Mindfulness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2013, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 05:58 PM by Adenosis.)
Mindfulness
Mindfulness is something I've spoken about before in separate threads, it is about training your attention, and it has been shown to have benefits beyond an increased focus. It helps me to clear the clutter in my mind and think more clearly, lately I have been trying to meditate at least twenty minutes daily. It is difficult to follow through sometimes because there appears to be so much I need to get done, but when I look over my actions I see that most of them aren't actually necessary. When I do get around to meditating, I notice immediate increase in attention for a period of time.

Some studies I recommend checking out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12883106

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20363650

Here are two videos to watch if interested. I highly recommend the first one (Sam Harris), although it is almost an hour long.

The second I saw after watching 'The science delusion'. It is on the same stage as that video, but I feel this one isn't full of unsubstantiated-bias views like 'The science delusion'. The last video is about a program dedicated to getting mindfulness into schools, which I have previously thought would be an excellent idea.

What are your opinions of mindfulness meditation?
and if you are against it / don't like it, what is the extent of your experience with mindfulness?
(in practice, and research)

On the side: I don't claim to have a higher level of attention than anyone here, my attention span is generally rather low however I do notice an increase in it the more I meditate.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Adenosis's post
28-02-2013, 06:09 PM
RE: Mindfulness
(28-02-2013 05:53 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  Mindfulness is something I've spoken about before in separate threads, it is about training your attention, and it has been shown to have benefits beyond an increased focus. It helps me to clear the clutter in my mind and think more clearly, lately I have been trying to meditate at least twenty minutes daily. It is difficult to follow through sometimes because there appears to be so much I need to get done, but when I look over my actions I see that most of them aren't actually necessary. When I do get around to meditating, I notice immediate increase in attention for a period of time.

Some studies I recommend checking out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12883106

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20363650

Here are two videos to watch if interested. I highly recommend the first one (Sam Harris), although it is almost an hour long.

The second I saw after watching 'The science delusion'. It is on the same stage as that video, but I feel this one isn't full of unsubstantiated-bias views like 'The science delusion'. The last video is about a program dedicated to getting mindfulness into schools, which I have previously thought would be an excellent idea.

What are your opinions of mindfulness meditation?
and if you are against it / don't like it, what is the extent of your experience with mindfulness?
(in practice, and research)

On the side: I don't claim to have a higher level of attention than anyone here, my attention span is generally rather low however I do notice an increase in it the more I meditate.

I didn't know what to call it at the time, but I "discovered" when I was about 6 or 7 what I called "concentrating" was a really great thing to do. I "zoned-out" doing my homework. I didn't know for many years what it was called. I highly recommend it. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
28-02-2013, 06:12 PM
(28-02-2013 06:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I didn't know what to call it at the time, but I "discovered" when I was about 6 or 7 what I called "concentrating" was a really great thing to do. I "zoned-out" doing my homework. I didn't know for many years what it was called. I highly recommend it. Tongue

If zoning out is the same for me as it is for you, this is not the same. Zoning out implies a lack of attention doesn't it?

Although if by zoning out you meant just to relax and refrain from getting lost in though, then yes it is generally the same thing.

28-02-2013, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 06:46 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-02-2013 06:12 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(28-02-2013 06:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I didn't know what to call it at the time, but I "discovered" when I was about 6 or 7 what I called "concentrating" was a really great thing to do. I "zoned-out" doing my homework. I didn't know for many years what it was called. I highly recommend it. Tongue

If zoning out is the same for me as it is for you, this is not the same. Zoning out implies a lack of attention doesn't it?

Although if by zoning out you meant just to relax and refrain from getting lost in though, then yes it is generally the same thing.

No, it means actively blocking everything, and only total concentration on the one thing you are doing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-02-2013, 06:31 PM
(28-02-2013 06:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No, it means actively blocking everything, and only total concebtration on the one thing you are doing.

Ah, well zoning out means something different to me. But yes that would be a form of mindfulness.

28-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks. I will watch these on the weekend and report back Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
28-02-2013, 06:48 PM
This was worded nicely.
http://www.mindfulnessstudies.com/mindfu...e-relapse/ Wrote:Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy is a clinically proven program for
preventing relapse into depression and reducing stress and anxiety. It
combines the practice of mindfulness meditation with the tools of
cognitive therapy. Mindfulness is a non-judgemental way of paying
attention in the present moment. It enables us to increase our
understanding of our habitual reactions to challenging situations and
creates the possibility of choosing to respond in more effective ways.
Cognitive therapy is designed to interrupt the habitual negative
thinking that leads to depressive and anxious spirals.

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
28-02-2013, 06:51 PM
The Christian mystics call it "recollection", or "contemplation".
The Buddhists call it mindfullness : "attentive awareness of the reality of things (especially of the present moment)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness
I have always thought the Japaneese had the closest concept to what I mean by it.
http://community.appamada.org/profiles/b...ent%3A2088

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-02-2013, 07:21 PM
I get one of these when mind full

[Image: ppc2.gif]

And I also agree, "zoning out" is different from "concentrating"...

"zoning out" is when you just blank out and lose track of time, staring at nothing

Now, being "in the zone" might be closer to "concentrating"

AND meditation is good.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post