Mininum Wage Protest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
RE: Mininum Wage Protest
frankksj you Heart this topic Smile.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
This seemed apropos. Big Grin

"You're going up against the pope?!" Stewart exclaimed. "Pope doesn't go to where you work and slap Jamie Dimon's dick out of your mouth!"

In the end, he at least had to recognize that his opinion is not so far off from Varney.

He conceded: "Some people are being paid too much money to shovel unappetizing, unhealthy shit onto the American public. We just disagree about who they are and where they work."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-12-2013, 09:48 PM
@Girly, Jon Stewart is awesome. That was a great segment showing the absurdity of the right wing-nuts talking points. BUT, I still don't anybody explaining why this needs to be done at the national level. Do you have an answer to the question I posted here?
07-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Can I just say, it's not about "living wage". If people can survive off unemployment benefit than they can survive off whatever your minimum wage is. It's not about "living wage", it's about "living comfortably wage".
It's just another way to phrase "it's everyone else's fault that people have more than me".

It should be, unemployment benefit pays for rent/power/food/insurance/petrol/kids schooling that's it. And than no minimum wage.
Low paying jobs are low paying jobs for a reason. They require little to no education and or skill. You can say the job requires skill (though I don't believe there's any skill in washing dishes), but the point is you could easily be replaced by anyone.
A doctor on the other hand cannot be replaced by anyone. You need someone with training and a degree. A doctor has a far higher skill requirement and level of education and so should pay more. Or a businessmen. A businessmen takes on financial risk as well as the work load of running that business and the responsibilities that come with that. Washing dishes has zero responsibility. Hell, you could accidentally drop a dish and break it and you wouldn't even have to pay for it.

There's no skill requirement, there's no educational requirement, there's no risk, there's no responsibility, you're very very easily replaced.
It's no wonder it's a low paying job. It should be a low paying job and you should get shit pay for it to represent all those things.
You don't deserve the big mansion and Ferrari.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
07-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Some see earmuffs hard on the working man. No, far from it. I see no ill will toward hard working dishwasher man who complains not of the job. However those who admittedly will spit on food and serve it to patrons who seem disrespectful. Well, saliva man deserves everything he gets, now don't they? Earmuffs not like saliva man. Be humble dishwasher man, seek promotion or other honest work.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
07-12-2013, 01:56 AM
(07-12-2013 12:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Can I just say, it's not about "living wage". If people can survive off unemployment benefit than they can survive off whatever your minimum wage is. It's not about "living wage", it's about "living comfortably wage".
It's just another way to phrase "it's everyone else's fault that people have more than me".

It should be, unemployment benefit pays for rent/power/food/insurance/petrol/kids schooling that's it. And than no minimum wage.
Low paying jobs are low paying jobs for a reason. They require little to no education and or skill. You can say the job requires skill (though I don't believe there's any skill in washing dishes), but the point is you could easily be replaced by anyone.
A doctor on the other hand cannot be replaced by anyone. You need someone with training and a degree. A doctor has a far higher skill requirement and level of education and so should pay more. Or a businessmen. A businessmen takes on financial risk as well as the work load of running that business and the responsibilities that come with that. Washing dishes has zero responsibility. Hell, you could accidentally drop a dish and break it and you wouldn't even have to pay for it.

There's no skill requirement, there's no educational requirement, there's no risk, there's no responsibility, you're very very easily replaced.
It's no wonder it's a low paying job. It should be a low paying job and you should get shit pay for it to represent all those things.
You don't deserve the big mansion and Ferrari.

It is about a living wage. Sure you can survive on a minimum wage job, but only because you're getting welfare, Medicaid, and food stamps. People should not be paying for someone else's food through taxes(food stamps) when that person works full time.
07-12-2013, 02:50 AM
(06-12-2013 09:48 PM)frankksj Wrote:  @Girly, Jon Stewart is awesome. That was a great segment showing the absurdity of the right wing-nuts talking points. BUT, I still don't anybody explaining why this needs to be done at the national level. Do you have an answer to the question I posted here?

I think it's appropriate for the Man to set regulations and minimum standards to be met, the States should implement them. The Blue States are setting up their own exchanges and they will work out fine. The Red states are rejecting the Medicaid expansion. I wouldn't want to be a poor person in a Red State. You're just fucking fucked.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-12-2013, 02:53 AM
(06-12-2013 09:48 PM)frankksj Wrote:  @Girly, Jon Stewart is awesome. That was a great segment showing the absurdity of the right wing-nuts talking points. BUT, I still don't anybody explaining why this needs to be done at the national level. Do you have an answer to the question I posted here?

I think it's appropriate for the Man to set regulations and minimum standards to be met, the States should implement them. The Blue States are setting up their own exchanges and they will work out fine. The Red states are rejecting the Medicaid expansion and everything else about the ACA. I wouldn't want to be a poor person in a Red State rejecting the ACA. You're just fucking fucked.

08-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Chas,

I offered you a friendly tip to avoid looking so dumb, but you chose to ignore it, and look at what you did... You shit all over yourself again.

Remember I agreed you with labor should be rewarded with a living wage, and I said the ONLY reason I would disagree with you is because you'd try to use force to make that happen.

IF you had taken my advice and responded: “Force should be used because....”, then it would appear you adopted your position only after careful consideration, and we'd just have a difference of opinion. Instead you ignored my tip and hastily responded: “Exactly where did I say to use force? You need to stop making these silly assumptions....”

Now you're stuck, because obviously I responded by asking how you plan to accomplish this without using force... But, like all liberals, you're simply incapable of contemplating a solution that doesn't involve force. Thus, you concede my original assumption was correct, but what's worse, you've just revealed that I knew your position before you did.

Seriously, Chas, just if you just come to terms with the fact that no matter the problem your solution is always to use force you won't keep getting yourself trapped when you debate libertarians. It would come down to a difference of opinion, instead of a revelation that libertarians understand liberals' positions better than liberals themselves.
08-12-2013, 11:14 AM
(06-12-2013 11:22 AM)frankksj Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 11:11 PM)shallwechat71 Wrote:  If I staunchly refuse to stop at stop sign and just do a "rolling stop" or take off the mufflers of my Harley-Davidson. or engage deceptive business practices with my customers, or subject workers to hazardous work conditions without PPE or pay below the minimum wage or the new minimum wage, or use substandard subcontractors for hazardous waste disposal. i will suffer penalties, up to arrest, loss of my business license. its a social contract we all agree on as a society. we and i cant just pick and choose the law we and i can follow. I may agree or disagree, but that is a part of living in society.

Look up the definition of the social contract. There's one ESSENTIAL component for a social contract, or any contract for that matter: VOLUNTARY.

If the laws which initiate force (police action) are passed at the local/state level, then if you don't like them, you can leave. If you VOLUNTARILY decide to live in a region, then, yes, you have executed a social contract and bind yourself to those laws.

But what if the law is passed at the national level, so there is no place you are legally allowed to live and escape it? Then it is NOT VOLUNTARY, and the social contract is invalid just like any other contract that you did not voluntarily enter into.

So, you need to explain WHY we need nationwide laws on, say, stop signs? Pollution is, of course, cross border, so a catalytic converter on your Harley could be argued to be a national issue. But a muffler is only to limit noise, and they're not loud enough for one state to affect another. So explain WHY we need one noise ordinance for the whole country, and why out in Montana, hundreds of miles from a town, they need the same restrictions on noise as in the middle of Manhattan. THAT is the issue we're debating.

No, it's not voluntary in the sense you are trying to make it. It is not written anew every time a baby is born.

It is voluntary in the sense that we can change it by agreeing to do so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user