Miracles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Miracles
Why are there no miracles today? Or for that matter, why does an omnibenevolent deity, withdraw itself from the world stage, and hide behind some of the most corrupted recordings the world has ever known; if all it really wants is for us to know itself?

These aren't rhetorical, or sarcastic; I am presenting these questions seriously, so that we might attempt and generate some logical reasons.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
RE: Miracles
If you are serious that these are questions without sarcasm, then I can give you the answer. Alas, it may not generate much discussion, and I am positive you already know the answer. The reason there are no miracles today is that miracles do not exist outside of fantasy. They never have. There never has been miracles, and today is no different than 2000 years ago.

Sorry, kinda boring. Howsaboot we have some fun with this though....

God has removed himself from the world stage. You are correct. He has done so to test the faith of his children, for the day of judgement draws near. He is showing us what happens when we loose faith in him, so that he can divide us into believers and nonbelievers. It makes perfect sense really. By allowing disaster and corruption to go unchecked by the interference of god, he can quickly and easily choose who goes to heaven, and who burns for eternity in hell. The man who dies in an earthquake, while on his knees praying, will be chosen to sit at the side of god in heaven. The man who rejects god and his decision to murder innocent people through his wrath in the form of an earthquake, and instead chooses to do what he can to save himself and others from this terrible wrath, will burn in hell for not believing that the earthquake was gods will.

....oh, and by the way.......the preist who got out alive? Well, that was gods plan for him. Duh!

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Alright, my first response is because god doesn't exist, but that is no fun.

Because miracles are for the worthy, and everyone in the world is evil? Wait... That seems familiar.... Oh god! The world is gonna flood!

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
01-05-2010, 05:32 PM

"He has done so to test the faith of his children, for the day of judgment draws near. He is showing us what happens when we loose faith in him, so that he can divide us into believers and nonbelievers."

This seems reasonable within a short time frame; however, Yahweh has removed itself for more than one generation. In fact, Yahweh appears to have consecutively removed itself for many hundreds of years. How would this account for a test of faith, when judgment has been drawing near for hundreds of years, and those caught between the, effectively random, appearances die without knowing his grace; and are therefore punished accordingly?

And besides which, what could he possibly be 'showing'? I mean...

So, there are believers and the skeptics. Yahwehs plan has worked perfectly, due to its extended absence, a considerable amount of the human population, easily more than five billion today alone, do not believe that Yahweh exists. Tomorrow judgment occurs, and those that had faith are now saved. However, those that did not are left behind/and or thrown into hell? Since the enactment of judgment would be a finality, there would be no learning, or showing; it'd be the true believers just gloating and everyone else being eternally damned; omnibenevolence?

@Ashley lol ^_^
01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Believers know gods grace through faith. The more people stop believing the more god must hide himself to weed out those heathens. Not to mention, hundreds of years IS a short time period for god. And one last thing...his appearances are far from random. He appears to us as needed to fulfill his plan.

Just visiting.

-SR
01-05-2010, 05:48 PM

I'm almost certain that Yahweh and Lucifer are having a contest continuously, to predict whether humanity is either fundamentally good, or fundamentally evil.{Based upon scriptural evidence} Logically we may conclude that they would be keeping score via a tally chart of sorts, where each human saved, or damned, counts as one point; presumably a priest turning their back to Yahweh would count as more than one point. However, it is abundantly clear that humanity is in favor of Lucifers prediction, simply based upon raw numerical difference. Therefore Yahweh, as creator of humanity, intentionally damned its own creation, to a law and punishment it created itself?
02-05-2010, 05:16 AM

But, how would they account for Atheists, though? Recall the definition of an Atheist:

"One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods."

If we don't believe that god exists (which would, by default, mean we don't believe anything associated with him that's supernatural exists either), then how can either Yahweh or Lucifer use any of us as a 'point' in their tally?

Atheists don't believe that any gods exists, whether it be Yahweh, or Zeus, or Mithra, etc., etc. As this is the case, we don't lean towards Lucifer by default (although most theists would put us in that category).

Suffice it to say, if this world did ever come to 'end of days', we'd all be in the dog house; but, from a biblical revelation perspective, I would be inclined to say we'd be exempt from any such event, simply because we are purposefully ignorant to the simple existence of such an event.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the 'end of days' scenario documented in Revelations is more than just a 'physical' event...it is also a 'psychological' event. For Atheists, who don't believe in any religious dogma, we are exempt from the psychological aspect. If something were to happen, our explanation would be a rational one (earth cycle, coincidental chain of events, etc.) versus the theists 'judgment is coming' stance.
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Insane Clown Posse would like to have a word with you...

MAGNETS, HOW DO THEY WORK?

02-05-2010, 02:08 PM
(02-05-2010 02:04 PM)Green Wrote:  Insane Clown Posse would like to have a word with you...

MAGNETS, HOW DO THEY WORK?

F***ing magic, man.

[Image: Magic_Kirby.jpg]

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2010, 05:33 PM

My response:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v...tal-to-ICP