Mininum Wage Protest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 09:35 AM
RE: Mininum Wage Protest
It is easy for the OP to say that people should go out there and earn what their worth because obviously s/he comes from a position that has showed him/her that this is achievable.

However reality is not that simple.

People are raised differently from different backgrounds, some people don't have the opportunity's given to them (because of where there from, the colour of their skin, how they look and millions of other reasons) They get trod on everywhere they go and the majority of people simply accept it, whilst some fight back.

How are you going to achieve your potential when you have no idea what it is because of the way you were raised??? Its like expecting cancer patients to know that they have cancer without telling them about doctors.

The shitty system we live under NEEDS poor people.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
(04-12-2013 09:35 AM)bemore Wrote:  It is easy for the OP to say that people should go out there and earn what their worth because obviously s/he comes from a position that has showed him/her that this is achievable.

However reality is not that simple.

People are raised differently from different backgrounds, some people don't have the opportunity's given to them (because of where there from, the colour of their skin, how they look and millions of other reasons) They get trod on everywhere they go and the majority of people simply accept it, whilst some fight back.

How are you going to achieve your potential when you have no idea what it is because of the way you were raised??? Its like expecting cancer patients to know that they have cancer without telling them about doctors.

The shitty system we live under NEEDS poor people.

I know, right? I mean what the hell, fuckin' poor people. Why don't they all just go out and do what the OP is doing? Isn't it obvious? Hobo

Man I hate arrogant people. I also can't stand people that shit on where they came from.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
(04-12-2013 07:24 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 11:56 PM)SparkByTouch Wrote:  As a young entrepreneur who as limited skills & resources, who is the son of an other entrepreneur who has succeeded to a national status, I see these scheduled protest as a little ridiculous.

My mother came from a typical scenario of a very low class individual: 16, has a kid, food stamps, high school graduate (barely), and working for minimum wage. She did not stay that way, she went to study cosmetology to work a better job, she "hustled" her ass off at that job. I remember my dad taking me on drives at night to pick her up from that job in the only car we had. After a few years of SAVING MONEY, my mother was able to open her own business. Long story short, she continued to expand and is now a top educator for an international business.
What about your dad? Does he have a job? Does he earn the minimum wage?
Does he support your family financially? What about one single parent households
that have just 1 minimum wage to live on? The may not be able to afford
studying cosmetology.

My dad was working minimum wage at the early start of it all. He, unlike my mom, got ahead by working hard to gain experience needed to get promotions. He works a good paying job for a bank that handles finances of military personnel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
There was a time in the not so distant past that we waged war on poverty, not poor people.

Yes some poor people quit school to take a minimum wage job, some had to, it was either get a low paying job and eat, or go to school and starve. In some states, largely in the Bible Belt, politicians have declared war on the public education system doing everything in their power to dismantle and destroy it and with some success, so the education route has been closed to some and will be closed to more in the future to create a system of wage slaves.

I have no problem with someone working hard and achieving great success, I do have a problem with people working hard and being stuck in poverty because some corporate CEO wants an ivory backscratcher or diamond studded golf clubs, and figures its more important than his employees putting food on the table to feed the family.

Its like that old tale, you have a Wall Street Banker, a Middle Class Worker and a Minimum Wage Worker sitting at a table with 12 cookiees, the Banker puts 11 of them in his pocket and before he leaves the room he tells the Middle Class Worker that the Minimum Wage guy is trying to steal his cookiee.
[+] 1 user Likes WVAtheist's post
04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
(04-12-2013 08:30 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 08:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just because I brought video games with my money doesn't mean we weren't poor.
Putting food on the table each night was a constant struggle I can assure you.
Those video games, what you call "useless shit", is all I had. All I had because I worked for them and got them myself. Which is the point.

And there was a toy store stocker, who put that on the shelf for you to buy, and a toy store clerk who rang it up and a janitor who kept the store clean, and a truck driver who shipped the toys to the store you bought it from.

You didn't do those things, you spent the money to buy it, you didn't do the work to put that toy on the shelf, THEY DID!

Now get this through your head, YES you did earn the money to buy it. But you DID NOT do their work to make that available for you to buy. You are debasing their jobs for your own selfishness.

I find it sick that you care more about yourself in putting value in the material things you buy and care nothing about the people who do the work to make those things available to you.

