Mind-controlling parasites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Mind-controlling parasites
The only science blog that I normally read is Ed Yong's "Not Exactly Rocket Science." He recently gave a lecture on mind-controlling parasites. It's quite disturbing. Enjoy!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
08-05-2013, 01:45 AM
RE: Mind-controlling parasites
Wow, when I saw this I was worried that I might have to move it into the conspiracy theory section. LOL

Here is another video of parasites that control the mind of caterpillars via a virus.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
08-05-2013, 01:55 AM
I can only hope that there are no companies called Umbrella or Tricell who have their hands on mind-controlling parasites.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-05-2013, 05:23 AM
(08-05-2013 01:45 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Wow, when I saw this I was worried that I might have to move it into the conspiracy theory section. LOL

Here is another video of parasites that control the mind of caterpillars via a virus.

Yah, it does sound kind of nutty if you don't know the context. I love the time lapse part in your video where the parasites burst out. Mmmmmm...yummy!

(08-05-2013 01:55 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I can only hope that there are no companies called Umbrella or Tricell who have their hands on mind-controlling parasites.

Me too.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
12-05-2013, 04:56 AM
Umbrella is currently know as GE. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
12-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Oh shit!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
12-05-2013, 07:47 PM
I just remember these guys. Poor Chekov!

KHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
12-05-2013, 08:15 PM
(08-05-2013 01:55 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I can only hope that there are no companies called Umbrella or Tricell who have their hands on mind-controlling parasites.

Shocking My goodness, think how much more productive the Tyrant series could be?!? Wink

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
12-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I know, I know, this is totally off-topic, but this was the last science thread to pop up, so...
A scientist counts out, individually, the 375,629 beans that are in a glass jar. Without having to worry with all that physical counting, an "idiot (i don't like that descriptor) savant" just looks at the jar, and (magically it would SEEM) knows how many there are. Even if he's off by a bean or two, it's incredible.
A meteorologist uses his instruments to tell us there's a 40% chance of rain, but an outdoorsman (for posts sake) could tell you that just by the smell, and change in temp!
A scientist "does the math", and it tells him x.y billion years from now our Sun will expand, and become a red giant. He's effectively predicting the future. Could a savant do that same math (magically it would SEEM) and be capable of predicting the future to a 50%-99% accuracy?
Sorry, had a "hippie-dippie" moment there, but, seriously, are there any savants noted for making predictions?

12-05-2013, 09:15 PM
(12-05-2013 08:15 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  

Shocking My goodness, think how much more productive the Tyrant series could be?!? Wink

it could be.... Wonderful.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post