Miracle Detectives

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Miracle Detectives
It's one of Oprah's new shows for her network(anyone else pissed that she killed the Discovery Medical channel?), where a believer and an unbeliever investigate miracles. I decided to watch the first episode, just to see what it was like. It defiantly wasn't biased towards the religious side, but it did give off an aura of both sides are equal. They summed up the episode with the line, "Just two different ways of looking at the same thing". I do appreciate that the show didn't work towards religion, but they did have to down play the skeptical side, so they would seem equal. It almost seemed like they gave the religious side a handicap.

On the episode that I did watch, they investigated the angel appearing in a hospital. They even managed to capture this amazing picture.
[Image: hospital_angel_picture_122008a.jpg]
From what I can tell, if all the episodes are like the first one, they are pretty hard-pressed to find any real miracles. The believer really just went around talking about how they all believe that it was an angel, and how great god was. The skeptic was the one who was left to provide evidence to the contrary(which she did). That got on my nerves. Another side note, they defined the word "Skeptic" as a person who rejects the notion of the supernatural. I just found it interesting, because they pretty refused to use words like "Unbeliever", "Atheist", or "Agnostic".

But, I do I have to wonder if the watering down of the skeptical side is really a good thing. The distrust toward the more secular, atheistic portion of America is strong, and if a show like that jump into rationalism and realism, and just blew the miracles out of the water like they easily could have, there's a good chance that the tension in America would only rise. But if they water atheism and skepticism down, people might be more inclined to trust us. I'm not sure about any of that, but thinking realistically, I don't think atheism will gain social acceptance by trying to do what most people would probably see as stealing their faith.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
RE: Miracle Detectives
That is NOT an amazing picture. It has been easy to create an effect like that ever since the invention of the camera, more than 100 years ago. Tens of thousands of cheap double-exposed pictures like this have been passed of as angels in that time.

That show isn't an investigation, it is propaganda that gives lip service to the skeptical side to create a sense of equality, when they really aren't. If it was an investigation, they would have brought up a bunch of historic frauds and demonstrated the methods used to create those fraudulant photos. I just lost a lot of respect for Oprah.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2011, 04:33 AM
RE: Miracle Detectives
Since when do believers ever give evidence? It seems it is always on the non believer to prove that god does not exist. All the believer has to offer is blind faith.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user