Miracles & Resurrections

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2017, 09:42 AM
RE: Miracles & Resurrections
(04-01-2017 06:24 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 02:50 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Hare droppings?
[Image: heukoettel-kaninchen.jpg]

"Bearscat!" might make a good interjection...
[Image: Black-Bear-Sign-Scat-726x599.jpg]

Yes, but the thing about a steaing heap of bearscat is that if you've just stepped in one then the shit sticking to your shoe is possibly the least of your worries.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2017, 09:53 AM
(03-01-2017 04:50 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  I saw this video earlier today of a son who prayed his father back to life. Here's the video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lk9PAIxeAag
What are your thoughts on this? I tried to find an instance where someone came back to life without the alleged help of the supernatural but I personally couldn't find any. That, to me, would be evidence that these occurrences can have purely naturalistic explanations. Any thoughts on this? How do we explain things like this?

I would have to wonder why God Allighty couldn't be arsed to save any of the other people who had died in twenty years at that hospital and why he needed doctors to do the work for him.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
04-01-2017, 09:58 AM
(04-01-2017 09:53 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 04:50 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  I saw this video earlier today of a son who prayed his father back to life. Here's the video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lk9PAIxeAag
What are your thoughts on this? I tried to find an instance where someone came back to life without the alleged help of the supernatural but I personally couldn't find any. That, to me, would be evidence that these occurrences can have purely naturalistic explanations. Any thoughts on this? How do we explain things like this?

I would have to wonder why God Allighty couldn't be arsed to save any of the other people who had died in twenty years at that hospital and why he needed doctors to do the work for him.

Yup. Six million of his chosen people died in WW II and he didn't lift a finger but some idiot survives through a prayer.

I think I'm going to go sell the Brooklyn Bridge to these folks.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-01-2017, 06:11 PM
(03-01-2017 06:52 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 05:14 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Total fucking bullshit.

(03-01-2017 06:44 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Horseshit.

Why is it always horses and bulls? Why not camel or whale or dog or squid or some other critter?

It's a cultural thing.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
07-01-2017, 08:52 AM
(03-01-2017 07:07 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 06:52 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Why is it always horses and bulls? Why not camel or whale or dog or squid or some other critter?

You ever step in a pile of horse or bull excrement?

Dog poop isn't nearly as impressive.

As someone who's been both dog and horse owner I know through experience that dog shit is a whole lot worse to step in than horse shit.
That carnivore shit thing stinks horrifyingly! Horse shit however doesn't smell much and has the structure of well chewed grass. I still don't recommend stepping in it intentionally though. Cow shit is somewhere in the middle.
Yes, I've stepped in way too much shit in my lifetime!

I propose to use carnivores, like dogs, or even better, cats, for swearing in the future. "That's catshit!" will get a point across greatly!

Also, that dead man being prayed back to life. That's hyenashit!

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
07-01-2017, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 12:32 PM by TheInquisition.)

Somethings fishy, they said he was in a coma for five days and then came out of the coma after his son prayed. They then say his heart had stopped for 45 minutes and then he came back.

This smacks of a lot of people making claims and they aren't the same claims.

A question I would want to know is - is that heart monitoring equipment in proper working order? I've seen these things give spurious results when my dad was in the hospital, so much so that the nurses would ignore a lot of it's signals when the heart rate would shoot up or stop as it was monitoring.

So we are left with a few explanations:

1. Goddidit - Ok, so why does god ignore all of the other people's prayers in that hospital when their loved one's heart stops beating?

2. Malfunctioning equipment- Does this equipment malfunction? Certainly, did it malfunction in this case? Maybe.

3. The patient responded to 45 MINUTES OF TRAINED MEDICAL STAFF working on him! Have patients responded to trained medical staff working on them? Yes, absolutely.

So what are we left with?

Two plausible explanations, with one implausible explanation. Remember, this kid didn't go through the hospital and cure everyone with his prayers, he wasn't able to do do this repeatedly to demonstrate it was a real supernatural power that he had.

Explanations 2 and 3 are the more plausible explanations, without anymore evidence then that, there is no reason to presume anything else.

If someone wants to use this as a prop for their beliefs, then I suppose they can do that, but I wouldn't find it convincing in the least until we had better evidence.

All this is, without evidence, is an example of Post hoc ergo propter hoc thinking.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
07-01-2017, 02:06 PM
I wonder what the numbers are for people that had family members pray that where dieing or had die? How many of those people pulled threw and how many didn't?

Reminds me of that Tim Minchin song "thank you god."

https://youtu.be/IZeWPScnolo

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
07-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Whenever Christians like to claim this Lord Jesus fella performs miracles in a video I like to post online videos of Hindus claiming their Lord Shiva performed miracles too.

I love the videos that show a religious structure surviving a fire or flood is proof of that god. Here's a couple.

I wonder if the US news would even file a report about a statue of Shiva surviving a flood here in the US? Doubt it. But a statue of Jesus....sure!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.