Mininum Wage Protest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Mininum Wage Protest
As a young entrepreneur who as limited skills & resources, who is the son of an other entrepreneur who has succeeded to a national status, I see these scheduled protest as a little ridiculous.

My mother came from a typical scenario of a very low class individual: 16, has a kid, food stamps, high school graduate (barely), and working for minimum wage. She did not stay that way, she went to study cosmetology to work a better job, she "hustled" her ass off at that job. I remember my dad taking me on drives at night to pick her up from that job in the only car we had. After a few years of SAVING MONEY, my mother was able to open her own business. Long story short, she continued to expand and is now a top educator for an international business.

So what does my mother's success story have to do with these protest? Unlike the majority of these protesters, according to my own experiences, my mother did not look at those above her and say "that's not fair, I want that too". She was able to recognize that the only way she was going to better her life was to take action for her own life. She did not give into the arrogance and prejudices pushed on her, she learned from her mistakes and did not repeat them.

I've worked since the age 10, my allowance was the roof over the bed I slept in and table I never felt hungry at, and if I wanted something I worked a job for it. Never once did my mother ever make me feel entitled to it because I was "special". She taught me that success, no matter the size, takes effort and you only get back what you give in. Yes I am struggling to make my dream come true but never will you hear me complain about the obstacles, I only speak of how I'm learning to overcome them.

Was this a rant? Yes.
Did I get my point across? You tell me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like SparkByTouch's post
04-12-2013, 01:26 AM
RE: Mininum Wage Protest
The fast food workers protesting recently over wages don't seem to realize how easy it would be (and more cost effective) to replace many of them with ATMs and machines rather than doubling their wages.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
04-12-2013, 02:43 AM
Amen.

I hate poor people, bunch of whinny bitches.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
04-12-2013, 03:15 AM
The problem with your argument is that it assumes that we live under a true meritocracy: if you persevere for long enough and grapple with the continual obstacles your way and continue to achieve, eventually you are guaranteed to land yourself in a better place.

This isn't how the system works. The system is designed under a stratified hierarchy, and while there is some degree of mobility, a large segment of low-paid, blue collar workers constitute a significant base of the pyramid. There simply aren't enough spaces the higher up you go to accommodate everybody; a true meritocracy would essentially be an upside down pyramid if the logic was played out to its extent, and it would collapse under its own weight. Many of those under the poverty line do struggle, juggling multiple low paying jobs just to make ends meets and push as hard as they can to achieve their goals. Many of them, over the years, find themselves going absolutely nowhere regardless, whether due to a lack of socio-capital and resources, absences of opportunities, or other various reasons. Truth is, the way our system works, there are always going to be a group of people stuck scrubbing the toilets no matter how hard they try to obtain a better position within the socio-economic ladder. No wonder they are complaining about their absolute dirt-cheap pay.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
04-12-2013, 06:30 AM
There's gonna be toilet scrubbers in every society.
BUT when you have no education and no skills wtf do you expect?

It bothers me that people drop out of school at like 14 and than go into flipping burgers and than all they do is complain about how shit "society" has fucked them over.
There's no accountability for one's own actions anymore. It's always their fault, never my fault. This is why I hate poor people.
In this case it's societies or the man's fault. The fact that they dropped out of school at 14 and/or have no skills is entirely irrelevant in their eyes.

What the OP is saying is just this. People blame everyone else but fail to address the actual problem, them.
In the OP's case, his mother was in a shitty situation and rather than bitch and whine and blame society or the man she got off her ass and worked her way up the ladder. And bloody good on her I say.

That's how you get a head in life, you educate yourself, you get skills, you save, you work hard etc.. Work ethic and ambition is the only thing that separates those that move up and those that stay down.

[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
04-12-2013, 06:42 AM
(04-12-2013 01:26 AM)BryanS Wrote:  The fast food workers protesting recently over wages don't seem to realize how easy it would be (and more cost effective) to replace many of them with ATMs and machines rather than doubling their wages.

Yes and how is it their fault that greed causes the owners to abuse society like that? Seriously fuck them. There is no excuse with 57 trillion GDP that anyone at any class should be in any type of abject poverty.

Japan and Germany also have fry cooks and dishwashers and janitors too. What they dont have is the pay gap. They also have a better educated society including their poor being more educated.

This is more 1% bullshit libertarian Ayn Rand garbage.

WE the the tax payers are subsidizing these corporate bullies low wages. If these assholes want more people off the government dime the best way to do that is to increase wages. PERIOD!

Nick Hanour a BILLIONAIRE agrees that WE the workers create jobs because we are the bulk of the buying public that create the demand. The more money we have in our pockets the more demand we create. Business's wont hire anymore people than they have to and the only thing that causes them to is DEMAND and we are the buying public WE create that demand.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
04-12-2013, 06:44 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/rich-peop...bs-2013-11

If anyone thinks there are not rich people who agree with livable wages they'd be wrong.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
04-12-2013, 06:46 AM
I think as a basic principle of fairness it should not be necessary to work multiple jobs in order to feed your family.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
04-12-2013, 06:53 AM
(04-12-2013 06:46 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I think as a basic principle of fairness it should not be necessary to work multiple jobs in order to feed your family.

Absolutely!

Think about how much more stable society would be if we could do this. Be able to pay your rent/morgage/car/utilities on one 40 hour a week job, no matter what class you are in. You'd have more time to your family, more involvement with your kids, more opportunity to be involved with them and the community. Less government dependency.

It is absurd the direction this country is going. We are becoming a sweat shop society like India and China.

04-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Oh look, here comes Brian, the 40 something year old burger flipper to illustrate my point.

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post