, really the octopus just needs to get a long hair guinea pig as a running mate and have it spend the campaign on 'his' head.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
29-04-2016, 05:59 PM
(29-04-2016 12:39 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

Wait: you think Trump's hair does look passably human?

It sorts of looks like a fungus I saw once. I'm not kidding.
29-04-2016, 06:40 PM
(29-04-2016 10:46 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  A friend and I were talking today about octopi, and how smart they are. Some of the things they've been caught doing are quite remarkable. I brought up the mimic octopus, which is also really good at looking like other creatures. It's uncanny.

So, I make a joke asking how long until one of them runs for president, and he responds with "Trump".

...and this makes a lot of sense. I could see him being a sufficiently smart mimic octopus that's managed to master speech and is able to survive out of water. It is almost passably human. Things it needs to work on to crawl out of uncanny valley are:
  • Realistic human hair.
  • Basic social mores.

I’ve photographed Mimic octopus in the Pacific, amazing camo.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-05-2016, 05:38 AM
you lost me at the hair part. poor octopus couldnt get that part down. nobody is perfect i guess.
01-05-2016, 06:52 AM
(29-04-2016 10:46 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  A friend and I were talking today about octopi, and how smart they are. Some of the things they've been caught doing are quite remarkable. I brought up the mimic octopus, which is also really good at looking like other creatures. It's uncanny.

• Realistic human hair.
  • Basic social mores.

It also has issues casting off the idea of mating with it's own offspring, if you recall.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post