Miracles, prophetic dreams and evile eye?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 09:31 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2017 09:46 AM by Robvalue.)
RE: Miracles, prophetic dreams and evile eye?
(22-04-2017 07:37 AM)no_reason Wrote:  
(22-04-2017 06:06 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  With regard to thinking bad things about someone causing bad things to happen to them...

Again, something bad is going to happen to any particular person eventually. That's life. Also, what does and doesn't count as "bad" is ultimately subjective, further adding to confirmation bias.

I could instead think happy thoughts about a person, and something bad will happen to them eventually.

Will it happen soon after? Maybe, maybe not. But to test out anything like this, you have to set some sort of criteria. Does a single day go by where any particular person experiences not one single thing that they could interpet as "bad"? Seems pretty unlikely to me. So just being alive causes this stuff to happen. It needs no help.

Yes but my grandma every time who thinks or wished bad things about someone those things happened but every time no 1 or 2 how do you explain this?

Yeah, bad things happen to everyone whether your grandma thinks about them or not. That's the explanation. There's no way a serious accident has closely followed every bad thought your grandma has ever had about someone. Can you imagine the carnage? She's just noticed, and reported to you, the times where a bad thought has happened to line up with some bad luck. All the other times she has disregarded. That's confirmation bias.

If she walks into a room and feels she doesn't like anyone there, do they all suddenly keel over in pain? Can she walk down the street and cause random people's legs to break on demand?

If powers such as this really existed they would be powerful, sought-after international weapons.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
22-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Growing up in a culture where these beliefs are prevalent, creates a certain subjective plausibility around the claims that are difficult to appreciate if you didn't grow up with these beliefs. Belief, for example, in the "evil eye" is far from universal, and yet, if this principle were actually true, it would by definition be a universal belief. And yet no one worries about or is concerned about the "evil eye" if they don't even know what it is. This alone tells you that it is just cultural operant conditioning and confirmation bias, no matter what anecdotes people want to tell about how it works.

Since no_reasons did not grow up in Transylvania, I'm guessing he doesn't worry about vampires, and since he did not grow up in parts of the world that nurture the legend of the Abominable Snowman, he hasn't given anywhere near as much thought to the dangers of being out alone in the wilderness in winter as do people who grew up on those particular campfire stories.

I'm also guessing he doesn't worry near as much about burning forever in a lake of fire as someone who grew up in Bible Belt rural America.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
22-04-2017, 02:21 PM
(22-04-2017 12:44 PM)mordant Wrote:  Growing up in a culture where these beliefs are prevalent, creates a certain subjective plausibility around the claims that are difficult to appreciate if you didn't grow up with these beliefs. Belief, for example, in the "evil eye" is far from universal, and yet, if this principle were actually true, it would by definition be a universal belief. And yet no one worries about or is concerned about the "evil eye" if they don't even know what it is. This alone tells you that it is just cultural operant conditioning and confirmation bias, no matter what anecdotes people want to tell about how it works.

Since no_reasons did not grow up in Transylvania, I'm guessing he doesn't worry about vampires, and since he did not grow up in parts of the world that nurture the legend of the Abominable Snowman, he hasn't given anywhere near as much thought to the dangers of being out alone in the wilderness in winter as do people who grew up on those particular campfire stories.

I'm also guessing he doesn't worry near as much about burning forever in a lake of fire as someone who grew up in Bible Belt rural America.

Yes I grow in Greece and I don't worry about vampires and none in my country but there are many (and some atheists) in Greece who believe in evil eye
22-04-2017, 02:47 PM
(22-04-2017 02:21 PM)no_reason Wrote:  Yes I grow in Greece and I don't worry about vampires and none in my country but there are many (and some atheists) in Greece who believe in evil eye

Every culture has its strange superstitions. Here people knock on wood for luck, throw salt over their shoulder to avoid bad luck, and generally avoid breaking mirrors (7 years bad luck!). The Scandanavians are some of the most secular cultures on Earth but many of them believe in trolls. The chinese have a list as long as your arm of lucky/unucky superstitions.

None of them are any more real than the others. Next time your grandmother's evil eye starts twitching just send some trolls after her.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
22-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Shouldn't this be in the bullshit section? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
22-04-2017, 06:48 PM
(22-04-2017 07:37 AM)no_reason Wrote:  
(22-04-2017 06:06 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  With regard to thinking bad things about someone causing bad things to happen to them...

Again, something bad is going to happen to any particular person eventually. That's life. Also, what does and doesn't count as "bad" is ultimately subjective, further adding to confirmation bias.

I could instead think happy thoughts about a person, and something bad will happen to them eventually.

Will it happen soon after? Maybe, maybe not. But to test out anything like this, you have to set some sort of criteria. Does a single day go by where any particular person experiences not one single thing that they could interpet as "bad"? Seems pretty unlikely to me. So just being alive causes this stuff to happen. It needs no help.

Yes but my grandma every time who thinks or wished bad things about someone those things happened but every time no 1 or 2 how do you explain this?

So her god is too puny, impotent, busy and weak to prevent this, and keep his plan going ? Her god's will is subject to every dime-store cursing idiot, and protects no one ? Her bad thoughts are more powerful than god's will ? The granny thinks a bit much of herself. Weeping She thinks SHE can alter god's plan ? Wow. And I thought MY granny was a powerful women.
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Is it just certain people that supposedly have this evil eye ability? I mean, if everyone in Greece has it, I'm surprised anyone is left alive.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
23-04-2017, 04:54 AM
(22-04-2017 09:36 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Is it just certain people that supposedly have this evil eye ability? I mean, if everyone in Greece has it, I'm surprised anyone is left alive.

Not all greeks have the evil eye ability but my mom said to me that there are some people who have the ability to affect other people I don't know if it's true and I don't believe in evil eye but I see and I hear some weird stories about miracles,prophetic dreams and evil eye and I want to listen your opinions about them.
23-04-2017, 05:03 AM
People tend to receive the evil eye because of their douchebaggery and being a douchebag often leads to calamity all by itself. Tongue

living word
23-04-2017, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2017 05:27 AM by Robvalue.)
(23-04-2017 04:54 AM)no_reason Wrote:  
(22-04-2017 09:36 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Is it just certain people that supposedly have this evil eye ability? I mean, if everyone in Greece has it, I'm surprised anyone is left alive.

Not all greeks have the evil eye ability but my mom said to me that there are some people who have the ability to affect other people I don't know if it's true and I don't believe in evil eye but I see and I hear some weird stories about miracles,prophetic dreams and evil eye and I want to listen your opinions about them.

I see, yeah.

All I can do is offer what appears to be the most likely explanation. It is well known how easily fooled people can be by confirmation bias (like with prayer). Nothing out of the ordinary is happening here. People are constructing links between events after the fact. To test if there was anything in it, there would have to be some proper criteria set up. I would bet any money you like that it would all fall apart under scrutiny.

But of course I can't be certain of anything. If someone could really do this though, they could debilitate prominent people they didn't like such as politicians.