Your narcissism and selfishness are the problem, not the poor. Workers are not tools they are humans, and I am sick of people like you treating them like the objects you buy.

This is the most stupid thing I've read in a while, well second most stupid. The idea that man kind is going to die out due to a lack of people breeding was the most stupid.

You obviously missed the entire point of my post, again. It's ok, I blame your lack obvious lack of education.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Great post Thumbsup

hard work =/= a good job.
hard work =/= liveable pay.
life is so far from fair for that to be in the cards.
You go into a position expecting to make the payrange of that position, not expecting to make how much you feel you deserve as a person.

I'm not going to apply for a secretary position and ask for $70,000 a year, because (in most cases) that is just NOT what that position pays.

The argument that a full time job should support a family regardless of what that job is, I mean that's a great utopian dream and all, but honestly some jobs aren't meant to be sufficient to support a family.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
04-12-2013, 06:09 PM
(04-12-2013 05:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I blame your lack obvious lack of education.

Confused

Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
04-12-2013, 07:48 PM
(04-12-2013 06:09 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 05:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I blame your lack obvious lack of education.

Confused

Big Grin

[Image: Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
04-12-2013, 08:23 PM
There are a lot of factors that contribute to poverty and how easy it is to climb out of it. Who your parents are is one factor. The educational opportunities afforded you when you're growing up is another. What is the crime rate in your neighborhood, what goes on where you live? Are there jobs and people who get up and go to work every day or do you live in a crumbling inner city? And, what color are you? All these things are factors and I think it's a little too easy to just point blame at people who are born into shitty circumstances.

That said, if you are 40 years old and flipping burgers or washing dishes or stocking shelves for a living, that's on you. At some point, you need to stand up and take responsibility for yourself. In the US, at least, there are all kinds of government programs to for college and trade schools. I pay a shitload of taxes to fund all this stuff. Take advantage of it or don't, but at some point, you need to be accountable for you.

We have created an entire underclass of people who are completely incapable of taking care of themselves. Inner city black, rural whites, all of these people are just wards of the state. The politicians have made a wonderful deal with them and it goes like this: we promise to give you crappy schools, no police protection, no industry, almost zero chance of bettering yourself, and then we will throw you a life line of money and food stamps and subsidized housing and in return you live in abject poverty, vote for us every 2 or 4 years, and stay the fuck out of the way. Oh, and just to keep your leaders quiet, we will put up a few programs to help you educate yourself that will be far less advertised and funded than food stamps and all the stuff that is intended to keep you basically in financially slavery so the few of you who can lift your heads above the parepet of poverty can find an actual way out. It's an insane system and we pour more and more money into it every fucking year. And, we sit in amazement that we have more people year on year who can't fend for themselves and not less.

At some point, people need to say "to hell with this" and go take care of themselves. If you're happy washing dishes, then good on you. It's honest work and have a party doing it. If you're not, then go take some steps and do something about it. Life is about choices. The government isn't going to help you, they are only going to subsidize you just enough to keep you beholden to them and not one penny more. Take ownership of your life.

By the way, it's incredibly easy for me to say this. I'm white, was born middle class and my parents made it a point to live in places with good schools and low crimes. I'm doing the same for my kids. But, my parents grew up poor and they worked hard to make sure their kids never had to deal with what they did growing up. My mother is fond of saying my father grew up so poor they did not have enough money to know how poor they were. But, they came from people who worked hard to provide for their families and they worked hard to provide for my sister and me. And, they didn't buy every new gadget that came out. They made choices, and life is all about choices. Some of us have fewer of them than others. Life isn't fair. You make the best of the hand that your dealt. What you dont' do is whine about it and do nothing to change it. I guess that's an option, but it's not a viable one. At least, not if you want something to change.

Oh, one other thought: if McDonald's doesn't pay enough for you to provide for your family, don't work at McDonald's. I know it's a tough economy and I know good paying jobs for people with little education and no skills are about as frequent as unicorns, but what do you expect a job that requires no skills and no education to pay?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
04-12-2013, 08:28 PM
I would think that the protesters doing so after taking a good hard look at how the loaf of bread they buy & take back to their hovel to meet out sparingly over the next 2 weeks has tripled in price while their wages have remained constant in the same amount of time, have something to complain about!

But maybe I'm a bleeding heart liberal, and just don't know it Undecided
We could eat the poor Angel