Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2010, 10:36 AM
So sometimes at work, we get magazines (for free) from one of our sister companies, which is a periodicals company. We get all kinds of stuff - much of it localized to parts of the country where I don't live, but other times there's some interesting stuff.

So I picked up a copy of "Charisma." Now for those of you who don't know your Protestant sects, Charismatics are also usually known as Pentecostals. They usually fall under the Assembly of God denomination. Charismatics are usually the ones you see on television getting filled up with the HOLY SPIRIT and healing people and yelling and screaming and rolling on the floor (Holy Rollers), and pronouncing "Jesus" like "JAY-SUS" and things of that nature. They also speak in tongues (the gift of the Spirit) and so on.

My mother was raised Pentecostal and so was my grandmother. While I haven't been directly exposed to the oddest of this stuff, I have been to some mildly Charismatic church services.

Anyway, while flipping through the magazine I came across the story of Delia Knox, a woman who was hit by a drunk driver in 1987 and has been supposedly paralyzed from the waist down with no feelings in her legs. She was "miraculously" healed just this past August. Here is a link to the youtube video of the healing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYjM4xrw1ds. Of course you'll notice first off that comments have been disabled.

So I thought, just for kicks, I would analyze this 'miracle.'

First off, no where in the short article I read nor in the youtube video can I find any links of any of this woman's medical records, so the claim that she was paralyzed with no feeling from the waist down immediately comes under scrutiny. How extensive were the injuries? Are there x-rays indicating severe permanent damage? Did doctors actually tell her she could never walk again? There are many unanswered questions that would need to be thoroughly answered by experts before claiming that a miracle has occurred.

Note at about 2:40 in the video, as she begins to feel the mans hand on her leg, she claims "no, I could feel sensations, but not actual feeling." Um, what? Being able to feel sensations would indicate that she could feel. Period. So she's established that she could previously feel things in her legs.

Second, as you can see from watching a bit, these people purposely work themselves up into an emotional fervor. It's all part of "feeling the gift of the Spirit." It's also all part of removing rationale from the people in the room. Using loud music and coaching from the worship leaders, most everyone begins to "feel" all kinds of magical things.

So she finally attempts to stand up, unassisted, at about 4:57. After working her arms back and forth to gain momentum, she does rise out of the wheelchair part way, only to sit back down again. Hard to tell if her facial expression is one of joy or pain. She moves like someone who has not used there legs in a while. Wow. Of course the congregation goes apeshit.

6:13 - she finally stands - by putting her arms on others and pushing herself up. Wow again. More apeshit. She's still weak in the legs, and now being held up by the lead pastor in front of her. 6:37 she attempts to walk a step and nearly falls on her behind.

The rest of the video is equally ludicrous. She walks around the stage area slowly, being assisted by 2 to 4 other people. And according to the article I read, she was still using her wheelchair in the weeks after taking these steps. Of course, the article was in the November magazine, and this "miracle" took place in late August, meaning that as of the written article, she was still wheelchair bound. Wow. I mean, a woman whose legs have had 22 years to slightly heal manages to pull herself up (by her arms that probably get a regular workout due to the wheelchair) and walk around awkwardly with a bunch of assistance. That's the best healing miracle that God can perform? Hell, in the middle of the walk she has to sit on the ground because she's FUCKING EXHAUSTED, and so are the people holding her up. Then the people around her make sure to jump since she can't. The real miracle is that people continue to buy this shit.

At 12:03 with one minute left in the video, I realize this woman has not managed to take even a single step under her own power. And surprise, at 13:03 when the video ends, she still hasn't. This is such utter bullshit.

Sorry, I started to write this post and analyze this thing and then just got pissed off.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 09:52 PM
RE: Miracles!
It's all smoke and mirrors. And of course a good dose of bullshit. Smile

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 10:27 PM
RE: Miracles!
(30-12-2010 10:36 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  The real miracle is that people continue to buy this shit.

No doubt! It breaks my heart to see very intelligent and educated people ignore all logic and believe in this crap.

My family believes that Mary appears in Egypt on top of a church. There are hundreds of videos on youtube of the 'appearance', but I haven't been able to find an explanation for that light to back up my argument!! I hate it when that happens, because they believe they've won :/
Quote this message in a reply