Mindfullness.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Mindfullness.....
Wow.....I just tried sitting quietly and noticing my breath and my thoughts. And I felt a lot of peace, serenity and calmness.....I might try this 2-3 times a day.... do any of you practice mindfulness? And has it helped you???
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jason197754's post
02-05-2016, 10:12 AM
RE: Mindfullness.....
I go to that state daily, several times. One place is my massage chair - completely relaxed and letting my thoughts flow where they may... and also, I step outside in my garden and just breathe and take it all in... it's very therapeutic for me. Both mentally and physically, it helps when you deal with physical pain, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-05-2016, 10:42 AM
I usually do it if I'm feeling down. I just let the emotions flow and do whatever they do. I also examine various traits I admire (such as patience) and I concentrate on applying those traits as best I can. I do that multiple times throughout the day.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
02-05-2016, 11:29 AM
I know people who do that kind of thing and find it very helpful. I hope it will work well for you!

Every once in a while I've attempted it myself. Doesn't work for me--I just get bored and then annoyed, even less calm than when I began. Something about my attention span or temperament just flunks zen.

I get similar feelings to those described by mindfulness advocates when I practice music (plus my fingers get faster), so that's what I do instead.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
02-05-2016, 11:35 AM
(02-05-2016 11:29 AM)julep Wrote:  I know people who do that kind of thing and find it very helpful. I hope it will work well for you!

Every once in a while I've attempted it myself. Doesn't work for me--I just get bored and then annoyed, even less calm than when I began. Something about my attention span or temperament just flunks zen.

I get similar feelings to those described by mindfulness advocates when I practice music (plus my fingers get faster), so that's what I do instead.

I have not always been able to do this. There were time periods when I couldn't just let go. It doesn't matter how you get there, either. For some, jogging will do it, or a hot shower... countless ways to get there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-05-2016, 11:36 AM
I like to journal too. That also helps me. And I have a therapist now too.....
02-05-2016, 11:42 AM
i have my own ''happy place'' that i go to. its a universe that i created when i was around ten years old. i use to draw (more like doodle) all sorts of different storylines and battles. i had a few solar systems drawn up where the various races lived. i stopped drawing it after i graduated, but the stories continue in my head. it relaxes me a lot when i imagine it.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
02-05-2016, 12:01 PM
I've noticed a lot of people flocking to meditation and guided meditations, recently. I never could get into those guided ones - I don't like other people in my head. Dodgy

Mindfulness seems to be a great introduction to deep meditation. If nothing else, it's a great way to learn to harness your own mind and gain control of your thoughts.

Here's Headspace: https://www.headspace.com
I have no idea what it does (assume it trains you via exercises, to wrangle your thoughts) - never tried it (though I plan to) - people seem to get something out of it.

I'm sure there are many more but this one has a free trial for their app.
I just prefer the old fashioned way - I just sit and blank my mind and relax my body. It gets me there.
Or I paint. Same place. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
02-05-2016, 12:10 PM
(02-05-2016 12:01 PM)kim Wrote:  I've noticed a lot of people flocking to meditation and guided meditations, recently. I never could get into those guided ones - I don't like other people in my head. Dodgy

Mindfulness seems to be a great introduction to deep meditation. If nothing else, it's a great way to learn to harness your own mind and gain control of your thoughts.

Here's Headspace: https://www.headspace.com
I have no idea what it does (assume it trains you via exercises, to wrangle your thoughts) - never tried it (though I plan to) - people seem to get something out of it.

I'm sure there are many more but this one has a free trial for their app.
I just prefer the old fashioned way - I just sit and blank my mind and relax my body. It gets me there.
Or I paint. Same place. Shy

I hate groups. I like doing my own thing too.

02-05-2016, 12:13 PM
It's not about putting your mind in blank."."but noticing your thoughts and letting them go and focusing on your breath....